Florida summers... compared to the northern winters

Old 03-20-2024, 02:48 PM
Default Florida summers... compared to the northern winters

For any of you who have lived through a few Florida summers, and northern winters (e.g. Michigan), how does it compare? Is it as grueling, do you get use to it, or make every attempt to escape north during the summer month?

This is my biggest concern moving to the TV. I have owned 2 properties in the past and not something I really want to do at this point in my life. I don't mind the snow, just the gray and lack of sun.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
For any of you who have lived through a few Florida summers, and northern winters (e.g. Michigan), how does it compare? Is it as grueling, do you get use to it, or make every attempt to escape north during the summer month?

This is my biggest concern moving to the TV. I have owned 2 properties in the past and not something I really want to do at this point in my life. I don't mind the snow, just the gray and lack of sun.

In all honestly, I would rent in a warmer area whether it be TV's or not and break up the winter cold that way. If you find that you absolutely love a certain area after 4-5 years, then considering moving. It's surprising how the shine wears off of something you thought you'd love forever and Florida summers are ridiculously hot.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:55 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

I assume the comparison is cold/snow vs. heat, not tornados vs. hurricanes.

I've lived in the North, during the winter, when I was unable to leave the house for a day or two or three (many times).

I've never been trapped in the house, during the summer, for a day or two or three in Florida.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

I've lived in the North, during the winter, when I was unable to leave the house for a day or two or three (many times).

I've never been trapped in the house, during the summer, for a day or two or three in Florida.

Dittos
Old 03-20-2024, 03:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Then you must leave town during the hurricane hits. We have never been housebound for three days because of snow. This is the year of 2024, not 1950 anymore.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:23 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Then you must leave town during the hurricane hits.
Read the post and try to add value.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Read the post and try to add value.
But the value is corrupted. We have friends who live full-time in Florida and they all say the summer heat in murder. At least when it is cold, people can go out during the daytime and don't have to stay housebound. I'm only suggesting the OP consider the downside of full-time Florida living when he could alter his schedule to have it all.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

I'll take swamp ass over these winters any day. Full disclosure, I haven't spent a whole summer there yet. But still, I can jump in a pool or the AC in the house. I'm done with winter. Done.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post

What northern winter?!
Old 03-20-2024, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I'll take swamp ass over these winters any day. Full disclosure, I haven't spent a whole summer there yet. But still, I can jump in a pool or the AC in the house. I'm done with winter. Done.

You aren't alone, there is a new mindset in our country. We don't tolerate snow, day light savings time, 5 day work weeks, willingness to provide for ourselves... the list goes on and on. We are a long, long way from the generations who settled this country and I doubt we'll ever recover that stamina.

I understand you don't want any cold or snow but the OP doesn't want summers that will boil his butt. To each their own but he is entitled to choices.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Hands down I would take a northern winter over a Florida summer. It doesn't snow every day. In fact in the mountains the snow is pretty. The change of seasons is wonderful from the nature standpoint and also the activities. Florida summers are relentless. Every day in the 90's and high humidity. There is no escape. And the next frog post will be you stay inside all winter up north while we stay inside during the daytime in FL summer. Well that's not true. Very few days when we weren't enjoying winter - skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, ice skating, winter festivals. Even snow blowing has a fun factor about it.

Before you all forget the subject it was do you prefer northern winters over Florida summers. The subject was not do I prefer northern winters over Florida winters.

Last edited by rustyp; 03-21-2024 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Not a direct comparison but just summer in FL information. We have lived here year-round for several years. My wife hates the heat but loves the lifestyle.

In the summer we play golf, pickleball, softball, or do any outside activities in the morning. Usually between about 7 and 10 AM. Then we spend most of the day inside in the AC. I usually go to the pool but she doesn't. Trips in the car or cart to go shopping or whatever are easily done.

We venture back outside for other outdoor activities around 5 or 6 PM. I often play 9 holes of golf in late afternoon but she does not. The late afternoon heat does not bother me.

Hope this helps

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-20-2024, 03:44 PM

It actually gets hotter in many parts of the mid-west and upper mid-west during summer than it does here in Florida. Yes, we'll get temps of 93* or so on a pretty regular basis during the summer, but temps above 95* or 96* are rare while in the mid-west, they often hit 97* or hotter several times during a typical summer.

Edit to add: A person quickly learns to do their outside summer activities in Florida in early morning when the temps are upper 70's or mid-morning when they are mid 80's. Don't wait til afternoon to start your pickleball or tennis game.

Last edited by C. C. Rider; 03-20-2024 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
We have never been housebound for three days because of snow. This is the year of 2024, not 1950 anymore.
We have been stuck in a house for three days because of snow & ice and it was not 1950.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

I lived full time in Las Vegas for 5 straight years - The summer high reached 115+ on multiple occasions. Florida summers are way more tolerable than the Southwest. (IMO).

Tags
florida, summers, winters, northern, biggest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.