Belts or No Belts?

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2021, 09:41 AM

Best investment ever but no good if you don't use them! Keep you safer inside the cart then thrown out and hurt or hit by a car or another cart. No brainer!
Old 10-05-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Faith over fear. Trust your god given driving skills. Seat Belts are about control.
Seriously? What happened to your god helping those who help themselves?

If you were joking, then you should have added a “lol” or something to indicate so.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Golly View Post
New villager here!

My husband and I ordered a new cart and have time to make some adjustments before the order is locked in.

Hubby doesn't want seat belts, he thinks they'll "get in the way" when on the course (where we wouldn't use them). But I, on the other hand, would like like to have retractible belts put in for safety when driving on the multi-modal paths.

Thoughts, experiences?
YOU smart, HUBBY not so much.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
New villager here!

My husband and I ordered a new cart and have time to make some adjustments before the order is locked in.

Hubby doesn't want seat belts, he thinks they'll "get in the way" when on the course (where we wouldn't use them). But I, on the other hand, would like like to have retractible belts put in for safety when driving on the multi-modal paths.

Thoughts, experiences?
To me seat belts are just like seat belts in a car, safety. Seat belts to me are to protect you from other drivers, not your bad driving. I look at it as I wear them in a car because I’m a good driver & I’m trying to protect myself from them. I think of of it as they’re the bad driver, & cars go 5 times faster. So I agree with your husband! My cart was always set for the legal speed limit for cart paths. I always stop dead still at stop signs before continuing. I use my turn signals, always & turn them off after I turn. Yes seat belts do save lives but I see more people who forget to turn their turn signals off after making their turn. To me that’s just as bad or worse than having seat belts. Just my opinion!
Old 10-05-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
Last week I had to swerve to avoid a serious collision with others who had stopped in the middle of the MM path to chat. I was the unlucky one who had to swerve on my left. My cart went up on the curb of the median and I was ejected from my golf cart. I sustained a compound fracture to my right ankle and other injuries to my upper body. I will not be able to walk or play golf until after the first of the year. Had I had the seatbelts, I would not have been thrown from the golf cart. Hindsight is 2020. I hope you decide to avoid the possibility of spending time in the hospital in excruciating pain and spend the extra $200 and buy the seatbelts. There are people out there who do not know to exit the path when chatting, texting or using the phone. Don’t be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
b

Don’t blame the carts that were stopped in the path. It was YOU who were not diligent in stopping in time to avoid an accident. Probably going way too fast and daydreaming. A cart could be stalled or a person could have fallen down in your path. YOU have to always be prepared to stop safely.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:45 PM

Yes to belts on golf carts! We have the retractable ones and use them all the time - except on the golf course. They are never in the way because the belt is retractable. We feel much safer when we have our belts on. Highly recommend.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:30 PM

You must get them. You have no idea how many people get killed in golf carts just in the Villages. They don’t get in the way. Do your car belts get in the way? No these won’t either.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

If you have a new cart put them on. One of us likes them the the other doesn’t.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:19 PM

get them and use them.. golf cart accidents are not pretty especially the way the drive here,
Old 10-05-2021, 06:47 PM

Definitely get the retractable seat belts. I've read many reports of people getting hurt or killed from hitting their head when they fell from or were ejected from a golf cart. Golf carts can be unstable & easily tip over, depending on speed & driving conditions.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:16 PM

I was in a golf cart on Canal Street and was hit by a car. The cart flipped over and slid for 10-15 feet. I survived with some heavy road rash and other injuries. The LEO investigator said the seat belt probably saved my life. I can also answer those who say you can always jump clear. It happens too fast to react and when it flips over on the driver's side there is no way you could simply jump out the passenger side. Wearing a retractable seat belt in a golf cart is a small inconvenience that saved my life. Don't listen to anybody unless they have been in an accident and can speak from experience. BTW the auto only bumped me into the curb. It does not take much to become a serious situation.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:50 AM

Definitely install seatbelts.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Default Yes, ask those who have fell out of their golf carts or their guests.

Stop at the police station or call and they will give you the statistics on accidents with or without. Safety first...convenience second.
Others don't drive as safe as you.

Quote:
New villager here!

Thoughts, experiences?
Old 10-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Belt them.

Oh, I thought you were talking about raising kids.

Never mind.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

I wouldn’t have a cart without belts. If you get hit by a car , another cart, or just run over a curb—you’re going to be thrown out of the cart!

My son was visiting last year and as we were crossing the service road at the light in front of Colony Cottage Rec Center, an elderly gentleman in another cart not paying attention turned right into us and t-boned our cart. He tipped our cart on about a 45-degree angle, almost flipping it completely over. My son and I would both have been thrown out of the cart had we not been belted in. Flying thru the air to land on the road without injury or worse? Not a chance.

You won’t live down here for very long without seeing similar accidents or cart and car drivers who should have caused an accident. No seat belts? You’re taking your life in your hands.

Tags
belts, thoughts, paths, multi-modal, hand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.