House built after July 2015 can't use attic TV antenna

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Gold member

Brighthouse does NOT have contracts! You can change or cancel at any time. If you put up a digital antenna you better get a real good one to get Orlando stations.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR46 View Post
There are a number of "outside" antennas that are smaller than the satellite dishes which are located all over. To me, the "eye sore" is the >$300 a month the crooks at the cable companies were charging me. If my antenna bothers you, feel free to pay my bill !!!
Will you getting as many stations? Did you look for a package with just locals and a few Sattelite channels at a lower price. I don't pay anywhere near that much with DirecTv. Don't get all the premium channels and only when they give me a discount for a time, then cancel the package and get another bargain. Will these mini-antennas pick up 4K or only HD?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You can pick up about 50 over-the-air stations from Orlando but a lot are Spanish and Religious stations. Nobody is transmitting 4K over-the-air yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Will you getting as many stations? Did you look for a package with just locals and a few Sattelite channels at a lower price. I don't pay anywhere near that much with DirecTv. Don't get all the premium channels and only when they give me a discount for a time, then cancel the package and get another bargain. Will these mini-antennas pick up 4K or only HD?
Old 12-31-2015, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR46 View Post
There are a number of "outside" antennas that are smaller than the satellite dishes which are located all over. To me, the "eye sore" is the >$300 a month the crooks at the cable companies were charging me. If my antenna bothers you, feel free to pay my bill !!!
Wow $64, with net and HBO, HD. What did you get for $300?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Wow $64, with net and HBO, HD. What did you get for $300?
What company do you use? I'm keeping notes so I will be prepared when I finally get to move to my TV home!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:36 PM
Gold member

Someone said there are three cable companies south of 466A. I know Brighthouse is there, I assume Comcast is there, but who is the third company?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
Someone said there are three cable companies south of 466A. I know Brighthouse is there, I assume Comcast is there, but who is the third company?

The third is Centurylink.....
Old 01-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Default roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
I wonder if this radiant barrier will decrease the life of the roof shingles. If the solar gain cannot penetrate through the roof sheathing it may concentrate the heat between the radiant barrier and the shingles. I see many dark colored shingles in TV, not the best for shingle longevity.
Wonder about this myself. Does anyone have information about this. I have thought about putting a barrier on the inside of the roof. This has been advertized in the Daily Sun from time to time
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Here are some helpful articles on the subject.....

Radiant Barriers: A Solution in Search of a Problem | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com
Radiant Barriers | My Florida Home Energy
FSEC-EN-15
Articles about Radiant Barriers - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel
Radiant barrier insulation may not recoup cost

So...the bottom line...is it worth it?

That is a multifaceted complex question. There are different types of radiant barriers. The fact is that they can save some energy cost. The better question is, can you recoup the cost?...especially in a new home with an R-30 insulation?
Would you be better served by installing more insulation instead perhaps up to an R-38?

Does it keep your attic cooler? Yes. As a person who crawls/walks in about 400 Villages attics every year, I do find that the attic is cooler. Is it worth the cost? What is the payback? At the risk of sounding rude, (and I am not a rude person at all), if you are 98 years old, it is pretty safe to say you will not recoup the cost. How long will you have your home? Would this upgrade be perceived as an enhancement when selling?

I have seen some radiant barriers not installed well and starting to fall. I have seen some installs that were awesome.

It is not an easy yes or no question. I'm sure this will not be the last word on the subject.

Frank
Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Default I cut the cord...with Cable

I too got "Fed Up" with the raising Cable Bills and I too "tried to get the Villages audio video guy to come out to install a TV antenna in the attic. He came out and told me that he could not do my attic installation due to running wires or something to that affect and would not install outside antenna. I found a $40 antenna....had it installed and now pick up 40+ channels and are "crystal" clear. Talk to the guy at "Marion Flea Mkt".... after getting one from him I found the "exact" antenna for $40. Works perfect !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "cut the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird22154 View Post
I too got "Fed Up" with the raising Cable Bills and I too "tried to get the Villages audio video guy to come out to install a TV antenna in the attic. He came out and told me that he could not do my attic installation due to running wires or something to that affect and would not install outside antenna. I found a $40 antenna....had it installed and now pick up 40+ channels and are "crystal" clear. Talk to the guy at "Marion Flea Mkt".... after getting one from him I found the "exact" antenna for $40. Works perfect !!
Did you do it yourself? What is the number of the Marion flea market guy(ken?)?? Or any other recommendations for an outside antenna installer? Want to try it before I go to dish.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 AM

Hey, what's the difference between an outdoor antenna (eyesore as you put it) and a satellite antenna? They are both "an eyesore"!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:45 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Radiant barriers/more insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Radient Barriers have been available on Villages homes for a long time as an option. My house was built in 2006 and has it. They do save energy cost. Not as much as good attic insulation, but does help.

I have been doing experiments and tests with garage insulation and have finally achieved a cooler in summer warmer in winter garage. I added 12 inches of insulation above, insulated doors, ceiling fans, and changed the lighting. Still got a few more tweaks but am almost there.
Just wondering.....do you get good cell phone reception. Many residents no longer have land phones.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
Hey, what's the difference between an outdoor antenna (eyesore as you put it) and a satellite antenna? They are both "an eyesore"!
Agree. There are some neighborhoods that are starting to look cluttered but I attribute that to where they came from or the fact they moved here and found it's more expensive then they thought so they are starting to count pennies.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Agree. There are some neighborhoods that are starting to look cluttered but I attribute that to where they came from or the fact they moved here and found it's more expensive then they thought so they are starting to count pennies.

I'm counting the pennies now and I haven't moved in yet. I will install an antenna inside the attic so as not to offend the non-penny counters & my wife.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, roof, ota, reception, barrier, radiant, attic, antenna, a/v, built, lined, brighthouse, village, july, foil, elevated, slightly, hat, covering, guy, exposure, perfect, mounted, unobstructed, southern

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.