Seat belts in golf carts

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Oneiric Oneiric is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 90
Thanks: 60
Thanked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I don't like where this conversation is headed. Secondly there are safety counter points to this issue
What does that mean?
  #17  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Cedwards38's Avatar
Cedwards38 Cedwards38 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Village of Sanibel
Posts: 1,787
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I agree that we all should have seat belts, as does the Property Owners Association, the Sumter County Sheriff's Office, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (see below). As I look at the statistics on golf cart accidents, it appears that nearly all, if not all golf cart fatalities occur when someone gets thrown from the cart. Seat belts would prevent that in most all incidents. If someone has statistical evidence to the contrary, I'd like to know about it.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html
__________________
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
― Mahatma Gandhi
  #18  
Old 02-24-2015, 11:52 AM
jpvillager jpvillager is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 164
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Think of not only of adults but children also who do not understand the danger of how easy it is to fall out.
  #19  
Old 02-24-2015, 02:45 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
What does that mean?
Hi Oneiric: What it means is that I am not interested in having the use of seat belts forced on me by authorities or people you ride with, say like if you have to double up when playing golf.

Secondly for those people who have been thrown from a cart what was the actual cause, speed, age, infirmity

Third unless you have a three point safety harness you can cause as much harm from that belt tied around your waist

fourth if you have two golf carts going 19 or over hit head on those seat belts are not going to prevent injuries.

Locals are placing pressure o the sheriff because originally the sheriffs were against this issue

People have talked about this issue since i arrived and now we have the POA pushing hard on this issue

so watch what you wish for because the police authorities have no jurisdiction on our multi-modal paths now but push a mandatory seat belt law for carts and viola government intervention

i have always carried complete insurance coverage on my golf cart
  #20  
Old 02-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Steve & Deanna Steve & Deanna is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We recently had our 2008 EZ GO gas serviced at the new Gordon's Garage in Sumter Landing and wanted seat belts installed. They advised me there was no where to anchor them other than in the fiberglass. Have any other EZ Go owners experienced this? Thank you.
  #21  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Challenger's Avatar
Challenger Challenger is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,189
Thanks: 48
Thanked 314 Times in 133 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Deanna View Post
We recently had our 2008 EZ GO gas serviced at the new Gordon's Garage in Sumter Landing and wanted seat belts installed. They advised me there was no where to anchor them other than in the fiberglass. Have any other EZ Go owners experienced this? Thank you.
Yes-- same answer at EZGO service center on 44 after installing upgrade seats
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke 1729-1797
  #22  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Cedwards38's Avatar
Cedwards38 Cedwards38 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Village of Sanibel
Posts: 1,787
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Anyone who rides in my golf cart is going to wear my seatbelt. That's because I care about your safety.
__________________
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
― Mahatma Gandhi
  #23  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Oneiric Oneiric is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 90
Thanks: 60
Thanked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Points well taken Rubicon, but don't you think if 3 point belts are not available, a seat belt of some type is better than nothing?
  #24  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:05 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,347
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,794 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi Oneiric: What it means is that I am not interested in having the use of seat belts forced on me by authorities or people you ride with, say like if you have to double up when playing golf.

Secondly for those people who have been thrown from a cart what was the actual cause, speed, age, infirmity

Third unless you have a three point safety harness you can cause as much harm from that belt tied around your waist

fourth if you have two golf carts going 19 or over hit head on those seat belts are not going to prevent injuries.

Locals are placing pressure o the sheriff because originally the sheriffs were against this issue

People have talked about this issue since i arrived and now we have the POA pushing hard on this issue

so watch what you wish for because the police authorities have no jurisdiction on our multi-modal paths now but push a mandatory seat belt law for carts and viola government intervention

i have always carried complete insurance coverage on my golf cart
And since you don't believe seat belts can save lives or mitigate injuries then you can leave them off your cart.....but I wonder, if you are ever injured seriously, would you be one of those that would sue the other guy? Nobody wears a seat belt in my cart on the golf course, when I leave the course and get in traffic, we both buckle up. If my passenger refuses, I expect him to get out of the cart and call for a ride. So far, no one has refused. But that's me.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #25  
Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 PM
SouthOfTheBorder's Avatar
SouthOfTheBorder SouthOfTheBorder is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 500
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

ALL new Columbia ParCar P5 models, come with "automotive type" three-point seat belts as standard equipment.

I have no connection with Parcar other than owning two of them.

Don
__________________
Look both ways before crossing.

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
  #26  
Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 PM
TNLAKEPANDA's Avatar
TNLAKEPANDA TNLAKEPANDA is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,293
Thanks: 170
Thanked 135 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Can anyone state what would be a good price for seat belts? We have them on the rear seat but not up front.
  #27  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 AM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
And since you don't believe seat belts can save lives or mitigate injuries then you can leave them off your cart.....but I wonder, if you are ever injured seriously, would you be one of those that would sue the other guy? Nobody wears a seat belt in my cart on the golf course, when I leave the course and get in traffic, we both buckle up. If my passenger refuses, I expect him to get out of the cart and call for a ride. So far, no one has refused. But that's me.
Hi JoMar: I appreciate and respect your candor but perhaps you have made some assumptions.

I am a retired insurance guy that probably was involved in the handling of more lawsuit nationwide then many attorneys. So to one of your questions the answer as to whether I would sue depends on the facts of the case. But let me explain that after handling that many lawsuits I deplore them and find most to be only a benefit to the beloved attorney who claims he would be honored to handle your claim.

Further let me explain that in many states if a person is injured not wearing their seat belts it is not a defense. I know I had more attorneys arguing that the guy would have never been thrown through the windshield if he wore his seat belt or other injuries and a judge returning "it doesn't matter"and has no relevance". I also have seen people who sustained injuries because they only had a seat belt around their waist

To answer your assumption. I do believe in seat belts and you can see why from my previous comments. In fact I tried to have them installed in my cart but the repair guy said because of the type of seat in my cart it would be very difficult. I intend to pursue that goal.

What I did say in my post was that I did not want this subject to move from people believing a personal need for seat belts to a mandatory call for seat belts. In other words I did not want to see cops patrolling the multi-modal pathways issuing tickets because golf cart occupants didn't buckle up. God knows police have a big enough job now on the public streets and investigating break-ins, etc.

You made it clear that no one enters your cart without wearing a seat belt. Again if it isn't a three point belt system you can injure yourself . Again you impose your will on others and others may not share your concern.

Finally let me tell you about the trucker who had his rear axle knocked away by a driver causing his vehicle to go over a hill and roll.
One would assume that fortunately he was wearing his seat belt and was not thrown from the vehicle. However in this case the seat was the cause of his paralysis (quad) as he was found hanging from it. I had spent many hours in conference on how much money to set aside for this guy's care under Workers Compensation because he need 24/7 care.

My years in this business made me compassionate and determined for more safety and many a case brought me to tears seeing the pain and suffering of people such as this truck driver.

Personal Best Regards:
  #28  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Mleeja's Avatar
Mleeja Mleeja is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Santiago
Posts: 1,612
Thanks: 2
Thanked 411 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Can anyone state what would be a good price for seat belts? We have them on the rear seat but not up front.
Buggies Unlimited has retractable belt sets for approximately $100.00. That would be a good starting point. Of course if you have someone install this will be extra.
  #29  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,347
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,794 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi JoMar: I appreciate and respect your candor but perhaps you have made some assumptions.

I am a retired insurance guy that probably was involved in the handling of more lawsuit nationwide then many attorneys. So to one of your questions the answer as to whether I would sue depends on the facts of the case. But let me explain that after handling that many lawsuits I deplore them and find most to be only a benefit to the beloved attorney who claims he would be honored to handle your claim.

Further let me explain that in many states if a person is injured not wearing their seat belts it is not a defense. I know I had more attorneys arguing that the guy would have never been thrown through the windshield if he wore his seat belt or other injuries and a judge returning "it doesn't matter"and has no relevance". I also have seen people who sustained injuries because they only had a seat belt around their waist

To answer your assumption. I do believe in seat belts and you can see why from my previous comments. In fact I tried to have them installed in my cart but the repair guy said because of the type of seat in my cart it would be very difficult. I intend to pursue that goal.

What I did say in my post was that I did not want this subject to move from people believing a personal need for seat belts to a mandatory call for seat belts. In other words I did not want to see cops patrolling the multi-modal pathways issuing tickets because golf cart occupants didn't buckle up. God knows police have a big enough job now on the public streets and investigating break-ins, etc.

You made it clear that no one enters your cart without wearing a seat belt. Again if it isn't a three point belt system you can injure yourself . Again you impose your will on others and others may not share your concern.

Finally let me tell you about the trucker who had his rear axle knocked away by a driver causing his vehicle to go over a hill and roll.
One would assume that fortunately he was wearing his seat belt and was not thrown from the vehicle. However in this case the seat was the cause of his paralysis (quad) as he was found hanging from it. I had spent many hours in conference on how much money to set aside for this guy's care under Workers Compensation because he need 24/7 care.

My years in this business made me compassionate and determined for more safety and many a case brought me to tears seeing the pain and suffering of people such as this truck driver.

Personal Best Regards:
Hi Rubicon,

Thanks for expanding on your post. My "Sue" comment was based on some personal experience. Without going into too much detail I know of a couple accidents that would have resulted in no significant injuries if they had been wearing belts in their car. They were both thrown from their cars which resulted in the injuries, if they had their belts they would have remained in the car and most likely suffered slight to no injuries. It was determined that the accident was determined to be their fault but the sued the driver of the car they hit because their lawyer was able to convince a jury that the other driver should have anticipated the accident. Because the injuries were severe, they received significant compensation and this in a state that has a seat belt law. As long as we have a legal system that believes wearing a belt would not have relevance I guess we encourage the continuing practice and the continuing litigation.

As far as my imposing my will on others, you bet. Since I am the responsible person I make the rules. If I swerve to miss anything, the person falls out and is injured, do you think he will absolve me of any responsibility...I don't. Take away my liability and I would agree with you, but since nobody can do that, they wear belts when with me.

I agree with you, I don't want more regulation, authorities making decisions for me and some kind of enforcement on the MMP. I believe the way we avoid that is to take responsibility to decrease the negative data. Until we do that, the authorities can use the negative data to create enforcement. Personal opinion, they don't enforce much of the cart specific existing laws. I have yet to see a cart pulled over for speeding on the streets much less the MMP so doubtful that, even if they had a law on belts, enforcement won't happen. But do a rolling stop in a cart.......

Have a great day.

JoMar
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #30  
Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Mleeja's Avatar
Mleeja Mleeja is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Santiago
Posts: 1,612
Thanks: 2
Thanked 411 Times in 152 Posts
Default

When I first started reading this thread I would be in the non seat belt camp. However, I have changed my mind. I agree that if you are in an accident just a lap belt may not prevent you from being injured. Then I weigh the likelyhood of an accident verus the likelyhood of being ejected from the cart during an evasive move (to avoid another cart, pedestrian, etc.). To me the latter is much more likely to happen. I do not want my passenge being ejected and a lap belt will prevent this. Seatbelts will be in my new cart along with my current cart being retrofitted.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.