How did your neighborhood fair?

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2023, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Heard from my grandson up near Pensacola. The only difference for him was that it was a lot cooler this morning than yesterday morning.
Only got 0.5" of rain in Calumet Grove. Was hoping for more.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

I'm glad I'm not one of those kinds of people who wait til the day before a hurricane to stock up on water, batteries, etc. I buy batteries randomly when there's a sale, after checking to see if any I already have are near their expiration date. I buy water every month - in jugs and 16.9-oz bottle cases. I figure since the tap water isn't fluoridated anyway, there's no need for me to endure the nasty taste and texture of Florida tap water (yes, we have a filter. Yes, it still tastes like old egg-swamp). So we keep spring water in the house year-round.

As for how we fared - I counted THREE leaves stripped off my lemon tree. I'm truly heartbroken. I let them fly free, because this is the Freedom state and they deserved to die with dignity.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm glad I'm not one of those kinds of people who wait til the day before a hurricane to stock up on water, batteries, etc. I buy batteries randomly when there's a sale, after checking to see if any I already have are near their expiration date. I buy water every month - in jugs and 16.9-oz bottle cases. I figure since the tap water isn't fluoridated anyway, there's no need for me to endure the nasty taste and texture of Florida tap water (yes, we have a filter. Yes, it still tastes like old egg-swamp). So we keep spring water in the house year-round.

As for how we fared - I counted THREE leaves stripped off my lemon tree. I'm truly heartbroken. I let them fly free, because this is the Freedom state and they deserved to die with dignity.
Was that spring water from Houston Texas?
Old 08-30-2023, 11:21 AM

Slept like a baby.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Friends have a place in Cedar Key.. They arrived last night, happy TV was spared, so they have a dry place to stay.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You’re so witty!
Santiago looks fine. No issues here. Arby’s and McDonald’s weren’t open at noon. KFC was open, as was Hobby Lobby.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:19 PM

Light rain and light wind intermittently since last night. Power and internet was still on when I woke up. Streets were obviously wet but not flooded. Enjoyed a morning walk at 10:30 am. Got sprinkled a bit then it stopped. Ponds could use at least a foot or 2 more. It hit our village harder last year since it was closer.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Richmond we didn’t have any power or wifi loss

Ugly tree in the prairie still standing. Swaying alot, and still ugly

Water gage says 2” but because of the gusts it’s not coming strait down.

Outside I can hear faint hum from turnpike so wind gusts can’t be that bad.

I know we have few hours left but so far so good
Not much near Laurel Manor area, a few, VERY few, palm fronds around. Rain gauge shows much less than the predicted 2-3 inches, maybe half and in. at most. But, had reservations at that charming inn with the legendary chef and dinning room on Cedar Key for the seafood festival... I'm thinking one MORE year with no festival, first covid and now "this"... all under water. Very sad sight.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:54 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Friends have a place in Cedar Key.. They arrived last night, happy TV was spared, so they have a dry place to stay.
Did they fly or drive down ? Just wondered, looks like last night I-75 was completely flooded and closed. Were they caught up in that ? HAD reservations for seafood festival on the island in Oct. Was so looking forward to it after the covid hiatus ! Your friend surely have a challenge ahead getting their place livable again. Prayers for them.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,516 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Was that spring water from Houston Texas?
Poland Spring. It's collected and bottled from several natural springs in Maine. I used to be able to get it at Staples by the case, but they only sell the brand's sparkling water, which I don't drink at all. So I get it from BJ's instead. And then for the jugs, I get it by the gallon at Walmart. Pretty sure it comes from the springs in Zephyrhills. It's not as crisp as Poland Spring but it's still better than Florida Tapwater.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Did they fly or drive down ? Just wondered, looks like last night I-75 was completely flooded and closed. Were they caught up in that ? HAD reservations for seafood festival on the island in Oct. Was so looking forward to it after the covid hiatus ! Your friend surely have a challenge ahead getting their place livable again. Prayers for them.
Just curious, how does one fly from Cedar Key to The Villages?
Never mind, I see thru NYC or Charlotte.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just curious, how does one fly from Cedar Key to The Villages?
Never mind, I see thru NYC or Charlotte.
You are assuming a commercial flight.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Drove to Gainesville Tuesday, because school started it was a zoo. But said roads were steady. We were going to the festival also, not going to happen this year. 4 couples offered so came the back way TV
Old 08-31-2023, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

we have been very lucky with the last 3 hurricanes here in the villages.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:03 AM

Country Club Hills. Mild storm, not very much rain or wind. We've seen worse thunderstorms.
Closed Thread

Tags
strait, gusts, it’s, coming, hours

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.