Lightning Strikes in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2023, 08:05 PM

Some of you are making my eyes bleed.
You may lighten a load, lighten your hair color. You get struck by lightning. No E.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
My friend had lightning rods got hit anyway small fire in attic
This appears to be an outlier and further information would be useful because we have not seen this series of circumstances and it raises a number of questions.

Did this happen in The Villages? Where and when did it occur? Did the lightning protection system (LPS) firm have installers that were "Master Installer" by exam by the Lightning Protection Institute and was the firm listed by UL? In the aftermath of the event was the LPS firm called in to inspect the system.

How was the fire extinguished - by the fire department or by the homeowner shutting off the gas? What was the nature of the gas line failure and how was it repaired? Who was the manufacturer of the gas pipe? Was the gas manifold in attic grounded to the electric panel with a no. 6 ground wire? Was the manifold grounded to the LPS?
Old 07-14-2023, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post

What was the nature of the gas line failure and how was it repaired? Who was the manufacturer of the gas pipe? Was the gas manifold in attic grounded to the electric panel with a no. 6 ground wire? Was the manifold grounded to the LPS?
Grounding the gas meter and manifold has been electrical code requirement for years as it is for other metallic components/structures.

But I'm curious how a 6 ga solid wire could help mitigate a 30,000 amp. transient lightening strike? There are reasons multi-stand braided cable is used for the LPS.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Grounding the gas meter and manifold has been electrical code requirement for years as it is for other metallic components/structures.

But I'm curious how a 6 ga solid wire could help mitigate a 30,000 amp. transient lightening strike? There are reasons multi-stand braided cable is used for the LPS.
Grounding on the customer side of the gas meter is being done on homes built south of SR44. Between 466A and 42 homes with gas were supposed to have the No. 6 ground wire from the gas manifold in the attic to the electric panel ground. Absolutely agree it is of little value in a lightning strike but that is the way it was being installed in the past. If you have a lightning protection system it will be grounded at the manifold and the meter.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Grounding on the customer side of the gas meter is being done on homes built south of SR44.

Between 466A and 42 homes with gas were supposed to have the No. 6 ground wire from the gas manifold in the attic to the electric panel ground.

Absolutely agree it is of little value in a lightning strike but that is the way it was being installed in the past.

If you have a lightning protection system it will be grounded at the manifold and the meter.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Seriously????

40 years ago on Long Island there were 2 guys going around offering to "recharge" your lightning rods for $100-----With inflation taken into account, I'd be glad to "recertify" lightning rods for let's say $400. Of course, the hard part is getting lightning to strike them so we know "they work".
Ah Ha, how many years did Vito and Rocco get for that scam?? Genius! Imagine if they put all that energy into good things instead! Might as well live a thrilling life cause you could be boring and still a Genius and get run over by a Bull in the middle of a field say maybe in Spain.

I'm calling up North tomorrow and getting in on the ground floor of this enterprise you turned me onto. I've been bored with all this heat. Need a money-making diversion.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Grounding on the customer side of the gas meter is being done on homes built south of SR44. Between 466A and 42 homes with gas were supposed to have the No. 6 ground wire from the gas manifold in the attic to the electric panel ground. Absolutely agree it is of little value in a lightning strike but that is the way it was being installed in the past. If you have a lightning protection system it will be grounded at the manifold and the meter.
FYI/If I understand correctly, the manufacturer of CCST is recommending consideration LPS in lightening prone areas?

Depending upon conditions specific to the location of the structure in which the Gastite system is being installed, including but not limited to whether the area is prone to lightning, the owner of the structure should consider whether a lightning protection system is necessary or appropriate.

It also appears the Arc-resistant CSST used South of 44 with a black outer “arc-resistant” jacket probably don’t need any special bonding.

Bonding CSST - Structure Tech Home Inspections

310.3 Arc-resistant CSST.
This section applies to corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) that is listed with an arcresistant jacket or coating system in accordance with ANSI LC 1/CSA 6.26. The CSST shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground fault current path.

Where any CSST component of a piping system does not have an arc-resistant jacket or coating system, the bonding requirements of Section 310.2 shall apply.

Arc-resistant-jacketed CSST shall be considered to be bonded where it is connected to an appliance that is connected to the appliance grounding conductor of the circuit that supplies that appliance.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6062.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	99352  
Old 07-20-2023, 06:05 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
I have been coming to the villages since 1999. .
Been coming since '99, jus joined ToTV a couple months ago...............did you have a different sign-on name??

Tags
lightning, home, villages, bad, common

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.