Have you ever considered Whole Home Surge Protection?

Old 03-20-2024, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Xxxxxxxxx
Old 03-20-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Replying to a post is one thing.

Advertisers starting a post - shouldn't be here.
The sponsors are the reason that TOTV is free.
No sponsors or advertisers, would you pay to upkeep the site?
Many/most wouldn't!
Old 03-20-2024, 08:29 AM
Thumbs up Surge Mitigator - offered by SECO - $6.95/month

Offered by our electric cooperative, a non-profit.

Surge Mitigator offers whole house protection. Backed by SECO. Has a $5000 per major appliance insurance policy included.
I'm sure SECO would help you with your claim.

In-box systems like pike's have manufacturers coverage - a limited warranty with a time limit. The brand I used before coming to The Villages was for ten years. I doubt you could buy one with a longer warranty.

No small appliance is covered by either system. You need to have surge protectors where ever you plug-in small electronics (computers, router, TVs, smart stuff). The whole house surge protectors are for the big strikes - nearby.

Yes, neither system will handle a big strike. That should be covered by your homeowner's insurance.

By the way; Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Yes world. Surge protectors are a very good idea.

A free advertisement provided by a satisfied SECO customer.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Our central FL location doesn't need them enough to be worth it
Our central Florida location isn't within the state with the most lightning strikes in the country?

"Florida is the lightning capital of the U.S. because:

Florida has a distinct sea breeze during the summer. From late-spring through late-summer, the sea breeze creates numerous thunderstorms per day.

It has a tropical climate. Due to the moisture and heat that Florida experiences, the atmosphere is generally less stable, making thunderstorms more common there than in the rest of the U.S." -Weatherbug November 3, 2020
Old 03-20-2024, 10:10 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
This week two guys from Pike’s Electric installed three exhaust fans and two ceiling boxes and two switches in four hours. I provided the fans and switches. The labor for four hours of work was $1300 total. I was very pleased with their work and the price. The only down side is that they are popular because they are good and fair. From asking for an estimate to getting an estimate to getting the work done took at least six weeks. But it was worth it.
Hi Mandoman! Appreciate your kind words We are working hard to narrow down time of installations for projects of that caliber. We are looking at 4-6 weeks still for major installations. Free estimate appointments are available within 2 weeks. For those wondering: The surge protector installation appointment are available within 1 week from call in. We appreciate your trust and business

(352)748-6251
Old 03-20-2024, 10:12 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:

Surge Mitigator offers whole house protection. Backed by SECO. Has a $5000 per major appliance insurance policy included.

In-box systems like pike's have manufacturers coverage - a limited warranty with a time limit. The brand I used before coming to The Villages was for ten years. I doubt you could buy one with a longer warranty.

No small appliance is covered by either system. You need to have surge protectors where ever you plug-in small electronics (computers, router, TVs, smart stuff). The whole house surge protectors are for the big strikes - nearby.

Yes, neither system will handle a big strike. That should be covered by your homeowner's insurance.

By the way; Florida is the lightning capital of the world. Yes world. Surge protectors are a very good idea.

Hi Gorilla Rick - I wanted to share the CHSPT2ULTRA warranty guide, showing up to $75,000 warranty coverage for damages and warranty covered on the "life of the device" itself. Appreciate your info on the SECO Mitigator as well, as most clients are interested to have that along with our Eaton Ultra.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Surge protection warranty.pdf (170.8 KB, 42 views)

(352)748-6251
Old 03-21-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:

The SECO surge mitigator is a different animal than the surge protector Pike’s is offering. They’re installed in two different locations. The SECO one outside on the meter, and the one done by an electrical company like Pike’s is installed in the electrical panel in the garage. They serve two different purposes, and both are needed here in FL.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
The SECO surge mitigator is a different animal than the surge protector Pike’s is offering. They’re installed in two different locations. The SECO one outside on the meter, and the one done by an electrical company like Pike’s is installed in the electrical panel in the garage. They serve two different purposes, and both are needed here in FL.

You are correct, the SECO surge mitigator takes care of roughly 20% of the surges, the electrical panel one -the remaining 80%.

Source: Jrref Surge protector

If I had to go with one first in a phased approach, I would choose the 80% & then I would choose the 20% second.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Whole house surge protectors are a must to have. You have options on how to install them; 1 method is in the panel like advertised here, the other is before the panel at the meter, which is the method I have used in my last 5 houses. You get these through the utlity company for a small fee billed to your electric bill. It also comes with an insurance package to reimburse for damage, but the more important reasons I use at the meter surge protectors is it can save your wiring inside your panel and since you are leasing the unit from the electric company, they will come out and check on it or replace it for free if damaged (15 year warranty) and then replace it before the 15 year warranty runs out to start a new warranty. Surge protectors installed in the panel are the responsibility of the home owner after the initial install or maybe after a short warranty period. Pikes electric can elaborate on house calls or repair costs.

Many years ago we had a meter surge protector from our electric company and a crew dropped a tree over a set of high power transmission lines that caused many of our neighbors electrical boxes to start smoking and some had their microwaves, furnaces, and appliances fail because of this surge. We had no issue except the utility came out and replaced the surge protector at the meter. Surges can be caused by many different occurrences not just by lightning.
Thank you for sharing your expertise. Pike is telling us to get one at the electrical box, we have one at the meter. Does it make sense to get a second one at the electrical box?
Old 03-21-2024, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
You are correct, the SECO surge mitigator takes care of roughly 20% of the surges, the electrical panel one -the remaining 80%.

Source: Jrref Surge protector

If I had to go with one first in a phased approach, I would choose the 80% & then I would choose the 20% second.
What is the 20/80% and where does that comparison come from?
Old 03-21-2024, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Thank you for sharing your expertise. Pike is telling us to get one at the electrical box, we have one at the meter. Does it make sense to get a second one at the electrical box?
As others have stated, layers of protection is best Both have their advantages and they work together. Similar to having more air bags in your car.

The protector Pike installs appears to have a much better warranty coverage.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:12 AM
Sage

Casandra, has surge supression been adopted into the local electrical codes for new construction?
Old 03-21-2024, 10:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
What is the 20/80% and where does that comparison come from?
Source is in my link. Didn't it work?
Old 03-21-2024, 10:15 AM
Sage

The warranty is typically going to be secondary to your home owner's policy and will pay up to the home owner's policy deductible. However, it is better than the SECO warranty on their "ring at the electric meter" protector as that warranty has so many exclusions so as to essentially cover nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
As others have stated, layers of protection is best Both have their advantages and they work together. Similar to having more air bags in your car.

The protector Pike installs appears to have a much better warranty coverage.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:48 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hello all! Hope everyone is staying dry today. We have received numerous calls and questions from this posting and we are happy to be of assistance to provide a great surge protection option for your home's valuables.
I'd like to mention a few answers to questions that have come up, in case you may have been wondering:
1. You CAN have both our device and the power company's surge device. Their unit is installed on the meter whereas this device is installed where your main breaker is (typically garage panel).
2. What is the warranty? Lifetime of the device. When it takes a hit, it gets replaced by the manufacturer!
3. Do you have to disconnect power to install it? No, it takes about an hour and your home's electrical is not disturbed during installation
Have a great day everyone! - Casandra

(352)748-6251

Tags
homes, surge, price, home, protection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.