Lightning Tips for Villagers

Old 05-14-2024, 08:42 AM
Default Lightning Tips for Villagers

On Thursday, May 16th, The Villages Weather Club will be presenting Lightning Tips for Villagers, 1:30 PM, at Laurel Manor. Florida is the Lightning Capital of the USA and typically leads the nation in fatalities, injuries, and property damage annually. The purpose of this presentation is to help make you an informed consumer regarding your lightning risk to you, your family, your pets, your appliance/electronics, your home, and to combat the myths and misinformation about lightning. Here are some topics that will be discussed:

What do I need to know about lighting safety both outdoors and indoors?

How do I protect my sensitive electronics and appliances from surge damage induced by an indirect lightning strike?

What do I need to know about lightning protection systems commonly called lightning rods if I am concerned with a direct strike to my home?

What are the 10 myths that will be debunked?

This is a free, educational, non-commercial, community service presentation by a small group called the Study Group on Lightning.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:49 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hello Study Group, My name is Casandra with Pike's Electric. I am interested in your presentation and curious to know what you are offering your attendees in regards to surge protection from indirect lightning? Do you have a product you recommend?
We utilize the whole home surge protector, the Eaton Ultra CHSPT2ULTRA. This unit is rated to protect current of up to 106,000 amps and we highly suggest it to protect major home appliances and sensitive electronics (such as A/C, refrigerator, washer, dryer, stove, etc.)
Maybe we can discuss further? here or via email.
Cnelson@pikeselectric.com
Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

(352)748-6251
Old 05-14-2024, 09:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,763 Times in 471 Posts

OP- thanks for posting, I plan to attend.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

This first thing I did to our Villages' home was to install lightning rods ... then a whole house surge protector ... then individual surge protectors for all electronic equipment. I then had the cheap flexible yellow gas lines in the attic replaced with iron pipe -- impervious to lightning. I then had a quick shut-off value (lever) installed on the incoming gas line -- so now there's no need to look for the right tool in an emergency - day or night.

Tags
lightning, strike, damage, presentation, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.