Category 6 Hurricanes?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2024, 10:17 PM
Veteran member
Default Category 6 Hurricanes?

Recent news chatter about creating a new Category 6 Hurricane metric is just nonsense -- because, in the end, no matter what scaling is used, the trend will still show a downward trend. Don't fall for these junk science articles -- just look at the data to see reality -- global warming is reducing hurricane frequency and strength.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	hurricane.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	102666  
Old 02-06-2024, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Rest assured. Any new label selected will be for one thing. Shock value.

In our day and age, actual information is becoming more and more irrelevant.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Already here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Rest assured. Any new label selected will be for one thing. Shock value.

In our day and age, actual information is becoming more and more irrelevant.
Arctic blast is being changed to Polar Vortex
Pineapple Express sounds better as Atmospheric River

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-06-2024, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

So over the last 43 years it has happened 5 times. All 5 have been in the last decade. The wind speed for Cat 5 is 157 MPH or more. The paper looking at these much more intense hurricanes/typhoons suggests that an additional Cat 6 is needed to differentiate these much more intense storms.

...[/URL].
Makes sense to me. Why would anyone be bothered by this?
Old 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM

My two cents…. There is no such thing as Global Warming and Man can not control the weather! I am not talking about air pollution that is a different story. We need clean air to breath!
Old 02-06-2024, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Makes sense to me. Why would anyone be bothered by this?
Maybe 99 categories would even be even better. And in the end ... the trend will be downwards.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Hurricane and typhoon numbers are decreasing, study finds, even as they become more destructive | CNN

Except in the North Atlantic where they are increasing.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Quote:
True that. But in Minnesota they were never referred to as an "arctic blast". Instead, "Canadian high" was the descriptor of choice for as long as I can remember. Canadian Highs were welcome: they usually came after a period of bad weather (blizzard or several-day snowfall) and were characterized by clear, bright blue skies, cold(er) temps and wind. Good skiing weather, and especially welcome after being cooped up in the house for days on end while Mother Nature buried everything in sight with a white blanket.

Then, maybe 20 years ago or so, we heard no more about "Canadian Highs". Instead, "Polar Vortex" came into vogue. Unlike Canadian Highs, Polar Vortex forecasts came with ominous warnings about falling temps, often with descriptions of what frostbite consisted of, sober advice to parents about how to keep Junior bundled up, in sight of parents or caretakers AT ALL TIME when outside, things like that.

Bottom line: Canadian Highs were welcome events. Polar Vortexes were not. But they were just two different names for precisely the same weather event.

Heard an interview with one of the local weather guys in Duluth, MN, about the name change. He admitted that it had been done precisely for the shock value.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
True that. But in Minnesota they were never referred to as an "arctic blast". Instead, "Canadian high" was the descriptor of choice for as long as I can remember. Canadian Highs were welcome: they usually came after a period of bad weather (blizzard or several-day snowfall) and were characterized by clear, bright blue skies, cold(er) temps and wind. Good skiing weather, and especially welcome after being cooped up in the house for days on end while Mother Nature buried everything in sight with a white blanket.

Then, maybe 20 years ago or so, we heard no more about "Canadian Highs". Instead, "Polar Vortex" came into vogue. Unlike Canadian Highs, Polar Vortex forecasts came with ominous warnings about falling temps, often with descriptions of what frostbite consisted of, sober advice to parents about how to keep Junior bundled up, in sight of parents or caretakers AT ALL TIME when outside, things like that.

Bottom line: Canadian Highs were welcome events. Polar Vortexes were not. But they were just two different names for precisely the same weather event.

Heard an interview with one of the local weather guys in Duluth, MN, about the name change. He admitted that it had been done precisely for the shock value.

Climate trends | Minnesota DNR

My last days in Minnesota were right around late November of 1991. We had just gone through a blizzard. 1991 Halloween blizzard - Wikipedia
Old 02-06-2024, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Those who come to the Weather Club know that's just more propaganda.

1. Although global storms are down, N. Atlantic storms are up because the AMO is in its warming cycle - which will soon end.

2. "Destruction" has nothing to do with hurricane frequency or energy -- but it has everything to do with people choosing to live dangerously -- like in tornado alley and along hurricane prone shores -- without proper building construction and without necessary support services. It's an education problem -- not a climate problem.

Last edited by sounding; 02-06-2024 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Climate trends | Minnesota DNR

My last days in Minnesota were right around late November of 1991. We had just gone through a blizzard. 1991 Halloween blizzard - Wikipedia
Oh yeah! I remember it well. I lived up in Duluth at the time. I recall that Halloween day and early evening: unseasonably warm, but you could tell something was coming. We ended up with just a hair shy of 40" of snow on that one.

I remember about Day Three, and cabin fever was setting in. I grabbed my XC skiis and headed out, thinking I'd be the only one out there. Was I wrong! The streets were filled with people on skiis! For about five days 6th Avenue East was the best ski run in the state.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
Those who come to the Weather Club know that's just more propaganda.

1. Although global storms are down, N. Atlantic storms are up because the AMO is in its warming cycle - which will soon end.

2. "Destruction" has nothing to do with hurricane frequency or energy -- but it has everything to do with people choosing to live dangerously -- like in tornado alley and along hurricane prone shores -- without proper building construction and without necessary support services. It's an education problem -- not a climate problem.
The Weather Club basically seems to spout propaganda with almost no real science.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:

A rose by any other name still has thorns. Maybe, just maybe the "shock value" saved a life by making people aware that the otherwise welcome event came with otherwise overlooked dangers.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
I like pineapple!
Old 02-06-2024, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The Weather Club basically seems to spout propaganda with almost no real science.
That's just another claim - unsupported by data - just like there is no data proving man-made CO2 harms our climate - but there is data proving it helps our climate.
Closed Thread

Tags
category, trend, hurricane, fall, junk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.