Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
I wish these seminars were on youtube
I wish they were anywhere but here.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
Hear how Carl Sagan misled Congress about the Venus runaway greenhouse affect - and find out how the media exaggerates global warming while failing to mention the ongoing 8-year global cooling trend. July 10 at 1 PM at Bridgeport, at the Science & Technology club meeting.
Keep Drinking that Kool-Aide! Pathetic!
Old 07-10-2023, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hear how Carl Sagan misled Congress about the Venus runaway greenhouse affect - and find out how the media exaggerates global warming while failing to mention the ongoing 8-year global cooling trend. July 10 at 1 PM at Bridgeport, at the Science & Technology club meeting.
Pictures don't lie...Please explain why there is picture after picture of widespread glacial melt? Sounding..... dude I think it's time you get a new thermometer!!!
Old 07-10-2023, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Pictures don't lie...Please explain why there is picture after picture of widespread glacial melt? Sounding..... dude I think it's time you get a new thermometer!!!
How do you know that the pictures you see are an honest representation of what is going on in our world?
Old 07-10-2023, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Pictures don't lie. The people choosing WHICH pictures to show DO lie. Yes, there are PARTS of the Antarctic ice shelf that are melting, and there are OTHER PARTS that are growing. Best estimates from scientists without an agenda is there is net zero melting to slight growing of the Antarctic ice.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
Is global warming real or is it a global conspiracy, I'm not a scientist so I can't give you a definitive answer. What I know is having a conspiracy of that magnitude would be unlikely. What has to be weighted here is if it is a hoax, we wasted time, money and resources that could have been used somewhere else. But if it is real, we would be saving mankind. I don't know about anyone else, but I always like to take the inconvenience on the side of some extra protection.
I would ask How will we save mankind? Exactly what would you propose. How would you propose we get India and other developing countries to participate. From their point of view, we went through our industrial revolution and are now putting a damper on theirs. I "believe" current EV's result in more pollution than gas autos. On top of that, many Associations in Florida are banning EV's, including bikes, due to the fire risk and their insurance carrier not allowing them. Windmills kill millions of birds a year and are not remotely close to replacing current electric generating methods. I would propose that someone (government?) present a plan. 1/3rd of Nevada to be used for solar energy to power the US (something I heard Musk discuss). Give us the cost and timeline. All I see promoted now is Ban pipelines, ban gas ovens, ban wood burning stoves with no reasonable, affordable alternative presented.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
How do you know that the pictures you see are an honest representation of what is going on in our world?
Thats your answer....answer a question with another question. OK....How do you know the pictures you see are not correct? So are you saying everyone is lying??? It appears in your world everything you do not agree with is a lie. Very disturbing........
Old 07-10-2023, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Pictures don't lie. The people choosing WHICH pictures to show DO lie. Yes, there are PARTS of the Antarctic ice shelf that are melting, and there are OTHER PARTS that are growing. Best estimates from scientists without an agenda is there is net zero melting to slight growing of the Antarctic ice.
Well I've flown over the Greenland ice cap routinely while in the military, and have been to Glacier NP. several times. I've personally seen it. Can you say the same??? I'll wait.......
Old 07-10-2023, 08:21 AM
Default Climate

Quote:
Climate change is not a new concept. It has been happening for millions of years throughout the billions of years of our planets history. Now it is a political weapon, but the beat goes on for many more millions of years to come. Nothing will change that fact.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
So tell me. Are they going to have the flat-earthers there? The JFK-QAnon folk? How about a delegation of Russians that believe Ukraine needed de-Nazification?

Yeah, I used to believe that climate change wasn't real. Eventually the evidence was overwhelming. I even remember the particular piece of evidence that convinced me that maybe a lay-person like me didn't know as much as I thought I did. After all, that's really what science is - discovering more information. And if the new, verifiable, repeatable information refutes the previous assumptions, it's time for new conclusions.
Some of us don’t necessarily question that the earth is warming. What we are questioning is 1) the cause. CO2 makes up around 0.04% of the earth’s atmosphere compared 96.5% of Venus’. How can humans and their cars and cows cause the earth to warm when CO2 and methane is such a small % of our atmosphere. If the earth is warming, could it be just part of the natural cycle? Could it be lack of health plankton in the oceans “breathing in the CO2 and releasing O2. Could it be concrete sinks ie parking lots? . I could list a dozen more theories. Some should be debated some should not. And 2) the potential severity global warming? Does it really matter? Will it peak? Is the sky really falling? Many well respected climatologists have raised these questions. The science is far from settled, but the debate has been cancelled by the usual suspects. That’s the problem.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:37 AM

climate change is not real its call brain washing and it happens over time
Old 07-10-2023, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Ive been on 2 Operation Deepfreeze to Antarctica and 1 Northern Polar Operation. Been there, seen it it’s happening. Sea ice is not the issue it’s the land ice/glaciers are disappearing.

Last edited by Keefelane66; 07-10-2023 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 07-10-2023, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Well I've flown over the Greenland ice cap routinely while in the military, and have been to Glacier NP. several times. I've personally seen it. Can you say the same??? I'll wait.......
And what does that prove???---NOTHING.

Unless you have flown over every ice pack on every continent and noted the amount of melting on those that are melting and the amount of growth on those that are growing and determined the volume of each, that statement is just anecdotal nonsense.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
So tell me. Are they going to have the flat-earthers there? The JFK-QAnon folk? How about a delegation of Russians that believe Ukraine needed de-Nazification?

Yeah, I used to believe that climate change wasn't real. Eventually the evidence was overwhelming. I even remember the particular piece of evidence that convinced me that maybe a lay-person like me didn't know as much as I thought I did. After all, that's really what science is - discovering more information. And if the new, verifiable, repeatable information refutes the previous assumptions, it's time for new conclusions.
Of course climate change is real! Look at what happened to the dinosaurs and the bit of fiery lava that came out of the sun, we now call the earth.

What we are questioning, in my opinion, is can the infinitely minuscule entity called man actually have any effect on climate, the earth or in fact, anything in nature? The hubris in us says, Yes! I find it absurd.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:42 AM
Sage

OK, the other climate change thread just got closed, the one implicating media got closed 2 days ago, and I suspect this one is on life support----the question is why???? I was unable to find anything political or outright nasty on either, just the normal hot topic debate with a few gentle insults and name calling, no different than most threads. I'm not going to risk stating my theory as to why this is happening , but I think most of us can guess.
Closed Thread

Tags
carl, sagan, global, hear, club

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.