Getting even more disgusted....

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Remember, the thermometer with a standardized scale is only about 125 -150 years old. So even the medieval warming period has no temp readings.

Linear extrapolation is way beyond acceptable mathematics standards
Old 08-07-2023, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Never before has there been such a large audience. The media’s, both social and mainstream, only goal is to sensationalize every event. Everything now is exaggerated and larger than life in order to grab market share. It’s not news anymore it is theater whoever makes it most exciting wins.

I do not find that even slightly true. There are "news" providers that do that quite a lot but they are entertainers and are seen by media critics as just that. They were called yellow journalists in the past. And they do mainly just push stuff that is outlandish and often just plain false.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-07-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I do not find that even slightly true. There are "news" providers that do that quite a lot but they are entertainers and are seen by media critics as just that. They were called yellow journalists in the past. And they do mainly just push stuff that is outlandish and often just plain false.
It’s very true. One of my neighbors knows a meteorologist who told him that they are told to make their reports attention grabbing to boost ratings and advertising sales.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

I think either extreme perception is disingenuous toward its opposite. "The sky is falling" is scare-mongering, and bad. "Everything is fine, carry on as usual" is denial, and bad.

I don't think we are /causing/ climate change. The climate changes, it has changed, it will change, whether we exist or not.

I do think we are /contributing to/ climate change. We are changing the geographical composition of our planet through building, drilling, creating cavities in the earth where they hadn't previously existed, taking that earth we've just dug out and placed it in piles somewhere else. Removed fossil fuels, and then burned them so they are no longer 'in' the planet but are now in the atmosphere, in changed form, instead. Polluted the land and seas, causing death to entire species of animals and by extension, upset the food chain. We've razed wilderness and planted produce, synthesized chemicals to keep insects from eating the food, which then poisons whatever animals eat those insects, and so on and so forth.

That is all things we, as a species, have done. We do it more and more, and we are slowly /contributing/ to the destruction of our planet. The planet will die eventually, as all planets eventually do. But we are helping to speed up its inevitable death. At this point, in my opinion, we can only hope that our species dies, or that we find a new planet to occupy, build on, and help destroy, before our planet dies.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:28 AM

Just got my thermostat monthly report up north for June, heat on 15 more hours and cooling on 6 hours less than June 2022. Fact 1. Latest recorded 90 deg day July 5th 2023 since 2012.
Fact 2. Only 90 deg day this year, normally 8 to 10 by now.
North American oscillation.

Last edited by Decadeofdave; 08-07-2023 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 08-07-2023, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Well, if we ARE causing the so-called Climate Change, then I wish we would do it faster. I'd like to see warmer winters up North so I could move back to a mountain area. I like the mountains and I like hot weather. So, keep it up.....if true. Personally, I am siding with those that say that man must be pretty arrogant to believe they can control the weather.
Brings back a memory of an incident in the early '70's when I was working up on the roof of a newly being constructed power plant. The reported temperature was 104 degrees and some of the other crews were knocking off due to the heat. We were continuing to work and even had to rest our power tools in the shade at times to cool them off. They were too hot to handle, even with gloves. I took my shirt off and an OSHA rep ordered me to put my shirt back on or he was going to fine me $50 and make me go home. That happened up North. Of course, many of us did not have A/C in our homes or vehicles in those days. Maybe some folks are just getting so spoiled that they cannot tolerate simple changes in their environment? One thing I know for a fact, the air is cleaner today than it was when I was a child. Cities were so polluted at one time that there were days when you could not see the top of buildings.

Last edited by Byte1; 08-07-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:52 PM
Gold member

I do think the climate is changing. A long time ago Kansas was covered in thick ice. About 20,000 years ago, a vast ice sheet called the Laurentide covered much of North America, blanketing Canada and parts of the U.S. with a wall of ice as much as two miles thick. Actually I think the earth's climate has been changing for as long as it has had an atmosphere. Are we causing these changes? No, utter hubris. Are people making money off of climate alarmism? Oh yes. Are they hoping to achieve power & other goals? Definite yes. As regards Golfing Eagles news, the mainstream media have become immensely unreliable. Of course we can always rely on them to gin up alarm, because that sells.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
absolutely they do it, even the sources you trust over others . . and there are proven reasons why the negative weather is exaggerated, 1 being NOAA lost a lawsuit for not emphasizing the danger of a storm and then some people losing lives, quite awhile ago. Making watching have a more enjoyable day, if the chance of negative weather, playing to human survival biases, emphasize the negative more, and then when it doesn't materialize, people have a better day!

There are so many subtle ways media influences readers/watchers with both included and excluded stories, as well as slants with presentation, words and phrases and data. . your subconscious picks up on most of it, the conscious not so much unless you are on the lookout for it. .
Old 08-07-2023, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I generally watch WFTV (ABC affiliate) in the morning for local news and weather. I have no idea about other stations, but for the last 2 weeks they have been pushing harder than ever their narrative of high temperatures. This morning they claimed that we have substantially higher temps than normal, and used the terms "unprecedented", and "dangerous". What is insidious is their use of "heat index" almost to the exclusion of actual temperatures so they can put triple number digits on their map. No comparison of these "heat indices" with past values are given.

OK, actual high temps in the Villages 7/27-8/3----94,96,95,96,96,98,96 avg 95.86
Oh, wait a minute, that was LAST year
This year, same dates---89,90,96,97,91,95,93 avg 93.00 or 2.86 deg COOLER
This is what the weatherman claimed is "substantially higher than usual". So I'm calling BS on that.
I can only assume that the news media has access to more complete temperature data than those numbers I just pulled off the accuweather website, so clearly they are LYING TO US. Why???? Is there an agenda at work here?

Meanwhile, pretty much all of Central Florida is under a heat advisory, which the weatherman stated was unusual. True, there was no heat advisory this time last year when it was 2.86 degrees WARMER. So why is that?

Well, heat advisories are issued by the National Weather Service, a division of NOAA which falls under the Department of Commerce, lead by a cabinet level secretary.
So, here is what they are doing:
"Today, U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina M. Raimondo announced funding opportunities from NOAA's $2.96 billion in Infrastructure Law funds to address the climate crisis and strengthen coastal resilience and infrastructure. Over the next five years, NOAA’s targeted investments in the areas of habitat restoration, coastal resilience, and climate data and services will advance ongoing federal efforts toward building climate resilience.

Looks like they're getting plenty of media support for their "efforts"

Draw your own conclusions, but IMHO it appears that reporting temps as heat indices, issuing heat advisories when it is actually cooler than last year, and Good Morning America's lead story every day on the weather serves to push the continuing false narrative of "global warming", for which a few figure to profit immensely.

Addendum: This morning's GMA story is about a glacier they hunted for that is melting at an "unprecedented" rate. Probably true, but there are other glaciers that are growing. And in another 40,000 years those glaciers will grow 2 miles of ice over much of the Northern Hemisphere.
I think the quote you provided answers the question more than adequately.

Somewhat the same thing happened--in reverse in Minnesota some time back. Up there, we had a something called a "Canadian high". A Canadian High is a wintertime phenomenon: they usually follow a period of snow and low pressure; sometimes blizzards, sometimes not. They're characterized by cold temperatures, bright blue skies, and varying degrees of wind. Canadian highs were welcome; it gave us good weather to plow out driveways, get the kids outside after a few days cooped up inside while the snowstorm lasted, etc.

Well, all of a sudden Canadian highs no longer existed. Instead, we now have "polar vortexes". Polar vortexes usually come with dire reports of falling temps, somber warnings to moms about how to keep junior bundled up if he absolutely HAD to be outside, things like that. Canadian highs were welcome. But according to the hoopla, polar vortexes were something to fear.

The weather service was questioned about it. They pretty much admitted to changing from Canadian high to polar vortex because "polar vortex" had more emotional punch.

Nothing like fear to control people.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Some advice for a hotter world.

How to Build Up Your Heat Tolerance for a Hotter World | Time
Old 08-07-2023, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
The weather service was questioned about it. They pretty much admitted to changing from Canadian high to polar vortex because "polar vortex" had more emotional punch.

Nothing like fear to control people.
Part of this is to get a better weather response from the low IQ weather idiots. .
Yes, they do exist, I have seen them in real life. . . I have been one in real life. . though accidentally. . .

when my former boss took his child to the emergency room, he told his child "not be downplay the injury because you want to appear tough. . make sure that when the doctor pushes or presses on the area and it hurts, don't hold back . . "

trying to get the attention of distracted people is harder and harder these days. .
especially on the soccer pitch when fouled. .

good luck to us remaining
Old 08-07-2023, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
I generally watch WFTV (ABC affiliate) in the morning for local news and weather. I have no idea about other stations, but for the last 2 weeks they have been pushing harder than ever their narrative of high temperatures. This morning they claimed that we have substantially higher temps than normal, and used the terms "unprecedented", and "dangerous". What is insidious is their use of "heat index" almost to the exclusion of actual temperatures so they can put triple number digits on their map. No comparison of these "heat indices" with past values are given.

OK, actual high temps in the Villages 7/27-8/3----94,96,95,96,96,98,96 avg 95.86
This is what the weatherman claimed is "substantially higher than usual". So I'm calling BS on that.
I can only assume that the news media has access to more complete temperature data than those numbers I just pulled off the accuweather website, so clearly they are LYING TO US. Why???? Is there an agenda at work here?

Meanwhile, pretty much all of Central Florida is under a heat advisory, which the weatherman stated was unusual. True, there was no heat advisory this time last year when it was 2.86 degrees WARMER. So why is that?

Well, heat advisories are issued by the National Weather Service, a division of NOAA which falls under the Department of Commerce, lead by a cabinet level secretary.
"Today, U.S. Commerce Secretary Gina M. Raimondo announced funding opportunities from NOAA's $2.96 billion in Infrastructure Law funds to address the climate crisis and strengthen coastal resilience and infrastructure. Over the next five years, NOAA’s targeted investments in the areas of habitat restoration, coastal resilience, and climate data and services will advance ongoing federal efforts toward building climate resilience.

Draw your own conclusions, but IMHO it appears that reporting temps as heat indices, issuing heat advisories when it is actually cooler than last year, and Good Morning America's lead story every day on the weather serves to push the continuing false narrative of "global warming", for which a few figure to profit immensely.

Addendum: This morning's GMA story is about a glacier they hunted for that is melting at an "unprecedented" rate. Probably true, but there are other glaciers that are growing. And in another 40,000 years those glaciers will grow 2 miles of ice over much of the Northern Hemisphere.
I’d really also like to know why all the stations are so focused on the “feels like” temperature. It seems more so this year than before. Guess it’s their new buzzword.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

At the end of the day my body likes 78 degrees F and 55 % RH - do what you want to justify where you live and the money you spent.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

This is the best thing I've ever heard on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSrjAXK5pGw

By the way, you wouldn't believe how much climate change is pushed on news programs in Europe. Almost every news program starts out with a report on how hot it is.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Lol!! Oh, sorry, you were serious.
Closed Thread

Tags
heat, year, temps, resilience, morning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.