Red Sauce the restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran member
Default Red Sauce the restaurant

Now that the owner of Johnny Rocket has owned Red Sauce for a while, what is everyone's opinion? Good, bad, or indifferent. Is Kevin the chef still there? Thought he was part owner. We have been reluctant to go back since it was sold. An Italian restaurant owned by Johnny Rocket...not sure of that mix.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Gold member

You do know that Johnny Rockets is a franchise and from what I hear being run very successfully by the current family, which also manages Red Sauce. How can it be a questionable thing if they want to take over the old Athens location and bring some of their expertise there. Bonus, they're going to keep it Greek!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-05-2016, 12:06 PM

The owners of Red Sauce (and Johnny Rockets) are also opening a Greek restaurant in Spanish Springs. Just read about it in the Daily Sun. I believe the family is also of Greek ancestry.
Red Sauce is one of our favorite restaurants. We have never had a bad meal or bad service there. The prices are reasonable and the food is excellent.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Platinum member

We had dinner at Red Sauce last night, as we have many times before and after it changed hands. Food and service were very good as usual.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:18 AM

I like Red Sauce, love the mussels. Not a hamburger fan so don't go to Johnny Rockets, so I am hoping they do well in SS and I love Greek food. Wish them success!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Default Red sauce

We ate there for lunch and it was great. Reasonably priced and food was very good.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 PM

Hopefully they have changed the red sauce at red sauce.
Last two times I ate there it was so spicy that it was inedible. Nothing like the red sauce I have enjoyed for 72 years as an Italian-American.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

I eat at Red Sauce at least once a week and at Johnny Rockets at least 3 times a month. I like both of them.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:23 PM

Red Sauce now has some of the best tasting Italian food I have had since leaving Brooklyn & as good as the places I eat at when I go back a couple of times a year.
( excluding my wife)
Great service to

fugetabodit
Old 03-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Hopefully they have changed the red sauce at red sauce.
Last two times I ate there it was so spicy that it was inedible. Nothing like the red sauce I have enjoyed for 72 years as an Italian-American.
jdmiata: As you must know as an American of Italian ancestry discussion about red sauce and its proper ingredients is sacrosanct to us and can cause much heated debate about what is best including its proper name sauce or gravy. So go easy here

PS My Neopolitan parents both made the perfect sauce and I had them mentor my wife for many years. Its that important
Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
jdmiata: As you must know as an American of Italian ancestry discussion about red sauce and its proper ingredients is sacrosanct to us and can cause much heated debate about what is best including its proper name sauce or gravy. So go easy here

PS My Neopolitan parents both made the perfect sauce and I had them mentor my wife for many years. Its that important
Having said that, is it possible for you to post a recipe for your "gravey"? Probably not a drop of Italian blood in me, but love, love Italian food.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

I know six sisters with the same family recipe but somehow all their sauces tasted different.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:44 AM

We love Red Sauce! Didn't go before these folks took over, but everything we have had there was great! Their house salad dressing is wonderful. The pastas are delicious and well prepared. Would love them to do a fresh, in-house pizza crust (pretty sure it's packaged), but their pizza toppings are outstanding. Try the fig and goat cheese one. If they have mushroom soup on the lunch menu, we go. it's the best we have ever tasted. The guy who makes their salads is an artist they are fresh and wonderful. The "red sauce" is a little spicy for some, so they could offer a mild version, but we like it! Love it when the have pasta dished with peas, onions, prosciutto, and a white sauce (at lunch, on the dinner menu it's pink sauce). Managers are fabulous! Looking forward to the Greek restaurant in Spanish Springs! Hope it's as good as Red Sauce!

Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 PM

We ate at Red Sauce for the first time this last weekend. The service and food were spot on!! Loved the garlic knots!! We will return.
Closed Thread

Tags
owned, johnny, red, rocket, owner, restaurant, sauce, reluctant, back, part, italian, mix, sold, kevin, everyones, opinion, good, thought, chef, indifferent, bad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.