physical and financial help with 10 kittens

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Default physical and financial help with 10 kittens

So, I have been feeding these 10 feral kittens at Lake Sumter Winn Dixie for the last week. Last night I actually saw the mother of the kittens I got there last year (the Siamese looking ones)-she is also Siamese. Anyway, I really need to get them fixed so they don't multiply so I don't end up feeding 100 cats. I have 1 trap and it will be costing me about $50-$60 a month to feed them as there are so many. Plus about $40 per cat to get them fixed. Is anyone willing to help financially, or with helping to trap, bring them to Cares Center in Lake Panasoffkee, or keeping them in a cage in their garage or lanai for 3 days after surgery, or continued feeding after release? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!! PM me if interested. I can only do this if I get enough volunteers. There are so many of them that this is overwhelming.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Animal rescue, animal shelter, I don't know what it is called in the area, should be called. It's noble of you to want to help and you should be applauded, but these cats need homes. The shelters have the ability to find forever homes and not forcing these cats a life of living on the street.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Gold member

Last edited by obxgal; 10-07-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:07 PM

obxgal: Guess you should know what you are talking about before you put your little fingers on your keyboard. Ferals are a "vacuum". Once you remove a group, another comes in to take their territory. I have done this enough and worked with enough rescue groups to know this. Ignorance may be bliss, but I can't turn my back on these animals and close my eyes and wish the problem would go away. I hope when you need help, your friends don't say "hmm, just ignore her and she will go away"...
Old 10-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Sage

ouch!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Gold member

lovinganimals wrote "obxgal: Guess you should know what you are talking about before you put your little fingers on your keyboard. Ferals are a "vacuum". Once you remove a group, another comes in to take their territory. I have done this enough and worked with enough rescue groups to know this. Ignorance may be bliss, but I can't turn my back on these animals and close my eyes and wish the problem would go away. I hope when you need help, your friends don't say "hmm, just ignore her and she will go away"

Forgive me for my ignorance for not being well versed on this subject. You won't have to worry about me putting my fingers to any more of your threads. If ignorance is bliss, I wonder what you call rudeness?? Have a good day.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
So, I have been feeding these 10 feral kittens at Lake Sumter Winn Dixie for the last week. Last night I actually saw the mother of the kittens I got there last year (the Siamese looking ones)-she is also Siamese. Anyway, I really need to get them fixed so they don't multiply so I don't end up feeding 100 cats. I have 1 trap and it will be costing me about $50-$60 a month to feed them as there are so many. Plus about $40 per cat to get them fixed. Is anyone willing to help financially, or with helping to trap, bring them to Cares Center in Lake Panasoffkee, or keeping them in a cage in their garage or lanai for 3 days after surgery, or continued feeding after release? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!! PM me if interested. I can only do this if I get enough volunteers. There are so many of them that this is overwhelming.
I'm not in The Villages right now to offer help.
However please PM me your address and I'll send a cheque.
I applaud your unselfish efforts.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

OBXgal, try to look at the bigger picture. Lovinganimals is trying to alleviate suffering not clean up a particular area. She is to be applauded for her unselfishness.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
Is there a particular vet you use to have them spayed/neutered?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:35 PM

Please PM me with your address and I will send a check. I have 2- 17 year old males cats that are easily stressed and I can not bring in "strangers" to the house. God Bless you for your unselfishness.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Maybe if you quite feeding them they might move to a different area. Feeding them just encourages them to say here.
Whatever gave you the idea that these kittens would leave the area if they weren't fed???
That ain't gonna happen!
In addition, to stop feeding these kittens is cruel.
If no one will give them a home, they have to be neutered and released where they are found.

From your post, I assume you are serious with your "suggestion."
I also assume that you have never had a pet and do not particularly care about animals.
Your "suggestion" is inhumane and thoughtless.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 AM
Veteran member

lovinganimals: Thank you so much for doing this, you are a wonderful caring person. I too love animals (cats in particular), I am overseas in Africa on an Embassy compound and feed all the stray cats here (about 10) I feed all the cats at every 3rd world country I am assigned to even though Management tells me I can't (what are they going to do to me, send me home...I can only hope). I have to have the food shipped in in the State Dept pouch every month since there is no pet food or Vets here (so I can't get them neutered/spayed). So I especially applaud you for taking this on. Of course, since I'm not in FL I can't help you catch them, but would be happy to help financially. Please PM me and give me an address to send the check to? Christina
Old 10-07-2014, 06:12 AM

PM me...I'll also help out. It's a life and death daily struggle for these feral cats and fixing them is key. Is there a catch, fix and release program nearby? Siamese cats are unusually smart and would make wonderful pets..too bad I already have two kitties already.
We saved a number over the yeArs and still keep I touch now and then with some of their owners who love them.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 AM

I will be calling you with regard to dropping off a check and how else I can help. I also have a trap and carrier that you can borrow. It is my hope that some of these kittens can find homes but if that is not the case, they still need help. Too bad there weren't more people like lovinganimals out there. A suggestion: villagers skip a dinner out this week and send lovinganimals a check to have one of these kittens neutered and vaccinated. You'll be surprised how good it will make you feel.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 AM

Wow, thank you, everyone! Sorry I got a little nasty in the last post but it really irks me when people suggest I turn my back. That is how we get into these messes. If everyone would fix their cats as soon as possible, when they escape they won't reproduce (not to mention when people abandon them-ERRRR!) Anyway, Many people have offered to help so on my profile I will list my address and personal email. Thank you all for your generosity of money and time!! Pet Lover's Rescue said they will asses a kitten to see if its able to go to their foster homes to be socialized and adopted, or if its feral. If so, it will go to a friend's farm to live. I was told to trap and bring them as I get them, since I only have 1 trap. After the kittens are gone, there are 3 or 4 adults that can be TNR'd, unless I can get them to take those to the farm also. I caught one last night and they are definitely not adoptable. If not for the cage separating us, I would have been a bloody mess! Since all these kittens and cats will have to be taken to a vet by Pet Lover's Rescue, might it be nice to give them some money for helping? I don't mind trapping and feeding, but the big job is socializing and getting them vet care. Especially since one of the kittens is limping badly. But if anyone decides to give money to the rescue, possibly mention it is for the kittens from Winn Dixie in Lake Sumter Landing that I (Chris) am trapping so they know. That way they know we are willing to help and not just pushing cats off on them? When I did cat rescue in the North, I hated when people would call me up and say "I have wild cats here, come take them". It all costs money and its a lot of time and work to socialize them and get them healthy. By the way, someone asked: Cares Center in Lake Panasoffkee has low cost surgery. $25 per male cat and $30 per female cat. Then rabies and flea/worming medication is extra-they put it on if you'd like. Total if you do that is about $70-90. Not sure exactly but in that range. Thank you everyone!!!! Your kindness warms me!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.