Barking dog

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Barking dog

Well I have to admit I am afraid of dogs..but just four kinds big ones and little ones live ones and dead ones. so the $10 Barkoff at Walmart sounds like a good investment for me. Do yout think it would work on snakes? I am afraid of snakes but only four kinds............
Old 03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Well I have to admit I am afraid of dogs..but just four kinds big ones and little ones live ones and dead ones. so the $10 Barkoff at Walmart sounds like a good investment for me. Do yout think it would work on snakes? I am afraid of snakes but only four kinds............
Boy, I'm glad you didn't ask if it would work on a loquacious spouse! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Smile Barking dog

Sky, you too huh!:
Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Sky, you too huh!:
I'll bet not as much as you though! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM

I have two dogs and they like to go out. They are not barkers unless provoked by other dogs barking or a gecko making a getaway. On those occasions when they do bark I am outside in a flash to put an end to it because I once lived next to a barking dog whose owners left it outside 24/7 and I know what it is like.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I had a problem with a barking dog in the home behind mine. I simply put my speakers in the window turned up the volume and played a recording of a dog barking. It only took a couple times and the problem was solved.
This is what I call a solution!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM

I live in a wonderful neighborhood in the Village of Duval. We have a "Barker" in our back yard...problem is...it's not a dog!! Sitting in my neighbor's lanai one evening, we heard it the first time. We all swore it was coming from my lanai. Went to my house and it sounded like it was from my neighbor's lanai! Evidently it is some type of either frog or lizard that is living in-between our yards! Never saw it...but we sure hear it! Sounds exactly like a high pitched
yippy little dog's bark! We have a standing joke when we hear it...Please keep your dog quiet!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM

The Villages Deed Compliance officer will speak to the owner of the barking dog followign a complaint. Second complaint and the animal control pays a visit. No one needs to listen to a barking dog and the fault lies with the owner, pure and simple. Have mercy!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Default Barking dog...

well, I live in a Designer with a wall behind me....and my next door neighbor complains that when I am GONE he can hear my little one barking....SO, now I feel guilty going away! This is with all windows and doors closed---
(but, the neighbor on the other side doesn't hear anything at all). Some people just love to complain about anything---as my dog is NEVER barking early in the morning or in the evening...just maybe in the afternoon when I go out....
Lynn
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
i live in a cyv on a golf course and my dog doesnt bark. i think its the breed not the location you should worry about.
I think Redtail is correct. We lived in a CYV for three years and I never heard barking dogs at all. Never. We backed on a golf course and our dogs never barked at golfers.

Now we have a house on a golf course and our dogs totally ignore the golfers. Unless the golfer leaves the course and comes close to our house. Then the dog barks to alert me, and that is her job.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I had a problem with a barking dog in the home behind mine. I simply put my speakers in the window turned up the volume and played a recording of a dog barking. It only took a couple times and the problem was solved.
LMAO!!!!!!!!! You are too much!!!! Tit for tat and bark for bark...LOL

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy View Post
well, I live in a Designer with a wall behind me....and my next door neighbor complains that when I am GONE he can hear my little one barking....SO, now I feel guilty going away! This is with all windows and doors closed---
(but, the neighbor on the other side doesn't hear anything at all). Some people just love to complain about anything---as my dog is NEVER barking early in the morning or in the evening...just maybe in the afternoon when I go out....
Lynn
Okay ditsyfitzy, I have several ideas you can try. Your dog is either bored, or scared when you are away.

Boredom: try using a "Kong" which is a hard rubber chewy thingy you can get at Petco or PetSmart. Put inside something you dog loves but can't eat too fast, like chicken babyfood or peanut butter, or even a hard treat like a biscuit can be wedged inside. The dog will work and work on the Kong and it will relieve boredom. This Kong toy is especially adored by lickers like Yorkies.

Or, you can hide kibble in different places around the house and the dog will be on a search-and-find mission while you are gone. Long after the kibble has been eaten it leaves a scent mark and your dog will revisit those locations again and again searching. (Be sure to put doggie in a bathroom with the door closed while you are hiding the kibble so he/she can't see you hide the stuff).

Fear or Restlessness: There is a new invention called Thundershirt or Anxiety Wrap and it simply is a stretchy material made into a sort of sweater that closes with velcro. The compression on the nervous system calms the dog. It works on my yappy littly poodle very well. http://www.thundershirt.com/

Or, you can get another companion for your dog -- yes, go to the shelter and find another dog. I did this for my little Yorkie when he was young. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Default Barking dog...

Thanks!
I actually HAVE one of those thunder-shirts.....can't tell if it works or not--as I am not HOME when she has it on!

Unfortunately, my Yorkie, Hillary Rodham--isn't at all interested in food--(can you believe it?) so the treat thing and the KONG doesn't work with her....

She is a rescue--and had four owners before me ...and all of this before she was one year old---I have had her for two years now--and we have made great strides. I WISH I had trained her to go in a crate when I left the house---but, I didn't.....and it would be cruel to try that now.

And, yes--I'd love to rescue another---just kind of waiting for the right time....and the right rescue to come along. She is very much the ALPHA DOG--(as you can imagine by her name )...and so, I need one that is more subdued....

Thanks!
Lynn
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM

people just don't care about others...I wonder if the tables were turn how they would feel.....dogs are becoming a problem because of their owers they just dont care......
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Take heed, wannabe villagers.

Dear ones who have yet to visit....... You need to know, and I don't think this will change, that there are a LOT of doggies and Republicans here.

Some are nicer than others.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.