Dedicated circuit for electric golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,186 Times in 1,938 Posts
Question Dedicated circuit for electric golf cart

Do I need a dedicated circuit to charge my electric golf cart? I checked my garage outlets and the outlet I need to charge my golf cart is on the same circuit as the exterior outlet that is next to my front door. I was planning to use the outlet next to my front door to connect my Christmas lights that I want to string on my shrubs.

I think I recall someone telling me the electric carts must be charged on a dedicated circuit just like the heater/AC unit is on it's own circuit. Is that correct information?

Do I need to hire an electrician to rewire the outlet in my garage to charge my golf cart so it is on a dedicated circuit?

Thanks.

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-18-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,235 Times in 2,279 Posts

If I recall correctly, the dedicated circuit is rated for 20 amps, for golf cart charging. You can take a look at your golf cart charger and see what the requirements are. If it states 120 volt/15 amp, you should be able to use any of the garage receptacles, if it states 120/20 amp, then yes you need the dedicated circuit, and an electrician.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Do I need a dedicated circuit to charge my electric golf cart? I checked my garage outlets and the outlet I need to charge my golf cart is on the same circuit as the exterior outlet that is next to my front door. I was planning to use the outlet next to my front door to connect my Christmas lights that I want to string on my shrubs.

I think I recall someone telling me the electric carts must be charged on a dedicated circuit just like the heater/AC unit is on it's own circuit. Is that correct information?

Do I need to hire an electrician to rewire the outlet in my garage to charge my golf cart so it is on a dedicated circuit?

Thanks.
It should be on its own circuit. Down here they allow the same circuit to also power the garage door opener, if those are the only two items on it.

Last edited by photo1902; 11-18-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:35 PM

Check your circuit breaker for the lamp post. The only items on that circuit (I have a courtyard villa) at my home are the attic light and the garage door opener. I actually use that circuit without any problems at all to charge my Chevy Volt electric car!
Old 11-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Sage

I spoke to two electricians and both said it would be better if the golf cart charger was using its own circuit. I'll probably have that done.

I did check my lamp post outlet by running a 1600 Watt hair dryer for 5 minutes with all the lights on in the house. I don't know which circuit the lamp post is on but none of the breakers tripped with my hair dryer test.

I'm going to use the lamp post and the exterior outlet on the garage side of the house. Neither of those outlets are on the same circuit with the golf cart charger. I feel safer doing it this way until I can get an electrician to put the outlet I use to charge the golf cart on its own circuit.

To the person who charges an electric car on the same circuit as a couple of other items......that's great!!!

Thanks to all who responded to my thread. Your input is much appreciated.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

We have two electric carts, neither are on a dedicated circuit but both are on surge protectors. Star and ParCar, don't know about others.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have two electric carts, neither are on a dedicated circuit but both are on surge protectors. Star and ParCar, don't know about others.
Do you have the chargers plugged into the surge protector rather than directly into the outlet? My charger manual states not to use an extension cord. Is a surge protector not considered an extension cord. That may be a silly question, though.

Tags
circuit, dedicated, outlet, golf, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.