First time buyer - golf cart

Old 05-15-2024, 05:32 AM
Default First time buyer - golf cart

Hello all - this will be our 1st time buying a gas golf cart, so I guess need advice from the Retailer. Am I correct in assuming that we will get a better deal going outside TV? If so any recommendations please for a trustworthy dealer who would see us "Greenhorns" coming a mile off.... Thanks
Old 05-15-2024, 05:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,653 Times in 968 Posts

Labor costs the same at all the places
The margins are probably close, maybe off by a few basis points.

That leaves the quality of materials as the variable.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYSANDY View Post
Hello all - this will be our 1st time buying a gas golf cart, so I guess need advice from the Retailer. Am I correct in assuming that we will get a better deal going outside TV? If so any recommendations please for a trustworthy dealer who would see us "Greenhorns" coming a mile off.... Thanks
The place in Webster will save you thousands.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,203 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYSANDY View Post
Sunshine Golf Carts in Ocala. Bill, Strom or Tom. *(352) 355-3254‬

Great service, too. They'll come pick it up & bring it back to you. Usually the same day.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Botero Carts in Ocala ((352) 615-8882) will save you thousands. They have great carts, offer mobile service, and free pickup and delivery while under warranty. Fantastic folks there, both in sales and service!
Old 05-15-2024, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,366 Times in 2,318 Posts

Your other option would be to look at used and tell the seller that you want the golf cart inspected by one of the mobile cart services (at your own cost), there are several for sale on this site. This will give you the time to see if you want other options, etc. I would suggest staying with Yamaha as it appears to be the most popular brand. Also, there have been some problems reported (on this site) with the newer (2023) golf carts regarding the battery being drained.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,344 Posts

Are you full time? Then rent a cart for week at a time. Try a 2 seat gas and electric. Or a four seat front face or rear face. Then after deciding Gas or Electric, narrow down with your budget, service, and get better seats, because nobody drives 15 minutes in a cart anymore.

That said if you are part time, rent a cart when here, then you don’t have to deal with a cart sitting for endless amounts of time.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:26 PM
Default I bought a two new carts in 2018

I bought two new Yamaha gas carts from TV in 2018. I wish I had looked outside. I use Willie's golf cart garage that comes to my house for the yearly service and they are more reasonable than TV.

I would recommend adjustable seats - i.e. slide forward and back. Also - seat belts are a must. Many serious injuries occur when occupants get thrown from the cart in an accident. Added LED lights front and side that blink when turning are a good idea (in my opinion) for the added visibility and to be seen when turning. Auto-off turn signals are nice. Remember than you can't trust the turn signals as many carts do not have auto-off and people go down the road with a turn signal on.

I have ridden in 4-seater golf carts where the 2nd seat faces rearward. You can't really engage in conversation with the front seats. The biggest problem is when you go up the steep inclines in the tunnels when the seat faces backward.

I also recommend gas carts as TV is so large now that you can easily spend 30-45 minutes just driving to a golf course. I have friends that have electric and they have declined to go someplace with us because there is not enough charge in their cart - not often but it has happened. No place to charge them out in TV so you have to be at home to charge - can't charge while shopping. We "cart" a lot and get by on less than two tanks a month.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

If you want a gas yamaha cart, I would use Carts and Clubs in Ocala. I saved about $3000 over the TV golf Cart store price. I have heard good things about the Store in Webster also. Service is actually easier with places outside TV because they come and do the maintenance in your driveway so you don't need a loaner cart.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-15-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
If you want a gas yamaha cart, I would use Carts and Clubs in Ocala. I saved about $3000 over the TV golf Cart store price. I have heard good things about the Store in Webster also. Service is actually easier with places outside TV because they come and do the maintenance in your driveway so you don't need a loaner cart.
Carts and Clubs is no longer in business.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
Carts and Clubs is no longer in business.
We call that "fake news". They are still active on Facebook, send out weekly emails, and their website is up to date. I also just made an appointment with them last week for my yearly service in June..... Seems like they are very much there.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-15-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
We call that "fake news". They are still active on Facebook, send out weekly emails, and their website is up to date. I also just made an appointment with them last week for my yearly service in June..... Seems like they are very much there.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm at fault for spreading misinformation at not going through the effort to confirm.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:57 AM

Recommend Gas Cart---would not buy a 4 seater. If you have company and need one, just rent it.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:10 AM
Veteran member

I know most people recommend going outside the Villages to "save thousands". I didn't find that to be the case. I shopped around and by the time I added all the options I wanted at a few other places, they were about the same as Villages Golf Cars. People don't like Villages Golf Cars because they apparently are not helpful unless you bought your cart from them. I've had great service when I thought I had an issue with my cart.

Anyhow, they definitely aren't cheap and you could probably save some money but not much if you want the same quality after market stuff.

Mine is a 2023 and has not had any battery drain issues. I'm part time and my cart gets driven only 10 minutes each month. Starts up every time (knock on wood).
Old 05-16-2024, 05:41 AM
Veteran member

I would buy used first from a private buyer. Then as you drive around, you will realize certain things you want that may not be on that cart, or things that are on that cart that you realize you don't need or want. THEN, you can make a uniformed decision when it's time to buy new. BTW...don't forget to take the golf cart safety clinic.....it may just save your life.

Tags
time, cart, golf, recommendations, trustworthy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.