Golf Cart Speedometer

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the input on this topic. I’m especially thankful to those who defended the question. I DO want to know how fast I’m going and especially with the “new” speed limits posted recently in TV. I will be getting one installed this week and will feel more comfortable than “just have to lighten up on the gas”.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I do not understand also.If flat out it go 23mph, I think you just have to lighten up on the gas. Do not think you will get a ticket. $75 will go a long way as a donation to a food pantry. Just my thoughts. Happy Easter
If the cart is "capable" of speeds faster than 20mph, it is not a question of getting a speeding ticket. You can get cited for driving an unregistered, illegally modified vehicle because if it can go faster than 20, it is no longer a golf cart under the law. Also, if you are so unfortunate to be in an accident in the unregistered vehicle, your insurance will not cover you even if you were not speeding at the time. There are numerous threads herein that cover this issue.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Sage

Not correct it's 25 mph I think

Florida Law:

320.01 Definitions, general.--As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:

(42) "Low-speed vehicle" means any four-wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour, including neighborhood electric vehicles. Low-speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. s. 571.500 and s. 316.2122.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Not correct it's 25 mph I think

Florida Law:

320.01 Definitions, general.--As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:

(42) "Low-speed vehicle" means any four-wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour, including neighborhood electric vehicles. Low-speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. s. 571.500 and s. 316.2122.
Jimbo, that’s the difference between a "golf cart” and an “LSV” (otherwise referred to as a “street legal cart”). A golf cart that is capable of exceeding 20 mph is considered an “LSV” and has to be registered (and insured) as such, which was the point that Indy was making.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Sage

If you read the whole section the 20mph only is when the cart is on a golf course.

Not when on the golf paths off the course and in that section there is not a mention to be registered.

That's my interpretation.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
If you read the whole section the 20mph only is when the cart is on a golf course.

Not when on the golf paths off the course and in that section there is not a mention to be registered.

The sheriff's office often holds seminars on this and there are many many previous threads affirming that in Florida a golf cart on the street that can exceed 20mph is no longer a golf cart. It is an illegally modified and unregistered vehicle. Local insurance agents have also confirmed that in the event of an accident, they will have your cart inspected and they will not pay if it is capable of exceeding the 20mph. The same will apply to the LSV, except that the limit is then 25mph.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Sorry, your interpretation is incorrect. Don’t forget that golf carts (and LSVs) in The Villages aren’t just used on golf courses and golf course cart paths. They travel on public roads and recreational trails. LSVs have to be registered (golf carts don’t). LSVs have to be insured (golf carts don’t...although it’s a very good idea). LSVs have additional safety equipment requirements. LSVs are allowed to go into roundabouts. Golf carts aren’t. LSVs are allowed to travel on and drive across streets that golf carts aren’t. The (legal) top speed for a golf cart is 20 mph. Any golf cart that is capable of exceeding that is supposed to be registered and insured as an LSV. That’s the truth.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Jim Cesaroni 352-259-4768 installed ours. He is a villager who lives near Chula Vista and it can be done very quickly. He has installed many speedometers and is very thorough. The speedometer has an odometer and a clock and a night light. Highly recommend him.

LW888

I would also recommend Jim Cesaroni. He has installed speedometers on both of our gas golf carts. The main reason we use the speedometer is for the odometer function which helps us plan on having to fill the gas tank. While Jim will install the speedometer in a visible spot on the steering wheel I have seen some installs done by others where the speedometer is mounted by the cup holders.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Who installs those Vector digital gauges? Those are nice, I want one with turn signal indicators...

The Villages Florida
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
Who installs those Vector digital gauges? Those are nice, I want one with turn signal indicators...
See post #6

Bill
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Sage

I was in a local golf cart dealer today to check out the price of a replacement turn signal thingamajigy and was talking with a service guy. He happened to mention that he just had a customer who was really pi**ed that his cart wouldn't go 40 MPH. The service guy said he only set it up to do 38 MPH!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.