Villages 2007 Groundhog Day Tornado

Old 01-31-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
One of the Villages' CERT team members on the scene, told me that when Red Cross finally arrived, they said they never saw a community response like that anywhere else before -- and since there was nothing for them to do -- they packed up and left. Here are some photos ... https://www.**************.com/2019/...and-lady-lake/
I couldn’t open your link.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
I couldn’t open your link.
Looks like "talk of the villages" doesn't like the competition being advertised. Just go to the Villages DASH News DOT Com website and search for "2007 villages tornado". Or better yet, see the best pictures, and much more, on Feb 2 at 4 PM at the First Responders Recreation Center.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmilo View Post
If disaster struck today, good chance the support and kindness wouldn’t happen today. Mr Morse’s family is not cut from the same stock as Mr Morse, Just my opinion.
Wow, it only took 13 posts before someone started damning The Developer.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:47 PM

I saw that too when looking. That quick action and no "evacuation route" signs did it. This is where they evacuate to. Bad sentence structure.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

More information about tornadoes in Florida

Tornadoes - Florida Climate Center

And the following is from a Wind Science and Engineering Research Center Texas Tech University study of The Villages tornado that has since been moved so I can't located the complete text.

NWI Research | National Wind Institute | TTU

part of the conclusion in the study and what they suggested might need to be addressed.

1. The first tornado was classified as an EF-3 with wind speeds of 136-165 mph. The primary Damage Indicator (DI) was One Family Residences (FR12) with an observed Degree of Damage (DOD) for a majority of the structures in the range of 3-8, with a single DOD 10 demolished structure. The homes in The Villages were site-built and were less than five years old. Their construction type varied from total wood frame; CMU with wood frame roofs; to a hybrid of wood frame and light gage metal construction. Most of the homes investigated were constructed utilizing current hurricane mitigation methods and products. These included steel straps, roof clips, hurricane glazing, and hurricane-rated overhead doors. Those homes not directly under the storm vortex suffered small amounts of roofing, decking and cladding damage. In addition to these damages, those homes near or under the vortex further suffered loss of roof structure, garage doors and walls. Two mechanisms of failure were noted relating to the severely damaged homes: (a) These homes subjected to the higher speed winds, lost glazing and garage doors, became internally pressurized which produced subsequent failure of large portions of the building structure and walls; (b) Most homes observed were not constructed with traditional frame wall ―T�s‖ (I posted this in 2015 and thus not sure of this T...) and building corners which contributed to extensive loss of whole wall sections.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
More information about tornadoes in Florida

Tornadoes - Florida Climate Center

And the following is from a Wind Science and Engineering Research Center Texas Tech University study of The Villages tornado that has since been moved so I can't located the complete text.

NWI Research | National Wind Institute | TTU

part of the conclusion in the study and what they suggested might need to be addressed.

1. The first tornado was classified as an EF-3 with wind speeds of 136-165 mph. The primary Damage Indicator (DI) was One Family Residences (FR12) with an observed Degree of Damage (DOD) for a majority of the structures in the range of 3-8, with a single DOD 10 demolished structure. The homes in The Villages were site-built and were less than five years old. Their construction type varied from total wood frame; CMU with wood frame roofs; to a hybrid of wood frame and light gage metal construction. Most of the homes investigated were constructed utilizing current hurricane mitigation methods and products. These included steel straps, roof clips, hurricane glazing, and hurricane-rated overhead doors. Those homes not directly under the storm vortex suffered small amounts of roofing, decking and cladding damage. In addition to these damages, those homes near or under the vortex further suffered loss of roof structure, garage doors and walls. Two mechanisms of failure were noted relating to the severely damaged homes: (a) These homes subjected to the higher speed winds, lost glazing and garage doors, became internally pressurized which produced subsequent failure of large portions of the building structure and walls; (b) Most homes observed were not constructed with traditional frame wall ―T�s‖ (I posted this in 2015 and thus not sure of this T...) and building corners which contributed to extensive loss of whole wall sections.
Some of the data is discussed in the Feb 2 Tornado talk.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:52 AM

We were awakened by a sonic boom sound at 3am. Along the 466 area we had no damage but just south of us about 2-3 miles it was a mess.
The Groundhog Day tornado outbreak of 2007 was a devastating event that hit The Villages, Florida. The outbreak produced three tornadoes, with the first tornado grazing Wildwood on its East-Northeast path toward The Villages. At 3:10 a.m. it touched down onto Bailey Trail as an EF-3 tornado, traveling at nearly 60 mph while producing 160 mph winds. The tornado traveled across the entire mid-section of The Villages as it raced East-Northeastward and then exited five minutes later at 3:15 a.m. In those brief yet terrifying five minutes, the tornado damaged approximately 1,300 Villages homes. Some homes only experienced light damage while others suffered massive destruction. Even though most residents were sound asleep when the tornado hit, there were amazingly no fatalities, but there were many injuries.

Last edited by mrf0151; 02-01-2024 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2024, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmilo View Post
If disaster struck today, good chance the support and kindness wouldn’t happen today. Mr Morse’s family is not cut from the same stock as Mr Morse, Just my opinion.
And your opinion is wrong. Just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:32 PM
Default tornado

we had one - Feb 2, 2007 — Mallory Hill Country Club suffered severe damage from the early morning tornado

Did taxes for a lady who's house was next door didn't touch her house BUT they create a vacuum so her windows IMPLODED inside the house! Now you know why you NEVER shelter in a room with windows

Tags
groundhog, day, villages, tornado, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.