When will global warming return?

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2024, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Kansas City Chiefs - Wikipedia

Those Chiefs are going to be very cold tomorrow but maybe the Dolphins more so.

I was in minus 40 to 50 windchill around October-November of 1991 in the Twin Cities and still felt cold even though I was wearing a lot of my wardrobe. I Iooked like the Michelin Man.

But back to the subject. Cold will be here quite a bit especially in winter but the big worries are the temperatures of the seas and the movement of the sea life. Maine's lobster industry is thriving thanks to climate change — but it won't last if the waters continue to warm - CBS News

No matter how much poop is thrown at the wall as far as statistics are concerned the reality is there.
Maine lobster thriving due to fishing regulations.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Maine lobster thriving due to fishing regulations.
And yeah it’s not like Maine has always been famous for lobster or anything. It’s climate change. He’ll back in 1980 they probably only had those spiny Caribbean lobsters.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
And yeah it’s not like Maine has always been famous for lobster or anything. It’s climate change. He’ll back in 1980 they probably only had those spiny Caribbean lobsters.
If and when the water warms enough, maybe the spiny lobster will migrate to Maine and the Maine lobster will migrate to Newfoundland and Labrador? Who knows? Not me. I'm already well past my "best if sold by" date, and a bit beyond my expiration date.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Hmm, I wonder which warms the oceans more, underwater volcano eruptions or mankind? About 20 years ago, I happened upon a military website that had sonar and ice thickness readings at the poles. Interesting that according to the military, the ice at the poles was melting from underneath the ice due to the warming ocean water.
As for limiting child birth because "some" folks believe we are too crowded, I don't subscribe to the idea. I believe that family size should be left up to the individuals, not the government. I am sure that mankind will kill itself out way before climate change has a chance to evolve into an emergency situation.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Hmm, I wonder which warms the oceans more, underwater volcano eruptions or mankind? About 20 years ago, I happened upon a military website that had sonar and ice thickness readings at the poles. Interesting that according to the military, the ice at the poles was melting from underneath the ice due to the warming ocean water.
As for limiting child birth because "some" folks believe we are too crowded, I don't subscribe to the idea. I believe that family size should be left up to the individuals, not the government. I am sure that mankind will kill itself out way before climate change has a chance to evolve into an emergency situation.
And I agree....up to the point that those individuals turn to the government (meaning us taxpayers) to support the "family size" that they have chosen.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post

Even if climate change was caused by human activity (I don't believe it is), the entire effect can be undone by one small natural calamity. We could be in an ice age in 10 years or burn up from a comet.

As far as human population, it is sure to be a problem of underpopulation. I'm seeing young men more and more disaffected by the over the top woke feminism. In addition to that, with AI and robotics becoming more and more advanced, men will be able to satisfy their every whim with a $5000 robot in the not too distant future.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And I agree....up to the point that those individuals turn to the government (meaning us taxpayers) to support the "family size" that they have chosen.
Can of worms. I agree with your statement. However, if we are going to be forced to pay for millions of illegal aliens invading our country every year, to include sacrificing our children's education to make room for the illegals, then surely what we spend on welfare for legitimate citizens is acceptable. At least, until someone puts a stop to the open border welcome mat.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
True! Temporary hot and cold periods may occur, but earth's annual average temperatures continue to rise. And, regardless of comments to the contrary, the condition is being helped along by the various activities of 8+ billion human beings.
But, like a certain individual in the news lately likes to tell us, "not a lot of people know that."
I'm wondering...where do they stick the thermometer? And how often?

And how do they differentiate a temp. being taken as merely part of "weather" or due to "climate change"?
Old 01-13-2024, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I'm wondering...where do they stick the thermometer? And how often?

And how do they differentiate a temp. being taken as merely part of "weather" or due to "climate change"?
They stick the thermometer in a nice grass field. Then that grass field is paved with blacktop and they keep the thermometer there and say temps rose.

Anyhow, exactly zero of the climate catastrophes I've been warned about for the last 50 years has come true. Still waiting on the ice age I was promised from the 70s. Somehow they have all been stopped, presumably because they keep taking more and more of our money.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
They stick the thermometer in a nice grass field. Then that grass field is paved with blacktop and they keep the thermometer there and say temps rose.

Anyhow, exactly zero of the climate catastrophes I've been warned about for the last 50 years has come true. Still waiting on the ice age I was promised from the 70s. Somehow they have all been stopped, presumably because they keep taking more and more of our money.
I don't know what training or degree in science you might have but that is in its entirety a load of manure.
You chose to answer a serious question with your complete lack of knowledge on display.

There are standards for temperature taking. It is true that the landscape around the thermometer can impact the reading, and the amount of said impact can be determined and corrected. Of course certain elements then scream about how scientists are altering data when in fact they are correcting data.

As to how many of the catastrophes have occurred... maybe you'll be more specific about what you think you've been warned about vs what Fox News lied to you about what the science has predicted.

I am so tired of hearing about the ice age predicted in the 70s. If you want the truth you could read this article from the Bulletin of the American Meterological Society titled : THE MYTH OF THE 1970s GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS

In that article you might learn that of peer reviewed studies published between 1965 and 1979 only 10% predicted future cooling, 28 % took no stance and 62% predicted global warming.

Meanwhile 2023 was the hottest year on record ever. Not even close.
The hottest 10 years ever recorded are each of the last ten. No year before 2014 had a higher average temperature than every single year since 2014.

The oceans are the great pool for absorbing heat, The oceans trap over 90% of the energy of heating of the earth. Global sea temperatures are at their highest level ever and rising.

Climatology was in its infancy in the 1960s to 1980s. No supercomputers, no longer term models, no sets of satellite data.

I present two graphs. One is the land temperature data the other the ocean data. As predicted but more than predicted the upward curves continue.

There are people here who love to joke about how cold it is today as if weather equals climate. And spew "what about the dinosaurs" But the truth is the globe is heating rapidly. It is heating because of the changes to our atmosphere caused by human activity overwhelming involving fossil fuels.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	land.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	102199   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	ocean.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	102200  
Old 01-13-2024, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

^^^^^^
Lighten up, Francis!
Old 01-13-2024, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I don't know what training or degree in science you might have but that is in its entirety a load of manure.
You chose to answer a serious question with your complete lack of knowledge on display.

There are standards for temperature taking. It is true that the landscape around the thermometer can impact the reading, and the amount of said impact can be determined and corrected. Of course certain elements then scream about how scientists are altering data when in fact they are correcting data.

As to how many of the catastrophes have occurred... maybe you'll be more specific about what you think you've been warned about vs what Fox News lied to you about what the science has predicted.

I am so tired of hearing about the ice age predicted in the 70s. If you want the truth you could read this article from the Bulletin of the American Meterological Society titled : THE MYTH OF THE 1970s GLOBAL COOLING SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS

In that article you might learn that of peer reviewed studies published between 1965 and 1979 only 10% predicted future cooling, 28 % took no stance and 62% predicted global warming.

The hottest 10 years ever recorded are each of the last ten. No year before 2014 had a higher average temperature than every single year since 2014.

The oceans are the great pool for absorbing heat, The oceans trap over 90% of the energy of heating of the earth. Global sea temperatures are at their highest level ever and rising.

Climatology was in its infancy in the 1960s to 1980s. No supercomputers, no longer term models, no sets of satellite data.

I present two graphs. One is the land temperature data the other the ocean data. As predicted but more than predicted the upward curves continue.

There are people here who love to joke about how cold it is today as if weather equals climate. And spew "what about the dinosaurs" But the truth is the globe is heating rapidly. It is heating because of the changes to our atmosphere caused by human activity overwhelming involving fossil fuels.
Well said!
Old 01-13-2024, 09:36 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=ThirdOfFive;2290642]Iwhere do they stick the thermometer? And how often?

That's funny.
There are many of various kinds, and they monitor the globe. Even from space. And the data influx is constantly being monitored and recorded.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Your temperature graphs don't seem to cherry-pick as others that have been presented.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

None of this matters. Even if global warming is real and human caused there is currently not a viable replacement for fossil fuels. Every policy the government proposes is designed to drain our pockets and not really help the environment. That is the reason so many of us are skeptical and dismissive of the climate fear mongering. Regardless of improvement in data gathering, the end game is the same. Tax us to death and spread our wealth to politicians.

So you can all save your time with posting charts and graphs. None of us want a climate catastrophe and we all want a clean environment. But unless your suggestions actually help reduce pollution your debates will continue to fall on deaf ears.
Closed Thread

Tags
everglades, center, science, club, technology

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.