Hottest September Ever Recorded by a LOT Don't listen to the deniers / liars

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No idea, but logically if the Eurasian and African plates were moving closer to each other, the width of the Mediterranean would narrow and raise the water level. Of course, plates move quite slowly (except in earthquakes, but that is a release of tension and not continental drift), and can be measure in millions of years, so 2,000 years, appears, at least empirically, to be too short a time frame.
You do realize that the Mediterranean Sea is connected to the Atlantic Ocean via the Straits of Gibraltar. Also, Mount Blanc in the Alps is 15,776 feet above sea level. Given that the Alps were also created by plate tectonics. This would mean that Mont Blanc would take about 1.5 million years o ties to that height if we use the apparent shift in land mass in your picture (20 ft in 2000 years). A change of 0.01 ft per year would be barely perceptible.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 10-05-2023, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
You do realize that the Mediterranean Sea is connected to the Atlantic Ocean via the Straits of Gibraltar. Also, Mount Blanc in the Alps is 15,776 feet above sea level. Given that the Alps were also created by plate tectonics. This would mean that Mont Blanc would take about 1.5 million years o ties to that height if we use the apparent shift in land mass in your picture (20 ft in 2000 years). A change of 0.01 ft per year would be barely perceptible.
A 20 foot difference in ocean level is not created by land mass shifts, we are talking about global temperatures and the amount of water tied up in polar ice caps. I can't imagine continental drift plays a major role.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:51 PM
Veteran member

Of the 50 or so climate alarmist predictions I've heard over my life, the number that have come to fruition is zero. I bought this house in Massachusetts on a small mountain expecting to sell it as waterfront property, and darnit if you wouldn't know it's still on a mountain.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:51 PM
Veteran member

So if I turn up my thermostat and don't drive that's going to make an effect. Are you CRAZY. Look at the sheer number of people in India, China, Africa etc and they want to live like us so they are JUST STARTING to buy cars, get electricity, etc and do you think they are going to give that up....NOT. Plus, how do you know CO2 level increases are not from the huge amount of undersea volcanos? The climate may be changing but it always has and always will. Humans have always had to adapt to live besides the main problem with our planet right now is OVERPOPULATION. If we had half the people, everything would be fine.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
A 20 foot difference in ocean level is not created by land mass shifts, we are talking about global temperatures and the amount of water tied up in polar ice caps. I can't imagine continental drift plays a major role.
I’ll post the link later to the study of Augusto’s Capri home that is now *under* 4.2m of water. It includes the statement that the Med has risen since Roman times. Or maybe the sea levels are different on opposite sides of the island.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-05-2023, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I’ll post the link later to the study of Augusto’s Capri home that is now *under* 4.2m of water. It includes the statement that the Med has risen since Roman times. Or maybe the sea levels are different on opposite sides of the island.
Or maybe pictures don't lie? Or maybe the local "expert" lacked expertise? Or maybe it doesn't matter since in 50,000 years we'll all be underwater anyway----note 50 THOUSAND years NOT 20, or 50 or 100
Old 10-05-2023, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Or maybe pictures don't lie? Or maybe the local "expert" lacked expertise? Or maybe it doesn't matter since in 50,000 years we'll all be underwater anyway----note 50 THOUSAND years NOT 20, or 50 or 100
Fair enough.

Where I am it hasn’t rained in the last three days but still there is water in the streets near drainage grates. There is also a salt water flood warning for the rest of the day. Sea rise is affecting cities today, tens of thousands of years before the period some seem to be focused on.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-05-2023, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Fair enough.

Where I am it hasn’t rained in the last three days but still there is water in the streets near drainage grates. There is also a salt water flood warning for the rest of the day. Sea rise is affecting cities today, tens of thousands of years before the period some seem to be focused on.
Also fair enough. But there is a huge difference between a puddle in a city street and being under 400 feet of water. But then again, no one knows for certain what the "expected" sea rise will be. I suspect it is different in each of the dozen or more freeze/thaw cycles we've had over the last 4.5 million years.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
This graph uses as a zero point the temperature average over a 30 year period from 1991 to 2020. Of course this was a period when temps were already moving upward as you can see looking at how no years prior to 2002 were warmer than that average. So when a person who regularly posts that we are in a cooling trend selectively uses a single hot year as a baseline, know you are being manipulated and lied to.
So how was your vacation?
Old 10-05-2023, 05:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Even if the whole climate issue is real I don't believe that the ridiculous measures that they are trying to mandate and going to make much difference. Why electric cars, which have their own issues, and appliances? Why not corporate jets and yachts and excessive mcmansions? Why do we take the hit while the super rich go unscathed? Published estimates of top billionaires' annual emissions in 2021 and found that a superyacht — with permanent crew, helicopter pad, submarines and pools — emits about 7,020 tons of carbon dioxide a year, over 1,500 times higher than a typical family car.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Even if the whole climate issue is real I don't believe that the ridiculous measures that they are trying to mandate and going to make much difference. Why electric cars, which have their own issues, and appliances? Why not corporate jets and yachts and excessive mcmansions? Why do we take the hit while the super rich go unscathed? Published estimates of top billionaires' annual emissions in 2021 and found that a superyacht — with permanent crew, helicopter pad, submarines and pools — emits about 7,020 tons of carbon dioxide a year, over 1,500 times higher than a typical family car.
Follow the money. None of the climate alarmists have any actual solutions. The policies they propose line their pockets, steal from ours and don’t reduce pollution at all. No studies need to be read to see this plainly obvious fact.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:58 PM

When the climate alarmists start hyperventilating, I just roll my eyes and walk away. There is nothing significant we can do, especially as well less than half the population of the world, to change the climate OF AN ENTIRE PLANET.

Should we work to reduce pollution? Absolutely, and the US, Western Europe, and Japan have led the way in this area since the 1970's. But CO2 is not pollution, it is a necessary component of life on earth.

Is the average temperature increasing? Perhaps. But all we can do is adapt to it. EV, solar, and wind will make little to no difference, anymore than washing my car makes it rain. And nuclear, which is zero emissions, also leads to hyperventilation of the same people. Who by the way, when you look at how they live their personal lives, gives no indication that they believe in what they say.

So I'm going to live my life as I see fit, and ignore the Chicken Littles. Gotta go watch the Bears lose now.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Fair enough.

Kent Island is sinking...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-05-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
No idea, but logically if the Eurasian and African plates were moving closer to each other, the width of the Mediterranean would narrow and raise the water level. Of course, plates move quite slowly (except in earthquakes, but that is a release of tension and not continental drift), and can be measure in millions of years, so 2,000 years, appears, at least empirically, to be too short a time frame.
Since the Mediterranean Sea isn't a closed body of water, why would the level rise if it got narrower?
Old 10-05-2023, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Kent Island is sinking...
Could be, wasn't aware. Affected by high levels more often but is not where I currently am. Guess that makes the effects even more widespread.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 10-05-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
period, year, average, person, hottest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.