Hurricane Watch Sumter County

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2023, 05:31 AM
Veteran member

Asian ....watch the news starting today. Whole different ballgame. DO NOT take this lightly.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Geez people, tis the season! and the height of hurricane season is from the middle of august through the middle of september. .

current forecast in Tampa is a 4-7 ft storm surge surge, which is insurance company hammering. . for lots of very expense waterfront homes..

which insurance company will remain is the real question!
Old 08-28-2023, 05:45 AM
Default Windward Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
So three channels are posting a Hurricane Watch for Sumter until Saturday 11:15pm. No prediction of rain amounts yet.

Wondering if news is just being cautious.
TV is on the windward side of the current path prediction which, if accurate, will net us some serious wind and rain for Idalia midweek.

Then again, Ian had the same predicted path and it turned to hit Ft. Meyers sparing TV.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Be aware? Yes. Prepare? Yes. Panic? NO!

As others have pointed out, the Villages is where Tampa goes to escape the storm.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-28-2023, 06:16 AM

I've lived in hurricane country for a long time. Obviously the big threats are flooding and wind damage mostly due to falling trees and power lines. The Villages has few large trees around homes and few vulnerable power poles, minimizing wind damage except for that to our buildings themselves but they are designed to withstand a lot of wind. Flooding is another matter. I saw what happened to the lower areas around Orlando last year. I don't think TV is as likely to flood that bad except maybe the areas south of 44.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Be aware? Yes. Prepare? Yes. Panic? NO!

As others have pointed out, the Villages is where Tampa goes to escape the storm.
Maybe your relatives and friends head to the Villages to evacuate. I lived in the St Pete Area for 18 years. When people evacuate they are instructed to head toward places outside of the weather center cone. If you evacuate somewhere inside the cone, you are still going to experience hurricane winds, flooding, and power outages. There is also a possibility that trees and debris will block the roads making it difficult to return home. Not to mention when you arrive to an area further inside the cone, parts of the area may be shut down and gas may be in limited supply. We are instructed to stay off major hwys, if possible, because this will only lead to an enormous traffic jam with the possibility of some running out of gas. No one in 18 yrs ever advised us to evacuate to the Ocala/Villages area.

Last edited by Randall55; 08-28-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:34 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Okay, issue a watch but do they have to act like it’s end of the world every time? Remember the boy who cried wolf?
Old 08-28-2023, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

all this and not one mention of a hurricane party..... totally disappointing
Old 08-28-2023, 06:47 AM

I knew this type of weather was part of living in FL, but the same path/area 2 years in a row? Hopefully similar to last year and passes by our area with just some wind and rain. Weather reports say it may be moving through faster than last year's.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:49 AM
Sage

Prepare, be cautious don't panic! When Irma hit the winds and rain were fierce. Power outages in T.V. were scattered but for the most part the newer areas where the infa-structure was underground didn't ever lose it. Yes, there were trees and branches down. I'd say use common sense and watch/listen when possible. I tend not to keep my focus on any of the "news" outlets as it will feed into fear and worry. Yes, I do pay attention!! BUT there's a difference! The 24/7 loop on "news" isn't healthy---with the weather, with politics, with any kind of ________(fill in the blank).
Old 08-28-2023, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
I am not someone who will celebrate someone's misfortune. Not that I am holier than thou, it doesn't feel appropriate.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
I agree!

to drown our sorrows from everyone losing their house insurance due to all insurers leaving the state. . which may cause housing prices to drop faster than AIR BNB insolvency.

the future is always uncertain, sometimes more uncertain than at other times. .
Old 08-28-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Hope everyone has Utube, or prime, or Get out the dvd’s if you have them….last time every channel had non stop weather maps minute by minute. With very little changes every hour.
Did anyone lose WiFi service from Spectrum or Xfinity last time? New here, and not sure what the probability is that we’ll be without Wifi. Without it we won’t have our streaming services. I get that we will lose it if we lose power, but if we lose power I will be too miserable from the heat/humidity to care about WiFi and television.

Last edited by Nana2Teddy; 08-28-2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I am not someone who will celebrate someone's misfortune. Not that I am holier than thou, it doesn't feel appropriate.
You obviously haven’t lived in Florida very long. It’s what you do to escape the never ending “news” cycle. Prepare, then have a party! Done ✅
Old 08-28-2023, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Maybe your relatives and friends head to the Villages to evacuate. I lived in the St Pete Area for 18 years. When people evacuate they are instructed to head toward places outside of the weather center cone. If you evacuate somewhere inside the cone, you are still going to experience hurricane winds, flooding, and power outages. There is also a possibility that trees and debris will block the roads making it difficult to return home. Not to mention when you arrive to an area further inside the cone, parts of the area may be shut down and gas may be in limited supply. We are instructed to stay off major hwys, if possible, because this will only lead to an enormous traffic jam with the possibility of some running out of gas. No one in 18 yrs ever advised us to evacuate to the Ocala/Villages area.
Don’t know what to tell you. Last year some headed away from the cone and went to Ft Myers - didn’t work out well. I haven’t been here 18 years but three or four hurricanes under our belt plus tales of the Villages leads me to believe this is the place I want to be.

The concern about power and trees makes sense… if there were raised power lines and large trees near homes here. I’m still feeling pretty good here.

Gas? Seems like human nature. A hurricane gets named and people run to the pumps. Wish it wasn’t that way but…

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
hurricane, sumter, watch, prediction, news

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.