Yamaha Battery Carts

Old 04-27-2024, 06:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,070 Times in 546 Posts
Default Electric Carts Are Junk

The electric carts they sell now are junk. They need serious upgrades in technology before I would buy one. A one way trip from Moultrie Creek to Lopez isn’t that desirable. I’ll wait till a cart can make it both ways 100% of the time.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 04-27-2024, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I agree, let the EV gang hang themselves. I wouldn’t own one nor an EV car. Too expensive, too expensive for the long run (how much to replace the lithium battery in 8 years?), and mileage isn’t all that great in the winter months. I picked up an electric loaner while I needed an oil change, and belt replacement and the charge dial went down over 1/2 just going 16 miles. Newer cart, battery was 3/4 full, and I was worried I wouldn’t make it back to the shop.
The new lithium batteries are fantastic. They come with a 5 year warranty, and are designed to last 3000 cycles. (Lithium batteries are rated based on cycles, not years).

On my Evolution D5 Ranger with a 205ah battery, I can go 65 miles on a cycle, so that equates to a designed life of 195,000 miles. Even if I drive 5,000 miles per year that equates to 39 years! I'll be ready for a new cart before I ever have to replace the battery based on life expectancy.

Even if I had an early failure, say at 10 years, a new battery is currently $3K and the price is dropping every year. I'm pretty sure I'll save $3K in gas, oil changes, and clutch replacements over that 10 years.

The Evolution is $10K less than a comparable Star EV or Club Car and is loaded with features. Also $5K-$7K less than a Yamaha Drive 2 (my last cart), so there's enough savings to already purchase a new battery before I even drive it.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:16 AM

A public course near my house in Wisconsin uses Yamaha electric carts with lead acid batteries. They are awesome. Almost completely silent, much quieter than my EZGO electric carts. Good suspension. Yamaha offers an electric cart with the same 105AH RoyPow battery I used to retrofit my 2011 EZGO. They have a 38 mile range. I get 60 miles. Obviously a difference in the drive train. They need to improve before it's practical for The Villages.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:11 AM

I bought a Yamaha Battery cart from Villages Discount Golf Carts back in January and I have the large lithium battery and it get 80+ miles on a full charge. We went from above 466 down to Saw Grass and back around 3 hrs. and still had 46% left on the charge.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I believe that the 80% number is for the total USA. For SOME (?) unknown reason The Villages has a greater % of gas golf carts.
As it's been explained, multiple times, it's because golf course buy carts that will be used for a round of golf, and on rare occasions, two rounds. TV buys carts that will be used for PTVs. Completely different uses with completely different millage requirements...

But please, feel free to ignore that information, once again...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-27-2024, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Probably because most of the country uses them for only golf and we use them for regular transportation.
OK, so then WE (The Villagers) are MISUSING the golf cart for regular transportation. Which is probably why so many golf cart owners have jacked up the accelerator to give a top speed of over 20 MPH, which the engine and suspensions are NOT designed for. Maybe THAT and driver drinking are the reason for so many golf cart accidents. Also, the GAS engine carts have a high center of gravity (for the golf course) which leads to rollovers and poor cornering.
........Maybe some cart manufacturer should provide a model with a low center of gravity (E-cart) that is specifically designed for regular transportation that still has some golf course use capability. It might have a low range and a high range gearing.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
The electric carts they sell now are junk. They need serious upgrades in technology before I would buy one. A one way trip from Moultrie Creek to Lopez isn’t that desirable. I’ll wait till a cart can make it both ways 100% of the time.
Have you even looked at the latest carts? I had a Yamaha Drive 2 for a number years with upgraded seats and all the goodies. I now have the Evolution D5 Ranger with the upgraded 205ah battery. The seats are more comfortable than my Yamaha El Tigre seats, the ride is better, I have self canceling turn signals, high and low beams, an included soundbar with great sound, 4 forward facing seats (and the cart is only about 13" longer than a standard cart), an adjustable steering column, and display that looks like what you get on a car. All for $11K brand new (the cart is $9.5K with the smaller standard battery).

I live as far north as you can get in The Villages - just off hwy 42 near the VA. I have driven all the way to Southern Oaks (~23 miles), played 18, went home and had 25% battery remaining.

This cart is superior in every way to my Yamaha Drive 2. Ride, quality, features, and quietness.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:01 AM
Gold member

Look at an Atlas cart...210ah(90 miles) for $15K. Far better value than a Yamaha. A few dealers in the area.

Current Golf Cart Models | Atlas Carts
Old 05-01-2024, 12:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
More like 50 miles, but who would want to drive 50 miles in a gas or electric cart?
Had relatives visiting last week. We went to LSL from my village south of the turnpike. Leisurely 15 mile drive in our gas Yamaha golf cart each way plus we made a couple of side trips there and back. Not that hard to start racking up miles in the cart when you're showing people around.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Look at an Atlas cart...210ah(90 miles) for $15K. Far better value than a Yamaha. A few dealers in the area.

Current Golf Cart Models | Atlas Carts
4 forward facing seats is what changed me from atlas to evolution. If I only needed 2 seats I'd be driving an atlas. Both carts are similarly equipped, evolution a little cheaper and 4 forward, atlas a little prettier.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
OK, so then WE (The Villagers) are MISUSING the golf cart for regular transportation. Which is probably why so many golf cart owners have jacked up the accelerator to give a top speed of over 20 MPH, which the engine and suspensions are NOT designed for. Maybe THAT and driver drinking are the reason for so many golf cart accidents. Also, the GAS engine carts have a high center of gravity (for the golf course) which leads to rollovers and poor cornering.
........Maybe some cart manufacturer should provide a model with a low center of gravity (E-cart) that is specifically designed for regular transportation that still has some golf course use capability. It might have a low range and a high range gearing.
You know what I like about your posts? You always have all the answers.

True Wonkism at work here. You're a miracle worker. I can't believe the whole world doesn't just shut up and do exactly everything you do or think is best because clearly that is the right way to do any and everything. The rest of us mere mortals are simply inexperienced and uneducated non-Mensa-member fools with zero common sense or understanding of world and human behaviors.

I'm especially impressed because, as you have claimed, you don't have a golf car, haven't had one in many years, and a couple years ago you went for a ride on a friend's golf car. How you have such a complete and sophisticated knowledge on such a varied use topic without any first hand experience is truly remarkable and highly impressive.

I appreciate you are here and am thankful that you are willing to impart your vast knowledge to the plebeian masses. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
You know what I like about your posts? You always have all the answers.

True Wonkism at work here. You're a miracle worker. I can't believe the whole world doesn't just shut up and do exactly everything you do or think is best because clearly that is the right way to do any and everything. The rest of us mere mortals are simply inexperienced and uneducated non-Mensa-member fools with zero common sense or understanding of world and human behaviors.

I'm especially impressed because, as you have claimed, you don't have a golf car, haven't had one in many years, and a couple years ago you went for a ride on a friend's golf car. How you have such a complete and sophisticated knowledge on such a varied use topic without any first hand experience is truly remarkable and highly impressive.

I appreciate you are here and am thankful that you are willing to impart your vast knowledge to the plebeian masses. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
The new lithium batteries are fantastic. They come with a 5 year warranty, and are designed to last 3000 cycles. (Lithium batteries are rated based on cycles, not years).

On my Evolution D5 Ranger with a 205ah battery, I can go 65 miles on a cycle, so that equates to a designed life of 195,000 miles. Even if I drive 5,000 miles per year that equates to 39 years! I'll be ready for a new cart before I ever have to replace the battery based on life expectancy.

Even if I had an early failure, say at 10 years, a new battery is currently $3K and the price is dropping every year. I'm pretty sure I'll save $3K in gas, oil changes, and clutch replacements over that 10 years.

The Evolution is $10K less than a comparable Star EV or Club Car and is loaded with features. Also $5K-$7K less than a Yamaha Drive 2 (my last cart), so there's enough savings to already purchase a new battery before I even drive it.
Price on anything will NOT drop in 10 years. Name one thing has has dropped from 10 years ago? I be waiting for answer.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Price on anything will NOT drop in 10 years. Name one thing has has dropped from 10 years ago? I be waiting for answer.
TVs and computers have dropped drastically over time. I think you can buy a public official for less now too....
Old 05-02-2024, 08:17 AM
Sage

The price drop on lithium-ion batteries is dramatic; about 5x in 10 years. See link below. Many areas of technology have experienced huge drops in price or the price has stayed about the same but the capability has increased. Computer are a prime example. Internet access is another. For example, I paid $45 per month for 1.2 megabits per second of internet access in 1998. In todays dollars that would be around $90. Today I pay $30 per month for 200 megabits per second. A 500x improve in price/performance in 25 years. Google is your friend.

Lithium-Ion Battery Pack Prices Hit Record Low of $139/kWh | BloombergNEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post

Last edited by biker1; 05-02-2024 at 08:23 AM.

Tags
cart, yamaha, battery, carts, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.