Hurricane Nicole never hit Florida

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
This will be the opening discussion at Thursday's (Nov 17) Weather Club meeting at 1:30 PM at Laurel Manor. There is no data showing hurricane force winds came with Nicole -- only tropical storm force winds. This is why The Weather Channel stopped reporting winds as Nicole hit the coast.
I look forward to hearing from OP the names of people located precisely at the point of peak winds taking wind measurements with scientifically calibrated instruments to measure wind speeds. Almost certainly, there were none. Remote sensors or sensors not at the precise location cannot resolve whether the peak winds at landfall were 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 … mph. Consequently, there is a margin of error around published speed reports for peak winds at landfall for Nicole.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Much ado about nothing.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
The current slight longer-term warming trend is because we are still thawing out from the Little Ice Age. But why is there a slight 7-year cooling trend (going on 8) now?
The better (and more important with respect to killer hurricanes) question to ask .........is WHY is the Gulf of Mexico water showing a pattern of record temperatures in recent years. And WHY are world temperatures predicted to increase for the next 30 years? And why is the CO2 increasing in the upper atmosphere AND in the world's oceans?

Personally, I wonder why MORE members of the Villages Weather Club are NOT commenting and giving THEIR opinions on THIS forum? There must be OTHER points of view.

Just to throw out suggestions.......IMO a weather club might work with an agriculture club to grow trees from seeds and have as a club activity, the planting of small trees around the local area. This would be a good response to the excess CO2 in the atmosphere. They could advocate for electric-powered cars, boats, motorcycles, bicycles, golf carts, and lawnmowers here locally. They could advocate for locally-grown farm produce instead of produce TRUCKED in from long distances..........thus adding to the excess CO2. The US is the 2nd LARGEST polluting country on the planet so we are in a unique position to DO something about pollution (excess CO2). Pollution is a 1st world PROBLEM, so a Weather Club could be part of the SOLUTION. The large polluting countries are MAKING the WEATHER of the FUTURE.

A weather club could advocate against WARS which waste energy and cause excess pollution (CO2) production. A Weather Club could advocate FOR the prevention of old-growth forest destruction in the US and the Amazon Rain Forest. Weather is NOT just a LOCAL phenomenon, it is part of a large CHAIN of GLOBAL considerations
Old 11-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Nothing to see here said the man behind the curtain, if you put a frog in a pot of boiling water it will instantly leap out. But if you put it in a pot filled with pleasantly tepid water and gradually heat it, the frog will remain in the water until it boils to death.
Similar to global climate change
Great analogy !
Old 11-17-2022, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
I look forward to hearing from OP the names of people located precisely at the point of peak winds taking wind measurements with scientifically calibrated instruments to measure wind speeds. Almost certainly, there were none. Remote sensors or sensors not at the precise location cannot resolve whether the peak winds at landfall were 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 … mph. Consequently, there is a margin of error around published speed reports for peak winds at landfall for Nicole.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Much ado about nothing.
Thank you

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2022, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
That sounds political to me. More conspiracy theories. Thanks, but no thanks. If I want to listen to conspiracy theories I'll watch Fox News.
Yes, I agree. And I would like to hear from other members of the Weather Club to find out as a matter of transparency what the other members think. If the Weather Club is trying to recruit new members from The Village Forum, it would be nice to hear the philosophies of multiple members.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
How is weather data political? Science is not political -- unless you are talking about political science -- but that's not science either. The Weather Club examines claims using government generated data. If you don't like the data, complain to the government -- not the Weather Club.
"The Weather Club EXAMINES CLAIMS".........what claims and whose claims and why is the Weather Club the EXAMINER of these CLAIMS. Is the purpose of the club to REFUTE government scientific data and conclusions or to substantiate the government's conclusions? It seems confusing to me (and others) as to what the Weather Club (and these threads) are TRYING to accomplish. I would prefer a simple, straightforward discussion of the objectives here. Right now it is like a confusing SALES presentation. WHAT is being sold here?
Old 11-17-2022, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
NASA alters data like NOAA does. They say it's for a good cause -- but you decide ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Rc301T-hY
OK, I'll decide. The link says that on the graph, " CO2 has been growing fairly rapidly since 1900. OK that is logical because the world's population has been growing and in the 1st world there is large usage of burning fossil fuels in IC engines. The rest of the link made no sense to me because I see no particular point (other than confusion) to talk about the correlation of the temperature of ONE city on the coast of Iceland to the graph of increasing world CO2. The temperature of that ONE city could be affected by many factors, especially being on the coast.

Scientists have determined a correlation between the recorded temperatures all around the world (NOT just ONE city) and the increased CO2 in the world since 1900. The whole-earth temperatures ate increasing just like the CO2 increase BECAUSE they are CORRELATED. The proof is that glaciers are melting. Polar ice is melting. Reef coral are DYING. Animal species are going extinct at a RECORD pace. Economic migrants are moving northward into BOTH the US and Europe. And Scientific prediction is for INCREASED heat and hurricane STRENGTH for the next 30 years.

And one more thought.....it is easy enough to find a link or one expert to disagree with the GENERAL scientific CONSENSUS. And WHY ...........because the gas and coal industries in the US have a vested ECONOMIC interest in maintaining the STATUS QUO. They sell DIRTY energy! Therefore, they RESIST clean energy. There IS the "follow the money" situation. I wonder if that is discussed at the local WEATHER CLUB ?????
Old 11-17-2022, 02:57 PM
Sage

Here is an article that the Weather Club SHOULD (?) be interested in........Newsbreak......"Devastating floods in Nigeria were 80 times more likely because of climate crisis". In the article, there are direct quotes from world renowned SCIENTISTS about global HEATING. The subject of this thread.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The better (and more important with respect to killer hurricanes) question to ask .........is WHY is the Gulf of Mexico water showing a pattern of record temperatures in recent years. And WHY are world temperatures predicted to increase for the next 30 years? And why is the CO2 increasing in the upper atmosphere AND in the world's oceans?

Personally, I wonder why MORE members of the Villages Weather Club are NOT commenting and giving THEIR opinions on THIS forum? There must be OTHER points of view.

Just to throw out suggestions.......IMO a weather club might work with an agriculture club to grow trees from seeds and have as a club activity, the planting of small trees around the local area. This would be a good response to the excess CO2 in the atmosphere. They could advocate for electric-powered cars, boats, motorcycles, bicycles, golf carts, and lawnmowers here locally. They could advocate for locally-grown farm produce instead of produce TRUCKED in from long distances..........thus adding to the excess CO2. The US is the 2nd LARGEST polluting country on the planet so we are in a unique position to DO something about pollution (excess CO2). Pollution is a 1st world PROBLEM, so a Weather Club could be part of the SOLUTION. The large polluting countries are MAKING the WEATHER of the FUTURE.

A weather club could advocate against WARS which waste energy and cause excess pollution (CO2) production. A Weather Club could advocate FOR the prevention of old-growth forest destruction in the US and the Amazon Rain Forest. Weather is NOT just a LOCAL phenomenon, it is part of a large CHAIN of GLOBAL considerations
Old 11-17-2022, 03:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
OK, I'll decide. The link says that on the graph, " CO2 has been growing fairly rapidly since 1900. OK that is logical because the world's population has been growing and in the 1st world there is large usage of burning fossil fuels in IC engines. The rest of the link made no sense to me because I see no particular point (other than confusion) to talk about the correlation of the temperature of ONE city on the coast of Iceland to the graph of increasing world CO2. The temperature of that ONE city could be affected by many factors, especially being on the coast.

Scientists have determined a correlation between the recorded temperatures all around the world (NOT just ONE city) and the increased CO2 in the world since 1900. The whole-earth temperatures ate increasing just like the CO2 increase BECAUSE they are CORRELATED. The proof is that glaciers are melting. Polar ice is melting. Reef coral are DYING. Animal species are going extinct at a RECORD pace. Economic migrants are moving northward into BOTH the US and Europe. And Scientific prediction is for INCREASED heat and hurricane STRENGTH for the next 30 years.

And one more thought.....it is easy enough to find a link or one expert to disagree with the GENERAL scientific CONSENSUS. And WHY ...........because the gas and coal industries in the US have a vested ECONOMIC interest in maintaining the STATUS QUO. They sell DIRTY energy! Therefore, they RESIST clean energy. There IS the "follow the money" situation. I wonder if that is discussed at the local WEATHER CLUB ?????
Just can’t make this stuff up
All told, ExxonMobil has spent more than $37 million on climate science denier organizations from 1998 through 2019, more than any individual funder besides Charles Koch and his brother, the late David Koch, the billionaire owners of the coal, oil and gas conglomerate Koch Industries.
Closed Thread

Tags
nicole, winds, force, weather, hurricane

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.