Lightning Strikes in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2023, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
If you have lightning rods installed, and then you need a new roof, what happens? Does the roofing company reinstall the rods, or do you have to call the installer? Also the same question pertaining to solar panels? Satellite discs?
You would need the licensed installer to put them back on more than just bolting on rods involved.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
How many people have lightning rods on their houses? Ballpark, what did it cost? Do you think it was worth it? Do they work?

I would think you would get a discount on your insurance if you had them.
I had rods installed around 10 years ago . The cost was $2500. Definitely a peace of mind. No discount on insurance. I just checked again (I ask every year). There are very informative presentations given in TV. After I attended one, I decided to install them.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:17 AM
Default Lightening and the fire department

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I was watching the Women's Amateur golf event that they play at Augusta, the week before the Masters, last year, during a storm when KABOOM!!, that simultaneous noise and flash that tells you you've been hit knocks me just about out of my chair, and the TV goes "pphhhffftttt....".

My next door neighbors were away, but when they returned my neighbor says to me "hey, look at this.." and on the other side of his house there was a nice chunk of stucco missing.
Neither of us have lightning rods.
He had no issues with his electronics.
I lived in the midwest and saw 3 different houses hit and 2 of the 3 burned. What I learned from that experience was if you are hit call the fire department. Two of the houses thought they had no damage. One called the fire department and had some damage that was smoldering under the siding and did not burn. The other one did not call the fire department and four hours later the top floor of the house was burning out of control. No matter what, call the fire department and let them check it out.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Lightning doesn't always play by the rules. Back in Minnesota as a teenager I went to get the mail (driveway maybe 50 yards long), got the mail out of the mailbox, turned around to walk back to the house and BOOOM! The thunder, huge flash of light and a hot wind hit all at once. It had hit and destroyed the mailbox. I was no more than 20 feet from it when it hit. Even with my back turned the flash when the lightning struck the mailbox was impressive.

Forest line maybe 30 feet in back of the mailbox, power poles nearby, storm still miles off...yeah. Obviously nobody had informed this lightning bolt where it was supposed to hit.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:57 AM

Very scary. Had lightning rods installed on our roof this year.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:00 AM
Sage

It's said FL is the "lightening capital of the world".........at the "get acquainted" seminars they'll talk about this. They also warn about being outside as well when a storm is approaching. IF you hear thunder (and it can be far away) lightening is a possibility to strike. It astounds me how many golfers are out and the sky is very dark with thunder and they aren't running for cover. No, I don't mean under a tree neither. Years ago, when we lived in the upper midwest, I knew a couple who'd lost loved ones to lightening on a golf course. It was said they went to get out of the rain under a roof (maybe a starter shack) and both got struck and died, leaving a young family. Reports are mixed here, on whether lightening rods are needed. I've read BOTH "for AND against" the need. Maybe call one of the fire stations and ask.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:20 AM
Default Lightning Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
How many people have lightning rods on their houses? Ballpark, what did it cost? Do you think it was worth it? Do they work?

I would think you would get a discount on your insurance if you had them.
We and many neighbors have had lightning rods since we moved here in 2011. Our house has been struck at least once and a couple of friends houses have also been struck in other neighborhoods without any damage. Two years ago the house across the street from us was hit causing a fire and other electrical damage. They do not have lightning protection. It depends on your risk tolerance, whether you need/want them. The cost is between $1500-$2500 depending on the size of the home. Insurance companies "may" give a discount.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I got a breaking news email from that “alternative” Villages new source, that said a home in the Village of Linden was struck by lightning and burned down in last night’s thunder/lightning activity. Since this my first summer living here, was curious how often this happens - Common, Not-So-Common, One-Off?

I feel so bad for the homeowners, luckily no one was home at the time of fire, as they were up North.
You/we live in the lightening capital of the US. Twenty years ago when they ran gas line into the attics and lightening hit a house, it would burn the entire structure if wood framed and entire roof if it was block and stucco. Then they went to all electric. So, if you have plastic gas lines in your attic, you will be susceptible to serious damage if hit by lightening.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:41 AM

Since last year I find myself not liking lightning storms. Rain is fine. Funny I never worried as much about those back when I was renting.

Florida is the #1 state in lightning density with 285 events every square mile. Though Texas is #1 with lightning strikes with over 18 million!

Thinking about getting a rod...
Old 06-17-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I got a breaking news email from that “alternative” Villages new source, that said a home in the Village of Linden was struck by lightning and burned down in last night’s thunder/lightning activity. Since this my first summer living here, was curious how often this happens - Common, Not-So-Common, One-Off?

I feel so bad for the homeowners, luckily no one was home at the time of fire, as they were up North.
Any more news, we live at Linden and are currently at Maryland?
Old 06-17-2023, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeroger View Post
We and many neighbors have had lightning rods since we moved here in 2011. Our house has been struck at least once and a couple of friends houses have also been struck in other neighborhoods without any damage. Two years ago the house across the street from us was hit causing a fire and other electrical damage. They do not have lightning protection. It depends on your risk tolerance, whether you need/want them. The cost is between $1500-$2500 depending on the size of the home.
the cost is equal to one year's home insurance premium for lifetime of protection against the worst type of bad luck, very random very bad luck.

I also have the NOAA weather app with lightening strikes enabled, and the app dings all day out of TV. I had it ding one day with strikes within 20 miles of TV and it was sunny with puffy clouds where we were golfing. With modern technology and notifications, I always have it going when down in FL.

My first trip to FL was a business trip to Ft. Lauderdale in the early 90s. I was watching the morning news and a story came across of a woman killed by lightening while pushing her grocery cart to her car.. .

I'm in for rods

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 06-17-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post
I had rods installed around 10 years ago . The cost was $2500. Definitely a peace of mind. No discount on insurance. I just checked again (I ask every year). There are very informative presentations given in TV. After I attended one, I decided to install them.
How often do you have to get them checked? I was wondering how often they need recertification to make sure they work.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:00 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,779 Times in 3,646 Posts

How many people who have rods in TV, have been hit with lightning??
Old 06-17-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:

It’s not all bad, at least they are getting a new roof without scamming the insurance company : )
Old 06-17-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
If the Sun had a living, breathing editor interested in reporting the news info on it will be in tomorrows paper
It was in the DS with a picture as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
lightning, home, villages, bad, common

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.