How much rain did you get?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2023, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

7” across from the postal station in Bradford.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnie View Post
Been here since 2004. Slept like a baby the other night and didn't know it rained hard till my wife told me in the morning. No rain gauge to measure rainfall, because with the great flood control systems here in The Villages I'm not worried. I can't believe so many people have rain gauges.
Gives people something to do.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Default How much rain?

We got 4.4 inches in Rio Ranchero
Old 12-18-2023, 06:02 PM

4.7" in Chatham. For more accurate rainfall amounts near you try the App called Wunderground and search for a location near you. This data is from a neighbor near you with better equipment than most of us have along with weekly and monthly history.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:16 PM

Our rain cup overflowed ..... hit on the Weather Underground station 3 blocks from us. It read 4.54" of rain.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Ask yourself, "what is the reason for this wetter than normal weather". I know the answer, but most people will be reluctant to believe it. 2023 was the warmest year on temperature-recorded history. Warmer air holds MORE MOISTURE. This is going to happen for the next 8 years, at least. The oceans will rise because a HUGE glacier broke off of Antarctica (look it up, please). Florida will be one of the most affected states, but no one wants to fix the problem because ONLY scientists (not ordinary citizens) believe that a problem exists. Anti-science is almost a new religion in the US.
We are all going to die!! Don't worry! Noah is building an Ark...using science as a guide.
Seriously...What do you know about science? Can you even do basic math?
You know water expands when it freezes, right? Ocean levels decrease as icebergs thaw, right?
If all the ice melts, the oceans will rise maybe 6 inches.

Go to website Weather Underground and view all the weather stations in the area. Most of them are at 4.5 inches.

Last edited by MorTech; 12-19-2023 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:49 AM
Sage

There is a lot of nonsense here. Where did you get this number of "8 years"? The oceans have been rising because we are in an interglacial period. They will probably continue to rise for the next few centuries. Anthropogenic warming, about 1C for the global average surface temperature anomaly, has accelerated the rise in the last century and there is essentially nothing the US can do about this except for remediation in our coastal regions. The US impact on global carbon emissions is relatively minor at about 11%. You claim you know "the answer" so why don't you share it with us, particularly how you personally are solving what is a global problem? If your answer is to drive an electric golf cart then you clearly have never looked at the magnitude of global carbon emission and how they will continue for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Ask yourself, "what is the reason for this wetter than normal weather". I know the answer, but most people will be reluctant to believe it. 2023 was the warmest year on temperature-recorded history. Warmer air holds MORE MOISTURE. This is going to happen for the next 8 years, at least. The oceans will rise because a HUGE glacier broke off of Antarctica (look it up, please). Florida will be one of the most affected states, but no one wants to fix the problem because ONLY scientists (not ordinary citizens) believe that a problem exists. Anti-science is almost a new religion in the US.

Last edited by biker1; 12-19-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:50 AM
Sage

The concern is glaciers, which are land based. Ocean levels have been rising for some time (about 12,000 years) as land based ice melts and water expands as the oceans warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
We are all going to die!! Don't worry! Noah is building an Ark...using science as a guide.
Seriously...What do you know about science? Can you even do basic math?
You know water expands when it freezes, right? Ocean levels decrease as icebergs thaw, right?
If all the ice melts, the oceans will rise maybe 6 inches.

Go to website Weather Underground and view all the weather stations in the area. Most of them are at 4.5 inches.

Last edited by biker1; 12-19-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The concern is glaciers, which are land based. Ocean levels have been rising for some time (about 12,000 years) as land based ice melts and water expands as the oceans warm.
What broke off in Antartica wasn't a glacier... It's a huge ice berg...

From the Google Machine: "Satellite imagery provided by the British Antarctic Survey shows the iceberg wending its way through the Weddell Sea in the Southern Ocean throughout 2022 and 2023, pushed by currents and winds across thousands of kilometres. The mass of ice reached just beyond the Antarctic Peninsula in late November.Nov 27, 2023"

-Tom Petty
Old 12-19-2023, 08:47 AM
Sage

I never said what broke off was a glacier. Technically, it was actually an ice shelf that broke off. When it breaks off it is then called an iceberg. However, I was commenting on the fact that the concern with sea level rises is land based ice (glaciers) and the expansion of water volume with increasing temperature. Your commenting on the wrong post. See post #45 for what you should have commented on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
What broke off in Antartica wasn't a glacier... It's a huge ice berg...

From the Google Machine: "Satellite imagery provided by the British Antarctic Survey shows the iceberg wending its way through the Weddell Sea in the Southern Ocean throughout 2022 and 2023, pushed by currents and winds across thousands of kilometres. The mass of ice reached just beyond the Antarctic Peninsula in late November.Nov 27, 2023"

Last edited by biker1; 12-19-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I never said what broke off was a glacier. Technically, it was actually an ice shelf that broke off. When it breaks off it is then called an iceberg. However, I was commenting on the fact that the concern with sea level rises is land based ice (glaciers) and the expansion of water volume with increasing temperature. Your commenting on the wrong post. See post #45 for what you should have commented on.
I was responding to our resident "Chicken Little", "Jimmy One Note", who posts the same foolishness time after time after time...

HE was the lone who mentioned glaciers in Antartica...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
rain, inches, live, weather, sawgrass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.