Florida summers... compared to the northern winters

Old 03-23-2024, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra10100 View Post
You get used to it. You never have to shovel sunshine. It does get HOT somedays but never so hot that I wish I wasn’t here full time. Amazingly enough, the warm helps my aches and pains stay at bay. It’s like living with a heating pad !
If you have a dark painted vehicle, you can BURN your hand touching the body in the summer. Also there is this little thing called HURRICANES.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:36 AM

I would gladly take roughly 3+ months of air condition life over 5+ months stuck inside with the endless days of gray gloomy skies of WNY. It's like getting months of your life back IMO lol
Old 03-23-2024, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4u View Post
I would gladly take roughly 3+ months of air condition life over 5+ months stuck inside with the endless days of gray gloomy skies of WNY. It's like getting months of your life back IMO lol

Absolutely. Welcome to Spring in Massachusetts (this morning)

The Villages Florida
Old 03-23-2024, 08:50 AM

OP where is your NORTH. It seems to me that none of the Northern States have the same winter. I have property in central NH and our winter is nothing like most of you describe. We rarely are shut in the house all day due to snow, we rarely have days without sun and we welcome snow because it brings MONEY into our State, it brings money into our tolls when people travel up to ski or to spend the weekend in their second homes.

So, does winter bother us, NO. There is nothing I cannot have delivered and I do not have to travel in bad weather. During the summer the weather is superb and we have AC when it gets too humid, so it really is all good.

However, I have neighbors in TV who have left Michigan and Wisconsin and describe miserable winters, so it comes down to which part of the North do you want to leave?
Old 03-23-2024, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
TV isn’t on the coast. No leaving for hurricanes.
Plus hurricanes have been decreasing globally - thanks to global warming.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter4u View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post

The Villages Florida
For the record does the picture illustrate a day of being trapped inside?
Old 03-23-2024, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Well, it depends on the rest of the day. Hoping the warmup to ~40 will make the roads passable. Right now the road, while plowed and salted, is not driveable. It's sleeting out and miserable. Could I get out for important work? Yes. Is it the best decision, no. So this is trapped inside.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Thats a dusting for New England standards. Its raining in most of MA and the snow is falling where it is welcomed and contributes to the economy, ski country...as poster previously stated.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Thats a dusting for New England standards. Its raining in most of MA and the snow is falling where it is welcomed and contributes to the economy, ski country...as poster previously stated.
This is ice. It is impossible to use the snow blower as it won't pick it up. Shovel won't get through it. Luckily we both have good 4 wheel drive vehicles and can drive over this in the driveway. I've dropped 50 lb of salt on it already. It is just now getting above freezing so hopefully this won't be too bad for too long. But in the argument about northern winter over southern summer: I can go out in both. I can do things in both. I will be uncomfortable in both, perhaps. But in Florida I put on my shorts and go out. Here I snowblow for an hour, shovel, spread 50-100 lb of salt, drive 3 mph and risk lots of accidents to go out. I can't wait to move south for good.

We are on Wachusett Mountain and this isn't helping their skiing. People prefer powder to ice sheets.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
This is ice. It is impossible to use the snow blower as it won't pick it up. Shovel won't get through it. Luckily we both have good 4 wheel drive vehicles and can drive over this in the driveway. I've dropped 50 lb of salt on it already. It is just now getting above freezing so hopefully this won't be too bad for too long. But in the argument about northern winter over southern summer: I can go out in both. I can do things in both. I will be uncomfortable in both, perhaps. But in Florida I put on my shorts and go out. Here I snowblow for an hour, shovel, spread 50-100 lb of salt, drive 3 mph and risk lots of accidents to go out. I can't wait to move south for good.

We are on Wachusett Mountain and this isn't helping their skiing. People prefer powder to ice sheets.
Just heard the Mount Washington area is all powder. 18" of white powder for skiing. Ski country has been hurt this year by our warm winter. This really is great for the economy.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:

The Villages Florida
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly how many days a year does this Armageddon situation occur ? In Florida you can put your shorts on almost every day. However 90+ degrees and high humidity exists every day from mid June to mid Oct.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I know I should not, but I am going to ask .... why are you going out? Can you really not manage for a day to wait for this to melt?, or do you have a death wish
Old 03-23-2024, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I know I should not, but I am going to ask .... why are you going out? Can you really not manage for a day to wait for this to melt?, or do you have a death wish
I'm not going out. Wife has to go out for work. Hoping the coming heavy rain will wash away enough to salvage Saturday night dinner. But we can stay in. No death wish. Definitely stay home when roads aren't safe.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Honestly how many days a year does this Armageddon situation occur ? In Florida you can put your shorts on almost every day. However 90+ degrees and high humidity exists every day from mid June to mid Oct.
This year was extremely mild. We were in TV for most of February and hired a plow guy since I wouldn't be home. He didn't have to come out once.

Anyhow, usually total days, good question. I'd guess from, say December to March, 20 days of snowmageddon. For me, personally, being outside in the cold is not a fun experience. I'm not into snow sports. I do miss my kids playing hockey and if they were still young and playing I would not want to move south full time. But other than that I have no desire to be outside in the freezing cold.

Also to consider is the fewer daylight hours during winter up north. It really does get depressing.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:26 AM

I left Michigan with my parents at age 15. 1969.

In a bikini on the beach or pool as a kid, I was ecstatic! We had Thanksgiving around a BBQ grill.

Many people don't believe in climate change, but, I have lived thru it here in FL.

It is horribly hot for about 4 months even reaching 100 many days with heat index at108.
It is muggy, stormy, and tons of mosquitos. In Central Florida, the lightning reminds me of Michigan storms. It's serious. Unlike S.Florida.
Many plan their day very early so they can be done by 1 ish.
The summer storms do keep you indoors.
The Winters are colder in Central Florida than we expected. 50 or60 in the day with many very windy days. Our 60 is colder because of humidity. And, here, we do have 2 or 3 days in a row with gloom.
We are subtropical. South of Lake Okeechobee is tropical.

Many folks are pretty happy in North Carolina as a suggestion.

Also, we have allergies that are quite bad 9 months of the year as everything blooms.

Keep a watch on Pollen.com

The main zip code is 32162 and 32163.

Tags
florida, summers, winters, northern, biggest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.