speed vs insurance

Old 09-20-2023, 08:01 AM

Your golf cart post is mindless and useless. My comment is about your "statement" about government giving to someone by taking it away from someone else - really! We all pay taxes, except for the billionaires. Our taxes are used for a number of purposes to help the country as a whole. So, you had two mindless/useless posts in one.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:02 AM

Speed …… these are not go carts. I used to walk / ride my bike on the modal paths. It got way to dangerous. People fly up and down the paths and make it unsafe for pedestrians and cyclists. If you want to race , a go cart track may suit you. Slow down ,enjoy the beautiful vistas and stay off your phones. We’ll all be safe .

Old 09-20-2023, 08:06 AM
Default Dangerous driving

The law is the law but I see many who changes their govenner for speeds around 30. These carts were engineered for 20. At speeds exceeding that the cart becomes very unstable and your risk of major injury increases

My question is why do these speeders think they need this extra speed. Save your life and leave 10 minutes earlier!

Old 09-20-2023, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
I was an insurance broker for forty years in Canada. There is nothing in your policy about your max speed being 20 mph. The only way they would know you were speeding is if a policeman was standing there with a radar gun when you crashed. What are the odds. Setting your speed a few miles over the limit has no effect on your insurance, in my opinion.
I think that you may have missed a point. The law is not about how fast a cart was going at the time of the accident, it's defines a golf cart as a vehicle not CAPABLE of exceeding 20 mph.

If you insure your golf cart as a golf cart and it is capable of going over 20 mph, you have deceived to the insurance company.

A golf cart that is capable of exceeding 20 mph is defined as a Low Speed Vehicle. It cannot be capable of exceeding 25 mph. It must be registered and insured as an LSV and must have certain additional safety equipment that golf carts are not required to have.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Your golf cart post is mindless and useless. My comment is about your "statement" about government giving to someone by taking it away from someone else - really! We all pay taxes, except for the billionaires. Our taxes are used for a number of purposes to help the country as a whole. So, you had two mindless/useless posts in one.
Without knowing which post you are so upset about, this post is pretty useless itself.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 09-20-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
......... My comment is about your "statement" about government giving to someone by taking it away from someone else - really! We all pay taxes, except for the billionaires. Our taxes are used for a number of purposes to help the country as a whole.
Want to bet? How about this------you pay the taxes of the average billionaire and they'll be happy to pay yours. After all, most of them pay more taxes in 1 year than you earned in a lifetime.
The average billionaire paid 8.2% of their income in federal income tax, which is criticized as "low". But much of their income is in capital gains, and many of their deductions related to venture capital, which produces jobs for the rest of us. So, let's say a billionaire earns $100 million in a year---that's $8,200,000 in tax----more than the average lifetime earning of most of us. So much for the "fair share' idiocy.

Also, the top 1% of income earners, those over $540,000/year earn 21% of all income but pay 40% of all income tax---how is that fair??????

Old 09-20-2023, 08:45 AM

Electric carts can go 30 out of the box

Old 09-20-2023, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes View Post
Electric carts can go 30 out of the box
Mine didn't come from a box, it came from a dealer who configured it to be 20mph.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 09-20-2023, 08:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

TOTV must have a particularly interesting cross-section of TV residents.

I've only been here 2 years, but drive my golf to a Championship Course most every day.

I can count on one hand, the number of golf carts I can pass on an MMP, if I'm going 22 mph.

Apparently only the s l o w & l a w a b i d i n g post on TOTV..

All those scofflaws that have carts that go 24 mph - 30 mph, must be posting somewhere else.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well I’m sure if you have a fender bender in your golf cart you won’t have time to reset your Governor back to factory specks. A car manufacturer doesn’t set the Governor to go highway speeds. Just don’t touch the speed of your cart. But I know some people will & I’m sure your Ins. Company won’t either! Just leave your fingers off the speed, you probably won’t save 5 or 10 mins.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

I've only been here 2 years, but drive my golf to a Championship Course most every day.

I can count on one hand, the number of golf carts I can pass on an MMP, if I'm going 22 mph.

All those scofflaws that have carts that go 24 mph - 30 mph, must be posting somewhere else.
I couldn't reproduce that count, since my cart can't go 22. However, on the occasions that I do pass someone going 15, I contend it is not because they are "law abiding" but because they have the driving skills of a dead hippopotamus. I think we all have encountered those cart drivers at one time or another.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

Some have posted in the past... and they have been laughed at for confessing on a public forum. I imagine there are others who know better than to make such an admission.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 09-20-2023, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I know that golf carts are limited by law to 20mph. We all know that it is easy to change the governor and allow it to go faster.

Every time this comes up someone chirps up and states that changing the governor will invalidate your insurance if you are involved in a wreck. Does anyone have any ACTUAL proof that this has ever happened?

The fact that my cart can go a little over 20 does not mean I do go or - if involved in a mishap - was going over 20. My car will go over 100 but as long as I stay at or below the stated limit I'm legal. How would the insurance company know if an owner changed the governor? Who is to say it did not come from the factory as it currently sits?

Bottom line is I'm inclined to believe this is an old wives tale.
A better question is, "Why would ANYONE WANT to drive a golf car over 20 MPH?" There are MANY reasons NOT to drive over 20. Firstly, we are mostly ALL retired so we have plenty of time to commute ANYWHERE we want to go. I personally think that speeding in automobiles and golf carts TODAY has something (?) to do with the time when the roads were mostly empty due to COVID. I blame insufficient Police presence for not bringing speeders back into compliance. Many people also complain about automobiles speeding on the major Village roads such as Morse.
......Secondly as to golf cart speed enhancement.........golf carts (ICE ones) have a HIGH center of gravity and are built for low-speed use on a golf course. So, when the speed is jacked up there is more likelihood of rolling over or sliding around a corner and hitting a car or other vehicle. Increasing idle/governor causes the engine to run more gasoline through it causing both more wear and more pollution, due to no catalytic converter - like in a car. Also, it increases the noise from the golf cart, some of which are very noisy.
........So, in general, I see golf cart speed enhancement as a FOOL'S errant - there are many disadvantages compared to the supposed advantage of going 5 MPH faster. If people have a "Tom Cruise need for speed" they can buy an ATV or a micro midget race car.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybgood View Post
I received a ticket going 25 mph a few years back. I had to go to court but was acquitted so the court cost was 300 bucks plus one moth @ 50 bucks to the probation office Btw, if I didn’t get acquitted it was 6 month probation and 1800 dollars plus 50 bucks a month for 6 months to the probation officer
I could easily catch 3 speeders going past my house every day - maybe more. They are easy to spot because they are louder than the under 20 MPH vehicle. I am impressed with this post because it shows a SERIOUS deterrence capability. I wonder WHY (?) so many don't COMPLY?
........To try to answer my own question - maybe there just is inadequate Police presence?

Old 09-20-2023, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraines View Post
There are many golf carts in TV that go over 20 mph. I have never seen anyone ticketed for speeding. Mine goes 20 and I am constantly being passed by faster carts. Where are you all going in such a hurry? If you need to go that fast, use your car. By the way, yesterday I had my left turn signal on and someone passed me on the left. Does anyone here really even know how to drive?
I think that people drive badly now AFTER COVID. I am NOT sure why?

Tags
governor, insurance, involved, car, stated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.