radio for a yamaha golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Default radio for a yamaha golf cart

I'm looking for some ideas on a radio for a 2011 Yamaha 4 seat golf cart. It is not worth $490.00 to me to pay The Village golf carts for a radio & cd player.
Any ideas on doing it cheaper? I would like to buy a radio (am/fm)& 2 speakers & have someone wire & install it for me.
Any thoughts or ideas on this?
Does anyone in The Villages do this?
Did ANYONE have this after market work done?
Thanking You In Advance
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Default Radio for golf cart

I have a great alternative for you, but does not include am/fm. If you have an i-phone, there is a free app for Pandora Radio, which lets you list your favorite artists and songs. Install it on your phone and you will have instant access to your favorite music. All you'll need to do is log in when you want to use it. I then bought a little round speaker on Amazon for less than $30 and it gives incredible sound. It fits right in the cup holder of the cart and comes with a small cord that fits right into your phone. Set it in the cup holder, turn on your phone and there you go. I'm sure you can find the same type speaker at Best Buy. Good luck!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM

I went for more of a high-end, but definitely less expensive system than those all-in-one systems sold by local and internet cart stores. I already had an overhead tray installed in the front of my 2005 Yamaha G21. I installed a relatively inexpensive car radio/CD player that has iPod and USB inputs in the center of that and added two 6" round speakers on either side. Crutchfield sells universal faceplate kits to make a nice install. I do still want to put a piece of black plastic above it to finish it off -- but it's not high on my priority list right now.

It's quite easy to wire up by just running the positive and negative wires down the driver's side post and into one of the 12v wires in the dash tray. I used one that switches off when the ignition key is off.

I then added these Yamaha indoor/outdoor speakers ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW150W-2-Way-Outdoor-Speakers/dp/B0001VHARE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331223795&sr =1-2[/ame]) to the back posts behind each passenger's head. I also bolted them into the roof so anyone who tries to takes them out is going to get very frustrated-

I already had some of the components but for a decent, on-sale receiver from Best Buy and all 4 speakers, you're probably all in for under $200.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Bose soundlink wireless mobile speaker $299 at best buy,Lets you take the speaker anywhere great sound!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Default Another way to "radio-ize" your golf cart.

I have an overhead shelf in front and (key for this to work) an aux 12v outlet below the dash. So I bought a pair of usb-powered Altec-Lansing speakers and bolted them on top of the overhead shelf (for weather protection) cost was $18-20. Also bought for $4 a male-female usb extension cord that makes an easy wire connection to the aux. outlet.

The aux. outlet requires a usb adapter plug costs about $5. Finally added a Colby digital AM-FM radio ($15) that has a headphone jack that connects to the usb powered Altec Lansing speakers. So total cost for am-fm radio with a digital readout is about $44. I can also drive the speakers with my iPod iTouch if I want to do it that way.

The wiring from the speakers I ran down the post on passenger side of the wind-shield and used couple of black cable ties to secure it in position.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM

I have a Sirius boombox that fits perfectly in my Yamaha sweater basket behind the seat. (a bike cable lock keeps it secure) It has a removable face plate that plugs in to my house cradle, boat, and car.

Great volume and quality sound with a little remote too. It's powered by plugging it in to a 3 way power outlet that I wired up on my dash. Just run the satellite receiver antennae wire from the roof down the drain tube. You can also plug in a GPS and phone charger into the power strip.

Sirius has great 50's, 60's, 70's, classic rock, and just about any kind of music, sports, and news you may want to listen to. And no commercials !!!!!!

To receive Sirius you must pay a monthly subscription, plus by the face plate and boombox. It costs between $5-$14 a month.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Default My Easy Solution to Your Problem

With the help of a helpful neighbor, I recently installed a Shark Motorcycle Audio system in my Yamaha cart. It consist of a 100 watt amp, two waterproof 3 inch speakers and a remote. I plug in my iPod Nano as a music source. The unit was purchased online for $45. There is a 250 watt unit that has a built in FM tuner for $95. My 100 watt unit will blow you out of the cart at full volume. Just search the internet for Shark Motorcycle Audio.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

Check J. C . Whitney for radios and speakers.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Location: 1859 SAYBROOK WAY- WINIFRED VILLAGE. NORTH OF PALMER COUNTRY CLUB ON BUENA VISTA BLVD.
Send a message via ICQ to Prof

I have the console (2 years old) with built in speakers . $25.00 VG condition Burlwood. I may have radio as well.

Call carl cell) 609-221-0608
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We have one of those Sirius boombox receiver radios as well. I like it because I can use it in the Garage or auto. I look forward to using it and my i-pod touch in the golf cart as well when we make the move to TV.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Default radio for yamaha golf cart

I'm home in Wisconsin for a few months. I do not have an i phone & I was thinking of buying a radio & speakers @ Best Buy or wherever & have it installed in the cart.
Is there ANYONE in The Villages that does radio & speaker installation as a p.t. buisness?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.