Bogus Weather Forecasts

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2023, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts
Default Bogus Weather Forecasts

Every morning, I check the Weather Channel app to see if it is going to rain. Today, it said that there was a 71 percent chance for rain at 5 pm. But, now, at 3 pm, the chance for rain at 5 pm is only 40 percent. I understand that a forecast can change, but this pattern occurs almost every day. The chance for rain at 5 pm is very high in the early morning, but then it decreases as the time gets closer to 5 pm. It almost never increases. It happens so often that I believe that the forecasters are intentionally publishing a higher chance for rain in the morning than the data actually suggests. Has anyone else noticed this trend and is there a logical explanation?
Old 09-27-2023, 02:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Every morning, I check the Weather Channel app to see if it is going to rain. Today, it said that there was a 71 percent chance for rain at 5 pm. But, now, at 3 pm, the chance for rain at 5 pm is only 40 percent. I understand that a forecast can change, but this pattern occurs almost every day. The chance for rain at 5 pm is very high in the early morning, but then it decreases as the time gets closer to 5 pm. It almost never increases. It happens so often that I believe that the forecasters are intentionally publishing a higher chance for rain in the morning than the data actually suggests. Has anyone else noticed this trend and is there a logical explanation?
I’ve noticed the same. I’ve always found the weather channel app close to accurate in other places I’ve lived, but here it is way off continually, to the point I don’t even bother with it anymore. When I first moved here, I would cancel/rearrange/modify my plans based on the prediction of rain (like over 70%), that never occurred.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

They should probably find new forecasters. Or send them back to school
Old 09-27-2023, 02:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

The chance of rain at 5pm is usually pretty high if you listen to our local radio on air personnel. Sometimes I think they try to discourage square entertainment attendance.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
The chance of rain at 5pm is usually pretty high if you listen to our local radio on air personnel. Sometimes I think they try to discourage square entertainment attendance.
Well, I expect weather forecasters to base their forecast on hard, scientific data, not on their own agenda. Obviously, they don't.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I look at the weather apps, but I don't trust them.

I almost 'bagged' a planned 2-night vacation a few months ago because the weather apps all forecasted severe T-storms in Clearwater.

I ended up going (with an umbrella) .... the weather was perfect.

Next time around (if there is a next time) I plan on being a weather forecaster. When you're right everyone says "Well, he called it." When you're wrong, you get a pass and people think, "Thank goodness he had it wrong." It's a win / win career choice.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Old 09-27-2023, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Same here, sprinkling this morning, wasn't feeling great, cancelled golf due to large cloud on the radar moving towards TV. . . no rain since 8 AM. . wife is irritated that I cancelled for rain and none happened. .

that forecast also caused my sprinkler to weather delay for rain most of the summer.

Rain actually came for a few minutes at 6PM. . . light and not the flood TWC was predicting. .
Old 09-27-2023, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Same here, sprinkling this morning, wasn't feeling great, cancelled golf due to large cloud on the radar moving towards TV. . . no rain since 8 AM. . wife is irritated that I cancelled for rain and none happened. .

that forecast also caused my sprinkler to weather delay for rain most of the summer.

Rain actually came for a few minutes at 6PM. . . light and not the flood TWC was predicting. .
We now have a hard drizzle, oops now pouring over here. Excuse me if I keep it here for an hour or so as we need it

Last edited by Stu from NYC; 09-27-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:42 PM

Soooo, is there another app that has more reliable forecasts? From what I can see, they are all wrong randomly, but not necessarily at the same time.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Soooo, is there another app that has more reliable forecasts? From what I can see, they are all wrong randomly, but not necessarily at the same time.
I like to look out our window or sometimes our driveway look around and forecast.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,521 Times in 3,108 Posts

It was raining up at my end of the Villages for awhile, starting some time around 3pm. By 3:30 it was pouring in some spots. It stopped around 3:45 and the sun came out a little while later. And then, around 5, the sky was almost black just to the north of our house.

WeatherBug is usually pretty accurate, so that's what I use on my cell phone.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Forecast really are for Orlando and space coast. We don’t matter way up here.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:58 AM
Sage

If you live in FL long enough you'll know that the rains can be spotty....for instance it's pouring at LSL but the sun is shining in Colony. Was talking with a person (I didn't know) last week about how a lot of the weather patterns seem to hit all around us but it's pouring in Leesburg or in Belleview but it's passed us. We'll see black sky to the east (or west) and hear thunder but nothing happens. Squalls also happen while the sun is shining. Weather here isn't like what we were used to up north.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:11 AM

Quote:
No different here than anywhere else we have lived, seems like they guess at what might happen, if it does they look great if not, oh well things changed in the upper atmosphere!
Closed Thread

Tags
rain, chance, morning, weather, percent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.