Florida summers... compared to the northern winters

Old 03-23-2024, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMil View Post
I left Michigan with my parents at age 15. 1969.

In a bikini on the beach or pool as a kid, I was ecstatic! We had Thanksgiving around a BBQ grill.

Many people don't believe in climate change, but, I have lived thru it here in FL.

It is horribly hot for about 4 months even reaching 100 many days with heat index at108.
It is muggy, stormy, and tons of mosquitos. In Central Florida, the lightning reminds me of Michigan storms. It's serious. Unlike S.Florida.
Many plan their day very early so they can be done by 1 ish.
The summer storms do keep you indoors.
The Winters are colder in Central Florida than we expected. 50 or60 in the day with many very windy days. Our 60 is colder because of humidity. And, here, we do have 2 or 3 days in a row with gloom.
We are subtropical. South of Lake Okeechobee is tropical.

Many folks are pretty happy in North Carolina as a suggestion.

Also, we have allergies that are quite bad 9 months of the year as everything blooms.

Keep a watch on Pollen.com

The main zip code is 32162 and 32163.
You are going to be in trouble for speaking the truth
Old 03-23-2024, 12:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
This is ice. It is impossible to use the snow blower as it won't pick it up. Shovel won't get through it. Luckily we both have good 4 wheel drive vehicles and can drive over this in the driveway. I've dropped 50 lb of salt on it already. It is just now getting above freezing so hopefully this won't be too bad for too long. But in the argument about northern winter over southern summer: I can go out in both. I can do things in both. I will be uncomfortable in both, perhaps. But in Florida I put on my shorts and go out. Here I snowblow for an hour, shovel, spread 50-100 lb of salt, drive 3 mph and risk lots of accidents to go out. I can't wait to move south for good.

We are on Wachusett Mountain and this isn't helping their skiing. People prefer powder to ice sheets.
Guarantee the Crowley’s have chalked up the ‘23/‘24 ski season as a dud. Pretty sure they’re planning and preparing for Beer Festivals and the summer ahead at this point
Old 03-23-2024, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Guarantee the Crowley’s have chalked up the ‘23/‘24 ski season as a dud. Pretty sure they’re planning and preparing for Beer Festivals and the summer ahead at this point
Yeah they do a good job making snow but definitely not a great season for them.

And we just lost power. Luckily I have a whole house generator.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:

Hopefully it comes back on soon. When I lose power in the northern winter I also lose the heat, even though it is an oil furnace, it needs the electricity to turn on. The generator sounds useful.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Hopefully it comes back on soon. When I lose power in the northern winter I also lose the heat, even though it is an oil furnace, it needs the electricity to turn on. The generator sounds useful.
Power is back on already. But the generator living on a ski mountain was a great investment. We usually lose power for only a few hours. But it’s nice not worrying about it.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,305 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Be careful what you wish for. The Gulf water temperatures are at record levels and could spawn hurricanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If you have a dark painted vehicle, you can BURN your hand touching the body in the summer. Also there is this little thing called HURRICANES.
Which tend to dissipate when they travel 70 miles inland...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-23-2024, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,305 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMil View Post
I left Michigan with my parents at age 15. 1969.

In a bikini on the beach or pool as a kid, I was ecstatic! We had Thanksgiving around a BBQ grill.

Many people don't believe in climate change, but, I have lived thru it here in FL.

It is horribly hot for about 4 months even reaching 100 many days with heat index at108.
It is muggy, stormy, and tons of mosquitos. In Central Florida, the lightning reminds me of Michigan storms. It's serious. Unlike S.Florida.
Many plan their day very early so they can be done by 1 ish.
The summer storms do keep you indoors.
The Winters are colder in Central Florida than we expected. 50 or60 in the day with many very windy days. Our 60 is colder because of humidity. And, here, we do have 2 or 3 days in a row with gloom.
We are subtropical. South of Lake Okeechobee is tropical.

Many folks are pretty happy in North Carolina as a suggestion.

Also, we have allergies that are quite bad 9 months of the year as everything blooms.

Keep a watch on Pollen.com

The main zip code is 32162 and 32163.
The weather at the beach can be quite different than the weather in Central FL...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-23-2024, 06:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Power is back on already. But the generator living on a ski mountain was a great investment. We usually lose power for only a few hours. But it’s nice not worrying about it.
Great to hear. Where I am, just got a lot of rain. (Coastal).
Old 03-23-2024, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Great to hear. Where I am, just got a lot of rain. (Coastal).
Apple weather said I was getting 7 inches. Local weather channel said a dusting to 1". We got about 2" of nasty icy crap.

I was finally able to use the snow blower to push the slush off the driveway. It's gonna be cold tonight and I didn't want an ice sheet so we are now good. All rain now.

But again, I'll take the swamp ass over this. As a younger man I could deal with this but I'm over it.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Apple weather said I was getting 7 inches. Local weather channel said a dusting to 1". We got about 2" of nasty icy crap.

I was finally able to use the snow blower to push the slush off the driveway. It's gonna be cold tonight and I didn't want an ice sheet so we are now good. All rain now.

But again, I'll take the swamp ass over this. As a younger man I could deal with this but I'm over it.
Reminds me of local legendary meteorologist Don Kent when he predicted a dusting to an inch for what became the Blizzard of ‘78. Talk about paralyzing a region. When they used to use clear glass and magic markers to draw out a forecast. Smh
Old 03-23-2024, 07:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,800 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
IF florida is that bad then you all need to try ARizona in the dead heat of 118 plus for days on end! Oh ya its a dry heat sure HOT IS HOT I have been here for 122........degrees that is......not days ! It truly is living in hell.........

I agree, if I had to choose one over the other, definitely Florida.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

I can see why. Not many people over the age of sixty plow/shovel their own snow in our area in middle income America, they hire contractors for that duty.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Which tend to dissipate when they travel 70 miles inland...
And turn into tropical storms or tornadoes. Stay alert when one is forecast.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

I have two siblings with whole house Generac generators and they are the cat’s patooty. The sibs barely notice if power goes out and it’s a seamless process. Good for you!
Old 03-23-2024, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
This is ice. It is impossible to use the snow blower as it won't pick it up. Shovel won't get through it. Luckily we both have good 4 wheel drive vehicles and can drive over this in the driveway. I've dropped 50 lb of salt on it already. It is just now getting above freezing so hopefully this won't be too bad for too long. But in the argument about northern winter over southern summer: I can go out in both. I can do things in both. I will be uncomfortable in both, perhaps. But in Florida I put on my shorts and go out. Here I snowblow for an hour, shovel, spread 50-100 lb of salt, drive 3 mph and risk lots of accidents to go out. I can't wait to move south for good.

We are on Wachusett Mountain and this isn't helping their skiing. People prefer powder to ice sheets.
I imagine most people can compare your mountain weather to life elsewhere. Obviously, you’re going to have extremes in comparison.

Tags
florida, summers, winters, northern, biggest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.