Lightning Strikes in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2023, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,521 Times in 3,108 Posts

A metal roof is one of the safest options in an area prone to lightning strikes. So your architectural shingles will be useless when lightning destroys your entire house, and my double-wide with a metal roof will be the one blown away by the hurricane.
Old 06-17-2023, 02:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I got a breaking news email from that “alternative” Villages new source, that said a home in the Village of Linden was struck by lightning and burned down in last night’s thunder/lightning activity. Since this my first summer living here, was curious how often this happens - Common, Not-So-Common, One-Off?

I feel so bad for the homeowners, luckily no one was home at the time of fire, as they were up North.
I have been coming to the villages since 1999. I have heard of lightening strikes and homes burning down more times than I can count. Not many, one every two years maybe, but it most certainly does happen! Mind you, I am not a full timer. I do not know the exact numbers.

Once, while renting a cyv in 2017 at sumter landing, a lightening strike blew the appliances in the home. ( air conditioner, garage door opener, water heater, sprinklers etc). Not only in the home I was renting but in several of the villas in close proximity. The owner called a repairman who quickly came to fix the air conditioning. As you can imagine, the house was hot!

While he was fixing the issue, I asked him how many calls like this he receives. His. answer shocked me! Quite a bit he said!

I then asked why this happens. He said homes are very close. When lightening hits one home it usually causes damage in other homes on the same side of the street. He said he believes the lightening travels through the sprinkler systems. That would be his best guess.

A few days later, the garage door repairman told me I was lucky the house did not burn down. Terrified, I asked if that happens frequently. He answered yes, but usually in homes with natural gas.

I then asked what the natural gas had to do with it. He said the lines run through the attic. If there is a spark, the home is going to burn down for sure.

As the other repairemen came to fix the issues, they each had similar stories. Yes, they are kept quite busy with lightening strikes.

I asked a few neighbors about their homes. One told me his wife smelled something burning and it was his printer in the spare bedroom melting. Another said he lost a/c, while another said his refrigerator stopped working.

It was then that I began to notice many villagers have lightening rods to protect their homes. I realized this must be a much bigger problem than I can imagine. People wouldn't purchase lightening rods if they do not feel they need them!

Since my experience at LSL, I have never rented a home with natural gas. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

A myth that natural gas is exactly the reason a particular home burns down, or lightening travels through the sprinkler system, MAYBE, But, I experienced a lightening strike and it MOST CERTAINLY DOES HAPPEN. Don't wish to scare anyone, just telling my story.
Old 06-17-2023, 02:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I have driven by three houses in this area that were struck by lightning. Or, at least, burned down. I would have to research the reasons but there were stories about them in The Villages Daily Sun.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

In 2022 we used Triangle for rods on our villa. About $1500, worth our piece of mind.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Interesting article on lightning rods and one on insurance claims for lightning strikes.

Should I Install a Lightning Rod? | Mr. Electric

Facts + Statistics: Lightning | III
Old 06-17-2023, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

If you have lightning rods installed, and then you need a new roof, what happens? Does the roofing company reinstall the rods, or do you have to call the installer? Also the same question pertaining to solar panels? Satellite discs?
Old 06-17-2023, 05:24 AM
Default Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
If you have lightning rods installed, and then you need a new roof, what happens? Does the roofing company reinstall the rods, or do you have to call the installer? Also the same question pertaining to solar panels? Satellite discs?
This is the 21st home to be destroyed by lightning since 2004. None had a lightning protection system. There are many myths included in this thread.
There will be a free non-commercial educational lightning presentation at the POA meeting on Tuesday June 20th, 7 PM, at Laurel Manor. The subjects to be covered:
Personal lightning safety outdoors and indoors
Lightning induced surge to appliances and electronics
Lightning protection systems commonly called lightning rods
Debunking a bakers dozen common myths about lightning
Old 06-17-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
If your next door neighbor has lightning rods, you're in luck....
Do your homework. You already know lightning doesn't always strike the tallest trees in the forest. We have lightning rods and the house immediately next to ours was hit.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Would you need ARC approval to add a lightning rod to your home?
Old 06-17-2023, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I got a breaking news email from that “alternative” Villages new source, that said a home in the Village of Linden was struck by lightning and burned down in last night’s thunder/lightning activity. Since this my first summer living here, was curious how often this happens - Common, Not-So-Common, One-Off?

I feel so bad for the homeowners, luckily no one was home at the time of fire, as they were up North.
A quick google search will tell you this…

Nothing can guarantee your home won't get hit, because 5% of the structure fires in Florida are caused by lightning strikes; that means nearly 2,500 every year across the state.

But I can also say, being born and raised here that I’ve personally, nor has anyone I know, ever lost their house due to fire but i have seen plenty of trees fall on houses due to getting hit.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:

There is a home near Sumter Landing, near the Village of Caroline, that burned down a couple of years ago. Lots of lightening rods on homes in that area now. Great business opportunity for someone out there. I doubt all those neighboring homes got ARC approval to add them.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Lighting strikes are more common than you would think. In the last few weeks there have been news stories about 2 people struck by lightening as well as the house in Linden. Many more people can tell you about fried electronics from nearby strikes.

My house came with lightening rods because a house on our street was hit with lightning and burned down. Len Hathaway know as mister lightening lives in my neighborhood and gives frequent talks about lightening protection. I recommend A1 lightening protection services he will come out and give you a free estimate. He has done over 5,000 homes in the Villages.

If you belong to the POA they have articles about lightening protection by Len. Not sure if you can access past articles in the Daily Sun but he has done articles there also.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
This is the 21st home to be destroyed by lightning since 2004. None had a lightning protection system. There are many myths included in this thread.
There will be a free non-commercial educational lightning presentation at the POA meeting on Tuesday June 20th, 7 PM, at Laurel Manor. The subjects to be covered:
Personal lightning safety outdoors and indoors
Lightning induced surge to appliances and electronics
Lightning protection systems commonly called lightning rods
Debunking a bakers dozen common myths about lightning
This is a very informative presentation, highly recommend.

I've noticed critical infrastructure buildings in The Villages have lightening supression systems. Pump houses, fire stations, office/sales centers, etc.

Has any association been observed with metallic natural gas lines in the attic? Or the vertical steel gas pipe that runs from the meter to the attic?

That corner of the garage looked like the point hit in several recent local strikes. Concrete block walls are even cracked/damaged from the strike near the gas meter.

Last edited by Altavia; 06-17-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
There is a home near Sumter Landing, near the Village of Caroline, that burned down a couple of years ago. Lots of lightening rods on homes in that area now. Great business opportunity for someone out there. I doubt all those neighboring homes got ARC approval to add them.
Don’t need arc approval to add lightening rods or satellite dishes or tv antennas.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post

But I can also say, being born and raised here that I’ve personally, nor has anyone I know, ever lost their house due to fire but i have seen plenty of trees fall on houses due to getting hit.
Now you do.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5941.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	98932  
Closed Thread

Tags
lightning, home, villages, bad, common

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.