When looking for a home in TV. "WIND DAMAGE"

Old 02-08-2024, 04:59 AM
Default When looking for a home in TV. "WIND DAMAGE"

We are future home buyers in TV. Re: Storms, what direction is best for your home to face ? Does it matter ? Should a home face a certain direction to have the least damage to roofs in a hurricane ? Do the winds from hurricane hit TV from the same direction every time ?

Do people cover windows in prep for hurricanes or is TV too far inland to worry about such things.

Tornado alley Nebraskan is just freaking out in advance.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:57 AM
Default Wind and home facing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
We are future home buyers in TV. Re: Storms, what direction is best for your home to face ? Does it matter ? Should a home face a certain direction to have the least damage to roofs in a hurricane ? Do the winds from hurricane hit TV from the same direction every time ?

Do people cover windows in prep for hurricanes or is TV too far inland to worry about such things.

Over the last 4 years, winds have not been an issue, thankfully. Our lanai faces West and the summer heat is intense. That's solved by dual pane "sliders", shades and ductless A/C. Were we to buy another house (my wife informs me that's not going to happen) it would have North/South alignment.
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 02-08-2024, 08:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Welcome

Quote:

Welcome, but alas, you are worried about a non issue. Hurricanes winds blow from two opposing directions. They cycle the first direction until the center passes over, then they go in the other. They of course are circular patterns.

As far as a home facing a particular direction, I would make sure my lanai faced east. It would have nothing to do with wind though.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-08-2024, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, look for what is called a "hip" roof, basically there are NO eves on this design which greatly limits the ability of the wind to get under the roof. Homes built after 2004(?) have the roofs actually attached to the house walls with special attachments. We have been here since 2013, when IRMA came through, there were a few tornados that spun off of the hurricane, several houses near us had some roof shingles blown off, I think the winds hit over 100 MPH.
As noted above the winds come from all directions so house orientation does not make a difference, we have a South facing lanai which works great for us.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Sage

Hip roofs have eaves. What hip roofs lack are gables. The roof slopes down everywhere. They have advantages, which may be reflected in your home owner's policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, look for what is called a "hip" roof, basically there are NO eves on this design which greatly limits the ability of the wind to get under the roof. Homes built after 2004(?) have the roofs actually attached to the house walls with special attachments. We have been here since 2013, when IRMA came through, there were a few tornados that spun off of the hurricane, several houses near us had some roof shingles blown off, I think the winds hit over 100 MPH.
As noted above the winds come from all directions so house orientation does not make a difference, we have a South facing lanai which works great for us.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:

No need to cover your windows during storms. One, we are too far inland. Two, building codes were enhanced 20 years ago. All windows are rated to withstand high winds. However, before a storm, you and your neighbors need to bring inside anything that the wind might pick up and blow around.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
OP, look for what is called a "hip" roof, basically there are NO eves on this design which greatly limits the ability of the wind to get under the roof.
Are most houses built in The Villages with hip roofs?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Hip roofs have eaves. What hip roofs lack are gables. The roof slopes down everywhere. They have advantages, which may be reflected in your home owner's policy.
Thank you for the correction, I used the wrong term. To another comment, yes most of the roofs are hip roofs, however there may be some older homes that are not.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
To another comment, yes most of the roofs are hip roofs, however there may be some older homes that are not.
Thanks!!! (I was looking at illustrations to try & figure it out & whether the illustrations were poor or not, I was having trouble.)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Hip Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Thanks!!! (I was looking at illustrations to try & figure it out & whether the illustrations were poor or not, I was having trouble.)
Older homes and even new ones here in the Villages have eaves. Designs have removed some of these and continued the roof as another pitched portion of the roof with no eave (maybe half the new homes) and this is called a hipped roof. Roofs then breathe through ridge vents and soffits instead, this eliminates some wind catching ability as the air streams over instead of directly into an attic through traditional side walled vents or box vents.

They are more costly, but demonstrate improvement in insulation and resistance to storm damage.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

Buy a new Villa house in the southern end for two reasons. They are built to the latest Florida building codes. Also buy in the middle of the block. The lots a very small and the house on either side of you is protection.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:42 PM
Sage

Most homes have a combination of hips, and gables in the front. I don't see many homes that have hips everywhere. I have a home with hips everywhere and I do get a discount on my home owner's policy.

Quote:
Thank you for the correction, I used the wrong term. To another comment, yes most of the roofs are hip roofs, however there may be some older homes that are not.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
No need to cover your windows during storms. One, we are too far inland. Two, building codes were enhanced 20 years ago. All windows are rated to withstand high winds. However, before a storm, you and your neighbors need to bring inside anything that the wind might pick up and blow around.
Might check those windows. They are not same windows that are used almost exclusively in more hurricane prone areas of Florida. Windows in TV do not need to be impact resistant or require a permanent storm shutter,
Old 02-08-2024, 05:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Are most houses built in The Villages with hip roofs?

Thanks!
No. Bet over 70% of the homes have gables.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Might check those windows. They are not same windows that are used almost exclusively in more hurricane prone areas of Florida. Windows in TV do not need to be impact resistant or require a permanent storm shutter,
Correct. Which is why everyone needs to pick up loose outdoor items, including chairs, grills, the sign on your lamp post, garden flags, lawn gnomes, etc.
I have never heard on a window being damaged by the wind.

Tags
home, direction, face, hurricane, damage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.