Carl Sagan and Hot Claims

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2023, 10:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Carl Sagan and Hot Claims

Hear how Carl Sagan misled Congress about the Venus runaway greenhouse affect - and find out how the media exaggerates global warming while failing to mention the ongoing 8-year global cooling trend. July 10 at 1 PM at Bridgeport, at the Science & Technology club meeting.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Old 07-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Can we get more current than 1985?
Old 07-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Though I disagreed with some of his positions and takes on things, I do miss Carl Sagan's presence in media. Who can forget his hypnotic voice when hosting "Cosmos", which is pretty rudimentary by today's standards but cutting-edge in the 1980s.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

I wish these seminars were on youtube
Old 07-09-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
Hear how Carl Sagan misled Congress about the Venus runaway greenhouse affect - and find out how the media exaggerates global warming while failing to mention the ongoing 8-year global cooling trend. July 10 at 1 PM at Bridgeport, at the Science & Technology club meeting.
But as we both know, the climate change weenies DON'T want to hear it
Old 07-09-2023, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,521 Times in 3,108 Posts

I read the hearing report from AP, and Sagan's original paper on the subject. I'm not seeing that he misled anyone. He gave his theory, supported it with the scientific data available at the time, and brought it to the most likely conclusion. That's what science is all about. You pose a question, do fact finding and data gathering, and attempt to answer the question.

There might be facts you don't know yet - information missing, new technology able to reveal things you would not have been capable of knowing previously. And so your answer might change. That doesn't make it misleading. It just makes it inaccurate. You can be wrong, and not be lying.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

So tell me. Are they going to have the flat-earthers there? The JFK-QAnon folk? How about a delegation of Russians that believe Ukraine needed de-Nazification?

Yeah, I used to believe that climate change wasn't real. Eventually the evidence was overwhelming. I even remember the particular piece of evidence that convinced me that maybe a lay-person like me didn't know as much as I thought I did. After all, that's really what science is - discovering more information. And if the new, verifiable, repeatable information refutes the previous assumptions, it's time for new conclusions.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
hear how carl sagan misled congress about the venus runaway greenhouse affect - and find out how the media exaggerates global warming while failing to mention the ongoing 8-year global cooling trend. July 10 at 1 pm at bridgeport, at the science & technology club meeting.
or you give us your take on the issue for the thousands of us ( idk #) who will not be present.
Old 07-10-2023, 04:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Denying the Heat will put you in a nice cool grave! Be careful out there.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Is global warming real or is it a global conspiracy, I'm not a scientist so I can't give you a definitive answer. What I know is having a conspiracy of that magnitude would be unlikely. What has to be weighted here is if it is a hoax, we wasted time, money and resources that could have been used somewhere else. But if it is real, we would be saving mankind. I don't know about anyone else, but I always like to take the inconvenience on the side of some extra protection.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
So tell me. Are they going to have the flat-earthers there? The JFK-QAnon folk? How about a delegation of Russians that believe Ukraine needed de-Nazification?

Yeah, I used to believe that climate change wasn't real. Eventually the evidence was overwhelming. I even remember the particular piece of evidence that convinced me that maybe a lay-person like me didn't know as much as I thought I did. After all, that's really what science is - discovering more information. And if the new, verifiable, repeatable information refutes the previous assumptions, it's time for new conclusions.
Agreed. There are far too many people on this earth who have no understanding of science. Faith only takes you so far.

The earth is flat, JFK Jr is alive and well, and a warming planet is fake news. We’re all frogs in that big old pot of slowly boiling water. Fortunately for us it will not affect us too much, but it will our kids and grand children. But it’s possible that along with bad things there could be some good things to come of it. No more need for winter coats up north.

Time is telling.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post

Yup to all of the above. Well said. But why trust scientists? With the internet, apparently everyone is an expert.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:28 AM

Do your own research, draw your own conclusions. I feel that whatever the conclusion its nothing I can change and its effects are beyond my future. That leads me to not really caring one way or another.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:46 AM

You gotta love how science is now evolving with NEW previously unknown information. I can remember a few phrases thrown around if you question, let's say, COVID, global warming, vaccine efficacy... "Science Denier, Conspiracy Theorist, Climate Denier". The question isn't "Is the atmosphere warming"? The question is "Why"? I guess it has nothing to do with the 27 million degree orb that we revolve around. "Every 1.5 millionths of a second, the sun releases more energy than all humans consume in an entire year according to NASA Space Place." But, we're supposed to believe that if I drive an electric car (how do we produce electricity?), eat less beef because cows fart, and any number of other brilliant ideas, that's what's going to save the planet. I remember reading that if the oceans didn't absorb heat the climate would be even warmer and if trees didn't use CO2 and convert it to oxygen there would be a higher concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. Maybe that's just the way God created the earth, the solar system, the universe. It has order and just works. But you think driving an electric car is going to "save the planet"? BTW I'll answer my own question from earlier... 80% of electricity in the US is produced from fossil fuel.
Nobody is saying that we shouldn't be looking into alternative fuels, new technologies, etc. But isn't that the point? Science evolves with NEW previously unknown information.
Closed Thread

Tags
carl, sagan, global, hear, club

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.