Climate Change v Global Warming

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have no doubt that you believe that. Seriously, I don’t really care what you believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, second bet. I'll bet that I have a lot more expertise than a "Google expert"
Old 12-14-2022, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I have no doubt that you believe that. Seriously, I don’t really care what you believe.
So, in other words, you won't bet and concede.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Whatever makes you happy.

Quote:
So, in other words, you won't bet and concede.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Whatever makes you happy.
Thank you.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Best estimates have anthropogenic warming at about 1C. While we have been in an interglacial period for about 12,000 years and will continue to warm and experience the resultant increases in sea levels, there is concern that anthropogenic increases will also continue. The concern is essentially for the next 100 years. A further anthropogenic increase of 2-3 C would have geopolitical consequences. You can not find anyone who actually understands the science to dispute that there has been anthropogenic warming. What is debated is how much has occurred and how much more additional anthropogenic warming will occur. The current models tend to run warm in the equatorial mid-troposphere when retrospective run are examined. In my opinion, as someone who actually developed atmospheric models for the Government, the models are not really ready as a tool for developing public policy. Unfortunately, it is the 8.5 scenario that the media and politicians have focused on.

To ease the handwringing and apoplectic worrying, a glimmer of hope:

Did anyone see the headlines yesterday stating US Scientists have made a major breakthrough in ‘limitless, zero-carbon’ fusion energy discovery? I would think if we can develop a vaccine in less than a year, we should be able to develop this fusion energy with lightspeed shortly, if this pans out. This appears to be phenomenal news!

*Notice I didn’t say implement, I said develop…
Old 12-14-2022, 04:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ignorance is bliss.

Quote:
Thank you.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would not get too excited. There is often a big span between doing the basic science and engineering large scale production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
To ease the handwringing and apoplectic worrying, a glimmer of hope:

Did anyone see the headlines yesterday stating US Scientists have made a major breakthrough in ‘limitless, zero-carbon’ fusion energy discovery? I would think if we can develop a vaccine in less than a year, we should be able to develop this fusion energy with lightspeed shortly, if this pans out. This appears to be phenomenal news!

*Notice I didn’t say implement, I said develop…
Old 12-14-2022, 04:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I would not get too excited. There is often a big span between doing the basic science and engineering large scale production.
There shouldn’t be a big span in this day and age of innovation and stock market investments to say nothing of the panicked global warming brigade. Of course, there probably will be pushback from the solar investors.

Sadly, hesitation on the USA’s part will give China control over that discovery too.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

What was accomplished is the creation of more energy than went into the process. This is an important milestone but commercial production is still a long ways away. The engineering and regulatory hurdles are immense.

Quote:
There shouldn’t be a big span in this day and age of innovation and stock market investments to say nothing of the panicked global warming brigade. Of course, there probably will be pushback from the solar investors.

Sadly, hesitation on the USA’s part will give China control over that discovery too.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
What was accomplished is the creation of more energy than went into the process. This is an important milestone but commercial production is still a long ways away.
It is only a long ways off if desired. Will you and I see it’s implementation? Most likely not, but perhaps this discovery will lead to a successful solution. Global warming resolution isn’t required this minute, but it’s development needs to begin.

I’m somewhat surprised by the lack of enthusiasm by climate theorists. I would think they would be all over the discovery and examine it’s possibilities rather than panning the announcement.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Who panned it? I doubt you can find anyone who doesn’t think this is good progress. However, it will be a long time before we see commercial fusion power. How long? Who knows but I doubt within my lifetime.

Quote:
It is only a long ways off if desired. Will you and I see it’s implementation? Most likely not, but perhaps this discovery will lead to a successful solution. Global warming resolution isn’t required this minute, but it’s development needs to begin.

I’m somewhat surprised by the lack of enthusiasm by climate theorists. I would think they would be all over the discovery and examine it’s possibilities rather than panning the announcement.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Who panned it? I doubt you can find anyone who doesn’t think this is good progress. However, it will be a long time before we see commercial fusion power. How long? Who knows but I doubt within my lifetime.
We’re old and we won’t see diesel construction equipment and factories turned to solar or wind before we die either. I believe we will have commercial fusion power eons before solar and wind for those endeavors.

I’d rather celebrate the half full glass, go America!
Old 12-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.
And that is a complete misquote.

What Thomas Gray wrote was "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." I see which path you have taken
Old 12-14-2022, 07:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Do you feel better now? Seriously dude, take a chill pill.

Quote:
And that is a complete misquote.

What Thomas Gray wrote was "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." I see which path you have taken
Old 12-14-2022, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately, the current narrative by those with an agenda shows that they can.
Yes, thanks to the data that supports it. And the "agenda" is simply to inform the public of the findings, which, if ignored may prove quite problematic in the not to distant future.
Closed Thread

Tags
climate, warming, change, scientists, global

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.