2023 Yamaha gas golf cart - Battery Drain

Old 01-22-2024, 05:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The Yamaha owners manual states 22 PSI, if you are looking at the side of the tires, this is the MAX pressure, not the recommended pressure, and at 36 PSI your tires are going to wear out prematurely.
I looked at the side, saw 36. I guess i will take some air out.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,086 Times in 2,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The Yamaha owners manual states 22 PSI, if you are looking at the side of the tires, this is the MAX pressure, not the recommended pressure, and at 36 PSI your tires are going to wear out prematurely.
I was informed by a very knowledgeable mechanic that the 22 PSI number has been universally recommended by Yamaha since long before carts were used primarily on pavement. He told me that 22 PSI is ideal for golf course use when the cart is driven on turf or at lower speeds on a cart path. He recommended 30 PSI for Villages use where the carts have high speed gears and are primarily driven on pavement. He said ideally, 28 - 30 in the front tires and 32 - 34 in the rear. I keep our carts at 30 all the way around.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Bad Battery

We had a two year old battery on our cart that would charge, but not hold one. I disconnected the terminals and placed it on the charger. It would charge to 100%, but the green charged light would never come on on the charger. Eventually we just replaced it. Zero problems have occurred since the change.

If you ever do replace the battery, the easiest way is to remove the seat, remove the drive handle (there is a retaining clip), remove the panel seat panel (eight pop ins), remove the battery guard plate (2 bolts) and then pull it out. Suitable subs are sold at autozone.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 01-23-2024 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

My 2023 Yamaha green knob quick-release on the ground side vibrates loose.
Need to tighten it on occasion.

The cart has a 5-year warranty so just jump it and bring it there and ask for the service manager.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:20 AM
Default Could be the "Cheetah Speedometer" unit.

I had a similar problem with a 2023 Quietech.

The resolution was to fix a wiring error of the "Cheetah Speedometer" unit that resulted in the unit being powered on all the time. After the wiring error was fixed, about a year ago, by Villages Golf Cars, no further battery issues. I noticed after the fix, the speedometer takes a minute or so to activate (syncing with the GPS satellites) after the key switch is off for more than a few minutes, not a problem for me.

Hope this helps

Last edited by JWeiland; 01-23-2024 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:22 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

have this for 1/2 the price, sworks great.
Amazon.com
Old 01-24-2024, 04:48 AM

I have the exact same problem with my wife's 2023 QT. Also had the same problem with her 2020 QT that we had to sell because Village Golf Carts in Sumter and Brownwood could not fix the problem. Service manager at Sumter explained to me the same problem and suggested remedy. It makes sense, but I can't believe they don't upgrade the cheap batteries that Yamaha puts in their new carts. I have an EE degree so I understand everyone's suggestions, and I have checked for parasitic loads on both carts (found zero). VGC is apparently now selling all their new carts with a battery tender/maintainer included. A $50 battery tender/maintainer will fix the problem, but it's a pain trying to remember to plug it in.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:58 AM

Had the same problem. Had the shop tow it in. There was a short in the steering column
Old 01-24-2024, 06:58 AM

The same thing happened to us with our 2023 Yamaha cart. We were told by The Villages Golf Cart people that the speedometer with the GPS is what is draining the battery. We had a battery charger installed and now plug it in when not in use.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evfan View Post
I have a 2023 Yamaha gas golf cart bought from the Villages. I’ve had three recent instances in which the battery has drained and left me stranded. The cart does have those LED strip lights on the side that run whenever the cart is on. In each of the three cases, I’ve connected a small battery charger (not a battery tender) which charges it back up to full strength in about 24-48 hours using the low-power mode.

After this third time, I called the service department to schedule service. They mentioned to me that if I’m not driving it near daily for at least five miles, the cart doesn’t have enough time to fully recharge the battery. I live close to a championship course and just doing a round of 18 ( stop, start, stop, start )isn’t enough time to recharge the battery. Seems a bit strange to get such advice from the service department, as I’m picturing every cart barn at any club would just be full of carts sitting around on battery chargers every night.

It’s getting more difficult to be able to trust the cart won’t leave me stranded. I’m tempted to take it back and ask them to put those running lights on a [on/off] switch to minimize the drain.

What are others doing? Is this normal? How often do you connect your battery tender?

Thank you in advance. :-)
The LED lights are not enough to drain the battery, you probably have a bad connection somewhere (note ground) but I don't even take mine 5 miles and over 2 years have never had an issue with battery drain. Don't take it to Villages find an independent to look at it, as taking it to Villages just may be your problem with it.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
The LED lights are not enough to drain the battery, you probably have a bad connection somewhere (note ground) but I don't even take mine 5 miles and over 2 years have never had an issue with battery drain. Don't take it to Villages find an independent to look at it, as taking it to Villages just may be your problem with it.
I have had same problem three time. Previously NEVER had to recharge battery even for weeks. IF I wanted to plug in my cart I would have bought an electric vehicle. Seems like too common of a problem now. Could it be inferior batteries or a bad cell or electrical in speedometer. Poor excuse by the Villages
Old 01-24-2024, 08:48 AM

I have a Yamaha quiet tech 2023 also, and I got stuck on the 17th hole at Orange Blossom. The dealer said I let it sit too long to start...this after a full round of golf, and yes that is more than enough to keep the battery from draining on the 17th hole. There is a problem with these carts. I called Yamaha and they would not admit to anything and the dealer is clueless. I now carry a small jump box and turn off the speedometer display when playing golf, looking for possibilities.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I have a 2023 Yamaha gas golf cart bought from the Villages. I’ve had three recent instances in which the battery has drained and left me stranded. The cart does have those LED strip lights on the side that run whenever the cart is on. In each of the three cases, I’ve connected a small battery charger (not a battery tender) which charges it back up to full strength in about 24-48 hours using the low-power mode.

After this third time, I called the service department to schedule service. They mentioned to me that if I’m not driving it near daily for at least five miles, the cart doesn’t have enough time to fully recharge the battery. I live close to a championship course and just doing a round of 18 ( stop, start, stop, start )isn’t enough time to recharge the battery. Seems a bit strange to get such advice from the service department, as I’m picturing every cart barn at any club would just be full of carts sitting around on battery chargers every night.

It’s getting more difficult to be able to trust the cart won’t leave me stranded. I’m tempted to take it back and ask them to put those running lights on a [on/off] switch to minimize the drain.

What are others doing? Is this normal? How often do you connect your battery tender?

I had the same issue with my Yamaha gas cart, I took it in for service and they found that the speedometer on the steering wheel was draining the battery when the cart was turned off. They rewired it and now when I start my cart up it takes 20-30 seconds for the speedometer to calibrate and startup but I no longer have any battery issues.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:10 AM
Default Same issue with my 2003

What replacement battery should I be looking for? Make, model, etc. Want the best/most reliable available. Thx.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:

As others have said you can have the battery load tested to see if it's defective.

Not that this is completely relevant but I have a 2022 Suzuki king quad and the way they designed the new ones is that there is a load on the battery all the time for the electronics (I don't know anything about golf carts). the place that sold it to me told me to buy a trickle charger that you connect to the battery when you're not riding it. It was like 50 bucks and it works perfect. It has a cable that you attached to the battery and leave there so all you have to do is plug it in to the unit that plugs into the wall. it monitors the state of discharge of the battery and only charge when it needs to.

The main reason they told me to buy it is because in Minnesota, your ATV usually sits for longer period of times during the winter.

The one I have is a YUASA:
Amazon.com

Last edited by Switter; 01-24-2024 at 09:24 AM.

Tags
battery, cart, service, time, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.