Hottest July Ever -- Or Was It

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2021, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Hottest July Ever -- Or Was It

Find out why NOAA said that, and then changed their mind. And find out why NOAA and NASA can't agree on which year was the hottest. This and much more will be revealed at this month's Villages Weather Club meeting -- Thursday (Oct 21) at 1:30 PM at the Bridgeport Rec Center.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
Find out why NOAA said that, and then changed their mind. And find out why NOAA and NASA can't agree on which year was the hottest. This and much more will be revealed at this month's Villages Weather Club meeting -- Thursday (Oct 21) at 1:30 PM at the Bridgeport Rec Center.
I was out walking here one late July day. Heat index something like 115 degrees. I was shirtless (working on the tan). Guy in a golf cart pulls up, offers me a bottle of water and told me "you really need to protect yourself on a day like this". My reply, "I have 73 years worth of living in Minnesota to make up for. This is heaven!".
Old 10-18-2021, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I was out walking here one late July day. Heat index something like 115 degrees. I was shirtless (working on the tan). Guy in a golf cart pulls up, offers me a bottle of water and told me "you really need to protect yourself on a day like this". My reply, "I have 73 years worth of living in Minnesota to make up for. This is heaven!".
But, he was right. Sun down here at different angle and more penetrating. IMO for me at 70 tan at bottom of bucket list.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
But, he was right. Sun down here at different angle and more penetrating. IMO for me at 70 tan at bottom of bucket list.
I'm fair skinned but since I've been living here in Florida, a couple hours in the sun and I don't turn into a lobster. I do that at the Jersey shore and it's over Johnny. The angle definitely makes a difference. I've been able to actually get a healthy skin color since living here but not what anyone would consider a tan.

My worst sunburn ever was a warm spring day at Steamboat. We were skiing in blue jeans and a tee shirt. It was only about 2.5 hours in the afternoon, skiing one of the lifts that goes to the top and about half way down. That evening I burned and blistered so much that the rest of the week, I wore a tee-shirt on my head, face poked out the neck hole, sleeves tied together. Not any exposed skin. The sun angle and less atmosphere to space(~10,000 ASL) was brutal to me. Reflective snow probably didn't help either.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

“ Figures don't lie, but liars figure." Through this early quote, Mark Twain ruminates about deceptions run rampant; numbers used by phony wizards as illusions of truth, while feeding people's hunger for answers prescribing the calming paregoric of snaky prevarications.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I'm fair skinned but since I've been living here in Florida, a couple hours in the sun and I don't turn into a lobster. I do that at the Jersey shore and it's over Johnny. The angle definitely makes a difference. I've been able to actually get a healthy skin color since living here but not what anyone would consider a tan.

My worst sunburn ever was a warm spring day at Steamboat. We were skiing in blue jeans and a tee shirt. It was only about 2.5 hours in the afternoon, skiing one of the lifts that goes to the top and about half way down. That evening I burned and blistered so much that the rest of the week, I wore a tee-shirt on my head, face poked out the neck hole, sleeves tied together. Not any exposed skin. The sun angle and less atmosphere to space(~10,000 ASL) was brutal to me. Reflective snow probably didn't help either.
Steamboat is a great place, or at least was back in the mid-70's. I worked there building condo's one summer with some guys who were total ski bums (worked all summer, skied all winter) and fearless nutcases. I was roped in to driving the truck behind them one full-moon night, giving them some extra light - while they skateboarded down Rabbit Ears!! With one foot on the brake and one on the gas, after being told to stay as close as possible to them (knowing if one fell, I would run over him). I did it once only and told them that they were crazy and never again! LOL
Old 10-19-2021, 09:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Just another summer in Florida. Nothing scary here....
Old 10-19-2021, 09:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Here in Southern New England weather service stopped issuing FREEZE and FROST WARNINGS harvesting is over leaves are still green and not expecting substantial color til November.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

That's called "Indian summer" which frequently occurs in the Northeast (and other parts of the world). It's a wonderful time of the year which I've experienced numerous times in Pennsylvania.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Here in Southern New England weather service stopped issuing FREEZE and FROST WARNINGS harvesting is over leaves are still green and not expecting substantial color til November.
Autumn/fall is also late this year in UK.
Happens every so often.
Had a recent long dry spell, but it has broken now, and getting wetter.
Leaves will soon fall, and as usual, stop the trains when they pile up on the lines!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

I never heard about the wet leaves, but it makes sense. It reminds me of stories I heard years ago where kids would put apples on the uphill rail line and watch the locomotive engine wheels spin.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

I agree it's another normal and wonderful year here in Florida. However, the scary part is that even though 10 of Florida's 22 historical climatological temperature reporting stations have been shut down (for a variety of reasons), NOAA continues to report monthly temperature data for each closed station. The most remarkable example is that of the Belle Glade station (near Lake Okeechobee) which stopped reporting temperatures in 2005, and yet NOAA continues to create temperature data for Belle Glade every month since 2005.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

This was our first full summer in TV as we have been coming and going. So I don’t know what temperatures to compare it to. Hubby painted the garage in July and installed metal storage cabinets in August in an uncooled garage. He did come in the house and took showers every 3 hours or so, and we did a lot of laundry but he never complained.

At the same time, I worked on the garden mid day quite often. My neighbor said, only in the heat of the day? As a newbie to Florida summers, what did I know? If that’s as bad as it gets we love it!
Closed Thread

Tags
noaa, hottest, find, bridgeport, oct

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.