The Schwarzschild Equation

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2023, 05:45 AM

The Schwarzschild Equation describes a gravitational field.

Golfers are interested in gravity.

Are people who understand the Schwarzschild Equation and also golf any better golfers than those not understanding the equation?

If studying the Schwarzschild Equation doesn’t make ordinary people better off, why should ordinary people care about it? @sounding
Old 12-22-2023, 08:06 AM
Default Festus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegalkid View Post
Whenever I read scientific articles about The Schwarzschild Equation (which happily is next to never) or come across the phrase “and yet the media never mentions it” I hold my breath for approximately 30-45 seconds (depending on how I’m feeling that day), thereby decreasing my carbon footprint by a calculation too complicated to explain here or display on a graph. For scientific types, I’ve labeled it the “Guinness Equation” and the complete equation with all the trig and calculus calculations can be found on the men’s bathroom wall of Bull Feeney’s Irish pub in Portland Maine. While I have your attention, who do you think Bull Feeney really was? He was a real and very famous person. Hint: his real last name is that of an American car manufacturer but one should really think “Hollywood” and some of good old American movies. Happy holidays, all.
Had never googled the guy. Coincidentally had just read up on Maureen O'Hara yesterday. "Festus" was his SIL for a while. :-) Lots of fun new info in the (*long*) Wikipedia article. And, now know that Wilhelm Fried Fuchs (Fried Vilmos) is the ultimate namesake of that eponymous channel. Also reminded me of recently having read the fascinating story of Carole Lombard. Might've previously thought that he and John Huston were the same guy. :-) He made Rear Admiral! Learnt that Star Trek kinda developed out of Wagon Train.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:14 AM
Default crisis

"Never let a crisis go to waste."

Even if you have to make one up.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post

Are people who understand the Schwarzschild Equation and also golf any better golfers than those not understanding the equation?

If studying the Schwarzschild Equation doesn’t make ordinary people better off, why should ordinary people care about it? @sounding
Those who attended the Schwarzschild talk learned that the Schwarzschild Metric describes the gravitational field around black holes ... Schwarzschild metric - Wikipedia ... and that the Schwarzschild Equation describes radiative transfer of energy regarding greenhouse gases ... Schwarzschild's equation for radiative transfer - Wikipedia
Old 12-22-2023, 08:23 AM
Default Karl and Martin

Quote:

Karl got croaked during WW1 but his son became a big boy in astronomy.

Golfers might lean more towards "spin" rather than gravity within the (simple) physics realm for practical info.

Trackman caused the "rules" of golf ball flight to "change" a while back. However, watch folks' eyes glaze over if you bring it up. :-) Use the new ball flight laws to understand your tendencies – GolfWRX

Last edited by mntlblok; 12-22-2023 at 08:53 AM. Reason: inadvertent apostrophe removed from a plural :-)
Old 12-22-2023, 08:58 AM
Default Gravity

Quote:

Actually, I *do* have a little bubble balance in the cart that I keep meaning to pull out on the practice green. . . :-)
Old 12-22-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

I never saw that one, but I did enjoy The Ipcress File.

Fred
Old 12-22-2023, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

I never saw that one, but I did enjoy The Ipcress File.
Right, Hollywood is dying to make that Schwarzschild movie. But since someone mentioned CLIMATE, I would just remind people that 2023 was a banner year for climate RECORDS. Because 2023 was the HOTTEST IN RECORDED HISTORY. REAL climate scientists have stated that the next 8 years will continue to be HOTTER and HOTTER worldwide. This morning on TV Dr. Vin Gupta (please Google him) had some VERY dire warnings about human health from the elevated temperatures like 2023. it is even affecting human life spans (negatively). Disease and new disease transmissibility will increase. Asthma will increase due to increased temperatures. Crime will increase due to increased human irritability.
..........It is almost humorous how REALLY BIG this problem is and simultaneously how LITTLE US Government agencies are doing about it. Talk about our grandchildren all we want, but most people don't REALIZE that we are leaving them with an almost UNLIVABLE planet. And people wonder why migrants are moving NORTH (think about THAT) !!!!!!
Old 12-22-2023, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Right, Hollywood is dying to make that Schwarzschild movie. But since someone mentioned CLIMATE, I would just remind people that 2023 was a banner year for climate RECORDS. Because 2023 was the HOTTEST IN RECORDED HISTORY. REAL climate scientists have stated that the next 8 years will continue to be HOTTER and HOTTER worldwide. This morning on TV Dr. Vin Gupta (please Google him) had some VERY dire warnings about human health from the elevated temperatures like 2023. it is even affecting human life spans (negatively). Disease and new disease transmissibility will increase. Asthma will increase due to increased temperatures. Crime will increase due to increased human irritability.
..........It is almost humorous how REALLY BIG this problem is and simultaneously how LITTLE US Government agencies are doing about it. Talk about our grandchildren all we want, but most people don't REALIZE that we are leaving them with an almost UNLIVABLE planet. And people wonder why migrants are moving NORTH (think about THAT) !!!!!!
What climate crisis? How much did "man-made" CO2 warm the earth last year?
Old 12-22-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
Those who attended the Schwarzschild talk learned that the Schwarzschild Metric describes the gravitational field around black holes ... Schwarzschild metric - Wikipedia ... and that the Schwarzschild Equation describes radiative transfer of energy regarding greenhouse gases ... Schwarzschild's equation for radiative transfer - Wikipedia
@sounding

Thanks for responding. You described ‘what’ but not ‘why’. Why should ordinary people care about the Schwarzschild Equation?
Old 12-22-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Had never googled the guy. Coincidentally had just read up on Maureen O'Hara yesterday. "Festus" was his SIL for a while. :-) Lots of fun new info in the (*long*) Wikipedia article. And, now know that Wilhelm Fried Fuchs (Fried Vilmos) is the ultimate namesake of that eponymous channel. Also reminded me of recently having read the fascinating story of Carole Lombard. Might've previously thought that he and John Huston were the same guy. :-) He made Rear Admiral! Learnt that Star Trek kinda developed out of Wagon Train.
Ha. Someone can do research. Bingo. Bull Feeney aka John Martin Feeney aka Hollywood legend John Ford. From Portland Maine; born 1894. My grandfather (b. 1896) and Feeney (Ford) were members of an Irish youth gang circa 1910s whose domain was the docks of Portland Harbor. Tough lads. Feeney eventually made it west to Hollywood. The rest is film history.

*The film “The Quiet Man reflects his fascination and pride in his Irish immigrant roots. The protagonist, Sean Thornton — boxer — by John Wayne, is an alter ego for Ford (Sean being an Irish equivalent of John).
Ford did love boxers, and that's part of the appeal of Victor McLaglen, who won an Oscar for The Informer, and who then appeared Wayne Ford in mostly comic roles in Ford's cavalry trio. Clearly, there was a love of the gusto and camaraderie in saloons-preferably frequented by Irish and Irish immigrants, which he grew up with in Portland where his father owned a bar.”

"I like the old masters, by which I mean John Ford, John Ford, and John Ford."
-Orson Welles

*Source: Portland Monthly, February/March 2018
Old 12-22-2023, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
@sounding

Thanks for responding. You described ‘what’ but not ‘why’. Why should ordinary people care about the Schwarzschild Equation?
Guess why the public is familiar with Einstein's (E=mc2) equation, but not Schwarzschild's equation? Even though Schwarzschild's equation is the defining science describing greenhouse gas warming (and cooling) ... the public has never heard of it. This equation sits at the heart of the so-called "climate crisis" ... and yet the media ignores it. I wonder why.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
Guess why the public is familiar with Einstein's (E=mc2) equation, but not Schwarzschild's equation? Even though Schwarzschild's equation is the defining science describing greenhouse gas warming (and cooling) ... the public has never heard of it. This equation sits at the heart of the so-called "climate crisis" ... and yet the media ignores it. I wonder why.
The media is mostly ignoring the fact that there IS a "climate crisis". 2023 is the HOTTEST on record. And the last 7 years have been getting increasingly HOTTER. This is NOT hearsay, theory, or hypothesis. It IS actual temperature MEASUREMENTS all over the Earth. The US and other nations should be working on how to COMBAT this warming, NOT listening to naysayers. NOT debating which overseas war the US should support. Man is losing it's war with mother nature of our Earth. People have trouble seeing Global Warming because it happens SLOWLY like a frog in a slowly boiling pan of water. We NEED solutions, not naysayers.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
The media is mostly ignoring the fact that there IS a "climate crisis". 2023 is the HOTTEST on record. And the last 7 years have been getting increasingly HOTTER. This is NOT hearsay, theory, or hypothesis. It IS actual temperature MEASUREMENTS all over the Earth. The US and other nations should be working on how to COMBAT this warming, NOT listening to naysayers. NOT debating which overseas war the US should support. Man is losing it's war with mother nature of our Earth. People have trouble seeing Global Warming because it happens SLOWLY like a frog in a slowly boiling pan of water. We NEED solutions, not naysayers.
Well said!
Old 12-22-2023, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
You are correct that "global warming occurs slowly"---in repetitive cycles of about 100,000 YEARS. All without any influence by humans. (It is the only part of your post that is correct)
Closed Thread

Tags
equation, co2, saturation, aspect, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.