Getting even more disgusted....

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2023, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default Getting even more disgusted....

I generally watch WFTV (ABC affiliate) in the morning for local news and weather. I have no idea about other stations, but for the last 2 weeks they have been pushing harder than ever their narrative of high temperatures. This morning they claimed that we have substantially higher temps than normal, and used the terms "unprecedented", and "dangerous". What is insidious is their use of "heat index" almost to the exclusion of actual temperatures so they can put triple number digits on their map. No comparison of these "heat indices" with past values are given.

OK, actual high temps in the Villages 7/27-8/3----94,96,95,96,96,98,96 avg 95.86
Oh, wait a minute, that was LAST year
This year, same dates---89,90,96,97,91,95,93 avg 93.00 or 2.86 deg COOLER
This is what the weatherman claimed is "substantially higher than usual". So I'm calling BS on that.
I can only assume that the news media has access to more complete temperature data than those numbers I just pulled off the accuweather website, so clearly they are LYING TO US. Why???? Is there an agenda at work here?

Meanwhile, pretty much all of Central Florida is under a heat advisory, which the weatherman stated was unusual. True, there was no heat advisory this time last year when it was 2.86 degrees WARMER. So why is that?

Well, heat advisories are issued by the National Weather Service, a division of NOAA which falls under the Department of Commerce, lead by a cabinet level secretary.
So, here is what they are doing:
"Today, U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina M. Raimondo announced funding opportunities from NOAA's $2.96 billion in Infrastructure Law funds to address the climate crisis and strengthen coastal resilience and infrastructure. Over the next five years, NOAA’s targeted investments in the areas of habitat restoration, coastal resilience, and climate data and services will advance ongoing federal efforts toward building climate resilience.

Looks like they're getting plenty of media support for their "efforts"

Draw your own conclusions, but IMHO it appears that reporting temps as heat indices, issuing heat advisories when it is actually cooler than last year, and Good Morning America's lead story every day on the weather serves to push the continuing false narrative of "global warming", for which a few figure to profit immensely.

Addendum: This morning's GMA story is about a glacier they hunted for that is melting at an "unprecedented" rate. Probably true, but there are other glaciers that are growing. And in another 40,000 years those glaciers will grow 2 miles of ice over much of the Northern Hemisphere.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Your grandchildren are just going to love the world we're leaving for them.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Socially and politically I have no idea. But in terms of climate it will be no different in the next 5-10,000 years than it has been in the last 5-10,000, barring a substantial asteroid impact
Old 08-07-2023, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

if you say it long enough it becomes fact

how fables and fairy tales are created

I am sure that if we throw Billions/Trillions of dollars at "the climate," we will be just fine.
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post

If it gets hot enough the dinosaurs may return
Old 08-07-2023, 06:38 AM

Try comparing the long range forecasts with actual measurements. Talking about early spring time reports that the upcoming summer will be so much hotter than previous years.
That's been wrong for years. If they were all correct, then our summer highs would be 140deg by now.
There's big money in global warming.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
If it gets hot enough the dinosaurs may return
Who knows? It's possible. But it will probably take another 65 million years. Meanwhile, the anthropogenic climate change advocates with their agenda (which generally translates to $$$) want to convince you that our grandchildren will die from the heat. (After all, cashing in on this false narrative in 65 million years is not what they are aiming for)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

It's actually both. I've been in 100+ temps in Az where the humidity was low - it felt pretty comfortable. In Md where we get 80-90 degree temps but a high humidity it felt terrible. Here in Fl it is usually somewhere in between.

Have you found a site that gives both temperature and humidity measurements for each day in 2021, 2022, and 2023? Post the link and I'll get the heat index numbers for late July and early August so we can compare apples to apples.

But you can't ignore the value of hysteria either. I remember not so long ago when we heard forecasts of hurricanes about to hit or tropical storms about to become hurricanes. Now we hear forecasts of tropical disturbances that might become tropical depressions that might become tropical storms that might become hurricanes that might come close to the States. No one really cares if it's warm again today but if they can announce the EXTREMELY HEAT DANGER then they get viewers and can sell advertising.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-07-2023, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

I am not clever enough to agree or refute the climate argument.
All I know is that in my lifetime the UK winters have been slowly getting less severe.
Summers have been summers, some good, some not so good.
This year has been crap. Rain and lower temps prevail.
Funny thing is, our BBC weather which is very pro-global warming, has mainly reported on extreme temps in other countries to bang their drum, as apposed to our own more normal and cooler temps.
I still can't see how it is 'our fault' the weather/climate is changing due to emissions, as when I was a kid the air was foul, thick Smog, smoke, lead filled car exhausts etc. whilst now it is basically clear and seems fine.
I still see the changes as a natural phenomenon, not a man made situation.
Sad thing is, I will never know which side of the argument is correct!
Old 08-07-2023, 07:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I am not clever enough to agree or refute the climate argument.
All I know is that in my lifetime the UK winters have been slowly getting less severe.
Summers have been summers, some good, some not so good.
This year has been crap. Rain and lower temps prevail.
Funny thing is, our BBC weather which is very pro-global warming, has mainly reported on extreme temps in other countries to bang their drum, as apposed to our own more normal and cooler temps.
I still can't see how it is 'our fault' the weather/climate is changing due to emissions, as when I was a kid the air was foul, thick Smog, smoke, lead filled car exhausts etc. whilst now it is basically clear and seems fine.
I still see the changes as a natural phenomenon, not a man made situation.

Sad thing is, I will never know which side of the argument is correct!
But, but, but...... The narrative they are cramming down your throat is that global warming is due to human activity specifically burning fossil fuels. But we have been warming (in the current cycle) for 20,000 years.

I have issued this challenge numerous times to the acolytes of those who would profit from monies spent on "climate change": What make and model of SUV did Fred Flintstone drive???
Old 08-07-2023, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But, but, but...... The narrative they are cramming down your throat is that global warming is due to human activity specifically burning fossil fuels. But we have been warming (in the current cycle) for 20,000 years.

I have issued this challenge numerous times to the acolytes of those who would profit from monies spent on "climate change": What make and model of SUV did Fred Flintstone drive???
Not exactly. Warming (and cooling) has been occurring for millions of years (as some on here constantly point out). However, the *rate* of warming has increased as the world has increased its use of fossil fuels. It is that increase in rate that the climatologists are worried about.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-07-2023, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

[QUOTE=golfing eagles;2242345]I generally watch /QUOTE]

Whoa there! If watching makes you disgusted, switch to the golf channel. No sense getting your guts in an uproar over stuff you just don't get. Stick with golf and medical science and you'll be fine.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Not exactly. Warming (and cooling) has been occurring for millions of years (as some on here constantly point out). However, the *rate* of warming has increased as the world has increased its use of fossil fuels. It is that increase in rate that the climatologists are worried about.
Yep. But, some just can't (or won't) grasp the notion.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:47 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=fdpaq0580;2242404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I generally watch /QUOTE]

Whoa there! If watching makes you disgusted, switch to the golf channel. No sense getting your guts in an uproar over stuff you just don't get. Stick with golf and medical science and you'll be fine.
Half right. Believe me, I GET it. But at least golf is what it is, climate change is what those who would profit WANT it to be. But they can't do it alone, so they need to recruit the masses to buy into their false narrative, to vote to combat it, and to spend trillions on it, while they laugh all the way to the bank.
Closed Thread

Tags
heat, year, temps, resilience, morning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.