Global Warming. Really?

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2023, 05:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Isn't it interesting that if one believes in the changing climate BUT does not believe that mankind is responsible, then they are labeled "deniers?" Even when one acknowledges the changing temperatures or rainfall, it is not enough. They must/MUST accept that mankind is the evil in the world causing the ultimate destruction of our ecosystem, or they are ignorant and blind. One solution I have heard on here recently was that we limit the size of human population. Sounds good to me......tell your grandkids NOT to have children. Not that this will eliminate Climate Change, but it sounds real good. To the Chicken Littles of the world, "The Sky is falling, the sky is falling!" Not denying, just don't care.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
Whomever coin the title global warming should be taken to the woodshed; it really is climate change.
I don't think at this point anyone can deny that the climate is changing. The question is, is this due to mankind or is this the earth going through a normal cycle.
I'm not a scientist and cannot answer that question. But what is obvious man is polluting air, land and water on the pursuit for profits.
"Man" cannot profit unless there are those that are buying his(HER) product. I doubt there are very many folks out there that wish to do away with planes, trains and automobiles, environmental control. artificial light and communication. I believe that most folks enjoy their food cooked.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:40 AM
Gold member

Man-made Climate Change = If you repeat a big lie often enough, the mindless masses will come to believe it.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:51 AM

Was just there in September. Wearing shorts the whole time. No jacket. Short sleeve shirt most days. Very fee glaciers to see.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
"Man" cannot profit unless there are those that are buying his(HER) product. I doubt there are very many folks out there that wish to do away with planes, trains and automobiles, environmental control. artificial light and communication. I believe that most folks enjoy their food cooked.
I'm not suggesting that people should deprive themselves of these comforts, but if you know there a chance to have all of this without polluting everything on this planet maybe we should spend the extra buck to find a solution.
EVs are more popular in Europe, than they are here. Not because Europeans are more interested in saving the planet but because countries like Germany pay almost $7 a gallon for gas. Like I said before, it all has to do with money.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,377 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
I'm not suggesting that people should deprive themselves of these comforts, but if you know there a chance to have all of this without polluting everything on this planet maybe we should spend the extra buck to find a solution.
EVs are more popular in Europe, than they are here. Not because Europeans are more interested in saving the planet but because countries like Germany pay almost $7 a gallon for gas. Like I said before, it all has to do with money.
................and in UK it costs $25-$30 each time you fully charge a Tesla.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

El Niño has kept FL pretty safe during hurricane season. But La Niña, his cousin, usually follows and brings more chances of hurricanes here. There is no doubt that each year has brought about hotter weather. If you lived in TV this summer you would certainly agree. But climate change is kind of like a fickle child throwing a tantrum. It was cooler in places you would expect it to be hot and hotter where you would expect it to be cold. I’ve been a resident of FL since Nov of 2017. That New Year’s Eve the temps dropped into the 20’s, a rude awakening to this transplant from NJ. Winter of 2022, into the beginning 2023, brought deep freezes that killed a lot of vegetation and costly plants here in FL. It is expected to be that way again this year. Climate change appears to be here to stay and we must learn to adapt. A huge part of the problem starts with the Rain Forest where deforestation has changed the climate and impacted our weather. Known as the lungs of the earth, it undoubtedly has been a huge contributor to the changes we are experiencing and very few people are talking about it.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:43 AM
Default Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Summer heat is Global Warming.
Winter snow is Climate Change.
I personally think winter weather has something to do with it!

You know the one thing about the weather, it will change. Give it a half an hour. LOL
Old 11-13-2023, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
................and in UK it costs $25-$30 each time you fully charge a Tesla.
*IF* that is true it still costs less than the equivalent amount of gasoline IN THE US! Since fuel is much more expensive in the UK, charging a Tesla is still cheaper than buying gas.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-13-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalic View Post
The three stages of climate change denial:

1) claim that there is no climate change; when this gets untenable go to:
2) claim there is climate change but it's not caused by human activity; when this gets untenable go to:
3) claim that there is climate change, caused by human activity, but we can do nothing about it.

It is no coincidence that each of these "beliefs" let's the believer get off without having to do anything.

Other than continually referring to it as "global warming" so they can point to a bit of snow and go back to Stage 1.

The vast majority of scientists now accept that the average temperature of the Earth is rising.

Yes, the climate has always been in a state of change, but it is the RATE of the current change that is unprecedented, and clearly linked to the amount of greenhouse gases that humans have been pumping into the atmosphere since the start of industrialization. The current rate of change is so fast that nature can't keep up.

But nothing anyone says will convince the climate change deniers that they are wrong, as being wrong means they don't have to do anything different and can continue to live profligate, wasteful lives.
So my personal belief is that if the climate is changing in an adverse fashion to human life (it's always changing, BTW) that the way to address it is via engineering and adaptation. Thinking we can change the climate of an entire planet with EV, solar panels, and wind turbines is the height of hubris, IMO. Of course, we should look for ways to reduce pollution that meet a cost/benefit analysis. But CO2 is not a pollutant, it is a necessary component of the air we breath that supports plant life.

But I wanted to address your last point (I put it in bold). You are accusing people that don't buy into the "human caused/human fixable" climate change theory that they are "profligate and wasteful". I would like a better definition of that, and examples of how you live your life differently from those that you accuse of being "profligate and wasteful". Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:32 AM

Global warming is temperature averages over the past several hundred years along with measurements from ice cores. It’s an average. Overall our planet is increasing. Being an average means there will be ebb and flows of seasonal temps higher and lower during seasons, but when you factor all the temps globally over time the data is unmistakable. The average is increasing. You can’t judge global warming by using one specific geographical location during one season. That’s not an average over hundreds of years.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Default Global warming is climate change

Anyone who doesn’t believe climate change is not real isn’t watching what is happening. It’s evident here in Florida with hotter summers and stronger storms. Not just about effects of winter storms. It’s year round
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
It's early in the season, but Anchorage Alaska has already seen record breaking amounts of snowfall. Some areas, surrounding the city, accumulated two feet within two days. A snow emergency has been declared. Is El Niño the cause? Do you think the scientists who support the theory of global warming are staring at their monitors in disbelief? Strange thing, I did not see this reported on the news as often as this summer's record breaking heat. Any thoughts on why?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:46 AM

Global warming - Climate change. It's not saying that Alaska won't get snow again, It's saying the world's climates are changing, to our detriment, because of global warming in the northern and southern poles, adding an increase in water levels throughout the world. Do some legitimate research before you pass on nonsense! Pathetic.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:56 AM
Default Back in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
It's early in the season, but Anchorage Alaska has already seen record breaking amounts of snowfall. Some areas, surrounding the city, accumulated two feet within two days. A snow emergency has been declared. Is El Niño the cause? Do you think the scientists who support the theory of global warming are staring at their monitors in disbelief? Strange thing, I did not see this reported on the news as often as this summer's record breaking heat. Any thoughts on why?

"Back in my day, we called an event like this WEATHER." ( Quote stated in the best Old Man voice I could come up with)
Old 11-13-2023, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,377 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
*IF* that is true it still costs less than the equivalent amount of gasoline IN THE US! Since fuel is much more expensive in the UK, charging a Tesla is still cheaper than buying gas.
My bad. That actually was older cost per kWh..
I hadn't noticed our current Government cap on electricity prices has been lowered.

If that is at the current Ofgem cap of £0.27 per kWh the Tesla will cost £20.25 to charge from 0 to 100%.30 Oct 2023 (about $24.70 at today's Ex.rate)

So cheaper than I stated. Our gas is a little cheaper as well, despite all the goings on in Middle East.
Closed Thread

Tags
global, breaking, record, warming, theory

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.