Golf Cart height for tunnels

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2019, 11:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO the tunnel at saddlebrook under BV is the lowest tunnel roof I’ve been through also. Jacked up par carts I bet have less than 2” clearance.
Wow, that is close! I bet you wouldn’t dare go to much right of center then. So far no one has said their cart roofs had hit tunnel ceilings yet. Maybe some people are just getting a little to excited then!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Wow, that is close! I bet you wouldn’t dare go to much right of center then. So far no one has said their cart roofs had hit tunnel ceilings yet. Maybe some people are just getting a little to excited then!
North of 466 I have to aim to the center in my 4 seater Yamaha with the raised roofline over the back passenger area. And yes, I have hit the tunnel ceiling with the standard 10 inch wheels. South of 466 is no problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2019, 05:30 PM

BTW, thanks John for adding the pictures as a bonus to your reply, much appreciated.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caljeff View Post
We have a lifted Crown electric golf cart. We have had it for two years and have not experienced any problems. It has been to all areas between 466A and just north of 466; no problems. The only cautionary procedure I employ is to not get very close to the left shoulder in the tunnels. I do not drive in the center of any tunnel; always to the right of center. Mine has a level roof; not raised as mentioned in an above post. In addition, due to fact that is electric it is not "tippy" at all. This is due to the fairly heavy low mounted battery pack which essentially lowers the COG.
At speed higher cart more subject to tip over when making defensive maneuver, hitting curve, or when hit from the side
Old 01-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone..... I am now riding around TV with it and also love the lifted Onward. There is one tunnel other then the ones crossing Buena Vista near the Lopez Golf Course that seems too low for the raised cart. That one tunnel crosses Buena Vista at the Saddlebrook Center near the Polo Fields. I haven’t tried crossing there yet but went to physically measure that tunnel and many other tunnels by car before venturing off by golf cart and that specific tunnel seems way too low for the lifted Onward. That tunnel’s roof is full of scrapes from golf carts hitting it at the entrances. Dionysos, have you tried crossing that tunnel with your wife’s cart yet? If the county would allow lifted cart to cross at that same street light at Saddlebrook then it would not be a problem. They allow golf cart crossing across a street light on El Camino between the communities of El Santiago and Alhambra. To get across the North side of Buena Vista I have to go all the way down to Mulberry Grove tunnel and I just make it through by hugging the center sidewalk and just barely scrape the roof at a few spots. The other tunnels between Mulberry Grove going South towards Glenview Country Club are also all too low for a raised cart if you want to cross to the Lopez side, the Savannah Center tunnel is fine. Right now, if I want to travel from the Southern tip of TV all the way North to Mulberry Grove I have to avoid that one tunnel by the Polo fields which means coming down Morse Blvd. and then cutting across toward the El Santiago Center. My other option to bypass the Saddlebrook tunnel is to head down Southern Trace road across the Polo Fields and cross CR466 at the intersection of 101 near The Villages High School and Public Library. This option is what I find to be the best choice, not much of a detour and can always pick-up something at “The Fresh Market” to eat. So far, so good. ALL other tunnels South of 466 including the two near the corner of 466 and Morse Blvd. are fine for my Club Car factory lifted cart. ENJOY everyone.

Last edited by GoBeau; 02-02-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeau View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone..... I am now riding around TV with it and also love the lifted Onward. There is one tunnel other then the ones crossing Buena Vista near the Lopez Golf Course that seems too low for the raised cart. That one tunnel crosses Buena Vista at the Saddlebrook Center near the Polo Fields. I haven’t tried crossing there yet but went to physically measure that tunnel and many other tunnels by car before venturing off by golf cart and that specific tunnel seems way too low for the lifted Onward. That tunnel’s roof is full of scrapes from golf carts hitting it at the entrances. Dionysos, have you tried crossing that tunnel with your wife’s cart yet? If the county would allow lifted cart to cross at that same street light at Saddlebrook then it would not be a problem. They allow golf cart crossing across a street light on El Camino between the communities of El Santiago and Alhambra. To get across the North side of Buena Vista I have to go all the way down to Mulberry Grove tunnel and I just make it through by hugging the center sidewalk and just barely scrape the roof at a few spots. The other tunnels between Mulberry Grove going South towards Glenview Country Club are also all too low for a raised cart if you want to cross to the Lopez side, the Savannah Center tunnel is fine. Right now, if I want to travel from the Southern tip of TV all the way North to Mulberry Grove I have to avoid that one tunnel by the Polo fields which means coming down Morse Blvd. and then cutting across toward the El Santiago Center. A detour yes but it’s manageable.
What's wrong with the tunnel by the library (Parr and 101) and then Wedgewood to the Polo Ridge Gate area? That's a way of avoiding that tunnel you can't use.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:25 AM

Sorry, I’m lost.... not sure where the library is but can see Wedgewood Lane. I drove that way yesterday by car. I actually turned on Southern Trace at the Saddlebrook intersection and drove down that road and then down Wedgewood Lane but I could not find a tunnel in that area that crosses CR 466. I thought there has to be one somewhere but could not find it! I saw a detailed map of the cart path system of The Villages at a sales office but the lady could not tell me where she got it from. It listed all the cart paths and all the tunnels by there number. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on such a map? Thanks again for the responses.

PS.... I think I found it..... tunnel crossing is at 101 and 466, correct? Looks like a newer tunnel, that should work. THANK YOU.

Last edited by GoBeau; 01-06-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeau View Post
Sorry, I’m lost.... not sure where the library is but can see Wedgewood Lane. I drove that way yesterday by car. I actually turned on Southern Trace at the Saddlebrook intersection and drove down that road and then down Wedgewood Lane but I could not find a tunnel in that area that crosses CR 466. I thought there has to be one somewhere but could not find it! I saw a detailed map of the cart path system of The Villages at a sales office but the lady could not tell me where she got it from. It listed all the cart paths and all the tunnels by there number. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on such a map? Thanks again for the responses.
At Wedgewood and 101 turn left(south) if you are facing west and there is a tunnel under 466. It comes up at the library and the fire house.

I don't use the map after being here full time for more than 15 years. I did when new here. Stop at any C.C. Pro Shop with your I.D. card and buy what we always called a $5 map ($4.50) with your 10 % off. LoL.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Thanks, I just update the post with all my latest findings in case anyone else has the same question.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycox8ball@gmail.com View Post
This is just "my opinion", but I believe a lifted cart is much more likely to tip over due to a higher center of gravity if a sudden evasive maneuver is made. Carts are "tippy" vehicles when they are stock, let alone lifted. My friends have a stock Yamaha Drive 4 place cart that scrapes the tunnels north of 466 if they don't stay right next to the center line of these tunnels. Their roof is higher in the back. The front clears, but the back scrapes if they're not careful.
My thoughts also
Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My first thought? why would you jack up golf cart for village purposes?
Image. Looks. **maybe easier to get in and out???**

Says to the world something about your anatomy.

personally I prefer "low and slow"...just sayin'...
Old 02-06-2020, 02:01 AM

If it's that close I think one inch lower may make a big difference in your case. I would go to GOLF CART TIRE SUPPLY'S website and order a set of tires with a one inch lower profile. That way you can get the result you want without changing the lift on the cart.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Because most would not admit they hit the tunnel. If you don’t say it it didn’t happen. Have witnessed more than a few scrapes, then they sharp turn to the middle and scare the crap out of the oncoming cart. Someone we know did so much damage the had the roof removed because north tunnels just wouldn’t fit with their lifted car.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.