Lightning Strikes in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2023, 01:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts
Default Lightning Strikes in The Villages

I got a breaking news email from that “alternative” Villages new source, that said a home in the Village of Linden was struck by lightning and burned down in last night’s thunder/lightning activity. Since this my first summer living here, was curious how often this happens - Common, Not-So-Common, One-Off?

I feel so bad for the homeowners, luckily no one was home at the time of fire, as they were up North.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,321 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I got a breaking news email from that “alternative” Villages new source, that said a home in the Village of Linden was struck by lightning and burned down in last night’s thunder/lightning activity. Since this my first summer living here, was curious how often this happens - Common, Not-So-Common, One-Off?

I feel so bad for the homeowners, luckily no one was home at the time of fire, as they were up North.
How many people have lightning rods on their houses? Ballpark, what did it cost? Do you think it was worth it? Do they work?

I would think you would get a discount on your insurance if you had them.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

My impression is strikes are rare, maybe once per year.

I haven't heard of a house with lightning rods being damaged. On the other hand, there are tens of thousands of houses without lightning rods that also have not been damaged. Probably an inexpensive way to hedge your bet.

To be effective a lightning rod system needs to be installed correctly. Make sure to vet the company you buy from.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

If your next door neighbor has lightning rods, you're in luck....
Old 06-16-2023, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

If the Sun had a living, breathing editor interested in reporting the news info on it will be in tomorrows paper
Old 06-16-2023, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Here's a previous thread:

Lightning Protection Systems
Old 06-16-2023, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

There is a reason the Tampa Bay professional hockey team is called the Lightning. The imaginary line between Tampa and Daytona Beach is the lightning belt capital of the country, and the line goes through the Villages. Being on a peninsula, sandwiched between the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, makes for frequent and unpredictable pop up lightning storms during the warm tropical summer months. It’s my least favorite thing about the Village’s given that my favorite two activities are lap swimming and golfing. Being submerged in an excellent conductor of electricity like water, or in an open area swinging a lightning rod, are both very dangerous activities. Oh well, I can think of worse ways to have my number called.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

I was watching the Women's Amateur golf event that they play at Augusta, the week before the Masters, last year, during a storm when KABOOM!!, that simultaneous noise and flash that tells you you've been hit knocks me just about out of my chair, and the TV goes "pphhhffftttt....".

My next door neighbors were away, but when they returned my neighbor says to me "hey, look at this.." and on the other side of his house there was a nice chunk of stucco missing.
Neither of us have lightning rods.
He had no issues with his electronics.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

Bird cages = a major attraction for lightning strikes.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:31 PM

info on lightning: Lightning is not attracted to metal: Top 5 myths of lightning...
Old 06-16-2023, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I know of one home that was struck by lightning, on their moving day. All classic cars in the 4 car garage, furniture in place, boxes not yet unpacked. Tired, they went to grab something to eat, storm came in while they were out. Lighting struck, home, classic cars, total loss, along with losing their pet. Since 07 it is the only home I knew of personally, that lightning destroyed a home. I am sure there have been others, but this home in our circle of people.

So yes it does happen, but with the thousands of home in such a large area, it’s just bad luck. Nope we don’t have lighting rods
Old 06-16-2023, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I know of one home that was struck by lightning, on their moving day. All classic cars in the 4 car garage, furniture in place, boxes not yet unpacked. Tired, they went to grab something to eat, storm came in while they were out. Lighting struck, home, classic cars, total loss, along with losing their pet. Since 07 it is the only home I knew of personally, that lightning destroyed a home.
now that is some sort of bad luck!

Have been in a top floor of a business building in Boca when lightening hit the rods above us. . . Big loud snap!
Old 06-16-2023, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

There is a house on the left side of #5 on the Amelia 9 at Mallory that had severe damage from lightning maybe 6-9 months ago---it is still under reconstruction, but getting there.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
If the Sun had a living, breathing editor interested in reporting the news info on it will be in tomorrows paper
That’s soon enough for me……..::
Old 06-16-2023, 06:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

In Deltona: Roofer killed by lightning strike in Florida | wtsp.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
lightning, home, villages, bad, common

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.