Hurricane Watch Sumter County

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2023, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,519 Posts

Not to belittle the danger of a hurricane BUT, we live in a bubble that seems to have the luck of being mostly bypassed or skirted by the most severe portions of the storms. One positive aspect of hysterical storm warnings is that the local businesses do great business. I've had lawn furniture in my birdcage that didn't even move when a hurricane went over us a few years ago. I have seen a couple trees down and a few homes that had some missing roof shingles. I have to admit that I did fill the tub up with water "just in case" in prep for one of the storms. The worse storm we have had here (since moving here) I sat up all night watching the news on TV to see how long before I would lose cable. Never lost my cable service and finally went to be at 7am when the storm had passed and move on North. Not shrugging the danger off, just not getting hysterical either. There's always that one time when it really could be a disaster. Kind of like the one time you really need to have that seat belt on to save your life. If you live in Florida or the Carolinas, it's probably good to be prepared for a storm or two.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Which Insurance Companies will leave next?
Good ?. On the bright side this storm will probably hit the least populated part of Florida. Damages can be high as building construction is less wind resistant than buildings on the coast.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
OK but not sure of your point.
They will be buying gas and other necessities which could create a short term shortage of some items. Could also fill up hotels in TV.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
We are not the ones who need to get out of harm's way usually. Unless a tornado is involved and it is hard to plan for those.

We may lose power for a day or two but usually some of the surrounding areas have homes that are without power a lot longer.

The developers picked a great area here in Florida to set up the Villages. We are pretty safe except for from tornadoes and lightning strikes.
Hurricanes/weather were the last thing the developers thought about. They liked an abundance of cheap land.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Geez people, tis the season! and the height of hurricane season is from the middle of august through the middle of september. .

current forecast in Tampa is a 4-7 ft storm surge surge, which is insurance company hammering. . for lots of very expense waterfront homes..

which insurance company will remain is the real question!
Citizens will remain. At this rate they might be the only company left.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:51 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,070 Times in 546 Posts
Default Storm Proof

We may get high winds once in a while, but the real killer storm surge will never reach us.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 08-28-2023, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Not to belittle the danger of a hurricane BUT, we live in a bubble that seems to have the luck of being mostly bypassed or skirted by the most severe portions of the storms. One positive aspect of hysterical storm warnings is that the local businesses do great business. I've had lawn furniture in my birdcage that didn't even move when a hurricane went over us a few years ago. I have seen a couple trees down and a few homes that had some missing roof shingles. I have to admit that I did fill the tub up with water "just in case" in prep for one of the storms. The worse storm we have had here (since moving here) I sat up all night watching the news on TV to see how long before I would lose cable. Never lost my cable service and finally went to be at 7am when the storm had passed and move on North. Not shrugging the danger off, just not getting hysterical either. There's always that one time when it really could be a disaster. Kind of like the one time you really need to have that seat belt on to save your life. If you live in Florida or the Carolinas, it's probably good to be prepared for a storm or two.
You would not think you live in a bubble if you lived near Mallory Country Club Feb 2 2007.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
What about Lake County…We live in the Village of Newell which is in Lake County but zero warnings????
We live in Sumter. Lake and Marion Counties are less than 1/2 mile away. Someone had to draw a line. Lake has a hurricane watch and Sumter has a hurricane warning. Some counties are 40 miles wide and that 40 miles can make a huge difference.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Asian ....watch the news starting today. Whole different ballgame. DO NOT take this lightly.
We have been in TV since 2007, so not first rodeo. The tornado that did damage to Mallory, went directly through our property, build had not started, So no damage since not even lumber had been dropped yet.

We were here for Irma

It just the nonstop info, over and over. Guessing there are some who need drilling of info, in case they forget 10 minutes ago.

Our northern home had multiple destructive tornadoes every summer. We had damage, daughter lost part of her house, and most of their neighborhood was leveled, you deal with it, I just don’t obsess over it.

Not like I can change the outcome of what ever happens, or maybe I can put out a Hedge of Protection around our house, like Mary did for her family on Young Sheldon.

Last edited by asianthree; 08-28-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 01:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Did anyone lose WiFi service from Spectrum or Xfinity last time? New here, and not sure what the probability is that we’ll be without Wifi. Without it we won’t have our streaming services. I get that we will lose it if we lose power, but if we lose power I will be too miserable from the heat/humidity to care about WiFi and television.
We haven’t ever lost power in TV at any of our homes, WiFi got zapped by lightning, just took the box next day and back up and running. We have WiFi in our car, during acts of weather, company doesn’t charge for the hours used.

Last edited by asianthree; 08-28-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,305 Times in 4,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
I've lived in hurricane country for a long time. Obviously the big threats are flooding and wind damage mostly due to falling trees and power lines. The Villages has few large trees around homes and few vulnerable power poles, minimizing wind damage except for that to our buildings themselves but they are designed to withstand a lot of wind. Flooding is another matter. I saw what happened to the lower areas around Orlando last year. I don't think TV is as likely to flood that bad except maybe the areas south of 44.
Why? South of 44 has the same flood prevention designs as the areas from 466 down to 44...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-28-2023, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,173 Times in 2,787 Posts

Won’t be at our Village’s home until a few days after this storm passes, but was there for both Irma and Ian. The worst part about those storms was that the sports pools and golf courses get closed. The pools open within a couple days, after the storm debris is removed from the water, but the golf courses can be closed for a long time, especially Evans Prairie, Belle Glade, and the Palms at Hacienda Hills : (
Old 08-28-2023, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Hurricanes/weather were the last thing the developers thought about. They liked an abundance of cheap land.
The developer thought very long and hard about the ability to move water, to keep your house dry.

Last hurricane, tunnels were flooded, our pond was up by 15-20 feet, it crested the top but never did it reach our home. Why because they ran every sprinkler on every common area, and every golf course to remove as quickly as possible the water, before it reached homes. Courses were flooded but not our home.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:40 PM

Been here for over 60 years. Please remember when and if the traffic lights go out they become a four-way stop sign.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston1945 View Post
Been here for over 60 years. Please remember when and if the traffic lights go out they become a four-way stop sign.
Did you buy one of those lots by mail order in 1963?

Harold Schwartz, a Michigan businessman, began selling land tracts via mail order in The Villages area in the 1960s. He and his business partner, Al Tarrson, were forced to close this aspect of the business following the implementation of a 1968 federal law banning real estate sales by mail order

Tags
hurricane, sumter, watch, prediction, news

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.