Does anyone else feed the feral black cats in the Village of Rio Grande

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Keep feeding the cats. You are a kind person to be so attentive to these animals that have done nothing, other than being born wild, to deserve being destroyed for the "greater good". These animals have every right to exist just as all wild animals do. They are all God's creatures, are they not?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Keep feeding the cats. You are a kind person to be so attentive to these animals that have done nothing, other than being born wild, to deserve being destroyed for the "greater good". These animals have every right to exist just as all wild animals do. They are all God's creatures, are they not?
Thank you outlaw. I am very sorry I even started this thread. It upsets me that there is so much hatred towards feral cats from people that live in the villages. These cats didn't ask for this life. They have it because people dumped off their cats when they were no longer wanted. FYI, my neighbors know I feed these three cats. We have no mice, rats or snakes as other villages have. I have a bird feeder which these cats could care less about. They just come for their one meal and disappear for the day. I will be trapping ASAP with the help of lovinganimals so they can be neutered and receive a rabies shot and I will continue to feed them.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:56 PM

You're a good person Kitty Litter and you're absolutely right.......these feral cats have a right to live as much as any other wild animal. Keep doing what you're doing. I wish I lived nearby to help you with feeding them.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Kindness is NEVER a Bad Thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Here in TV, we all live in such close proximity to our neighbors. Are these cats being fed near homes? If so, is the potential effect on neighbors' property being taken into consideration?

(My question is not intended to offend or to start a debate. It is just something I wonder about whenever I read these posts about feeding feral cats. I hope to get an answer. That's all. In fact, I tried to talk myself out of even asking. But curiosity got the best of me.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Litter View Post
Thank you outlaw. I am very sorry I even started this thread. It upsets me that there is so much hatred towards feral cats from people that live in the villages. These cats didn't ask for this life. They have it because people dumped off their cats when they were no longer wanted. FYI, my neighbors know I feed these three cats. We have no mice, rats or snakes as other villages have. I have a bird feeder which these cats could care less about. They just come for their one meal and disappear for the day. I will be trapping ASAP with the help of lovinganimals so they can be neutered and receive a rabies shot and I will continue to feed them.
To Laurie2: What is the possible potential effect on neighbors' property?
And please don't tell me that a cat might pee in their yard.

To Kitty Litter: I'm glad you did post that thread.
Besides having a good heart, your post and that of others,
made others aware of some things they never knew ,
thought about or even considered.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 AM

I have just one more thing to say and then I've said my peace
I hear all the time that cats kill birds and other wildlife.
Who are we to decide if the birds live, or the cats live. Let nature take its course, that is why there is a chain. Just because we domesticated cats doesn't mean we should kill them if they kill other wildlife. If that were the case we should kill lions and tigers and leopards and................
(notice I didn't make this a question, but a statement-no debate, just my opinion)
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
I have just one more thing to say and then I've said my peace
I hear all the time that cats kill birds and other wildlife.
Who are we to decide if the birds live, or the cats live. Let nature take its course, that is why there is a chain. Just because we domesticated cats doesn't mean we should kill them if they kill other wildlife. If that were the case we should kill lions and tigers and leopards and................
(notice I didn't make this a question, but a statement-no debate, just my opinion)
Then let Nature take it's course- as you say, and do not interfere with what is wild.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Then we shouldn't feed the birds and squirrels either!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

A cat is a hunting machine. (from the internet)

"Start with the eyes. Cats see as well as humans in daylight and six times better than people in poor light. This is because they can open up their pupils much larger than humans can, enhancing their eyes’ ability to collect light. Cats have the highest developed binocular vision of all carnivores, meaning they have great depth perception. And they can see in color -- in contrast to dogs, which have limited color vision.

The cat’s jaw and teeth are also specially adapted for killing. Their shorter muzzles mean they can deliver a stronger and wider bite, and their canine teeth are exceptionally strong. One of their premolars also has an interesting add-on -- a special spur called an anterior cusp, which allows it to crush bones.

The sharp ridges on a cat’s tongue that make it feel rough and sandpaper-like are called papillae. These little spines are made of keratin, the same stuff that’s in hair and fingernails, and come in handy whether a cat is grooming itself or stripping flesh off of the bones of a bird or mouse.

A cat’s ears are particularly good at catching the high-pitched frequencies made by rodents. The rounded shape of the ear funnels even the softest or highest of sounds inward, allowing them to pick up minute traces of prey.

Their whiskers can also pick up tiny vibrations that help them zero in on an unsuspecting meal. When a cat has captured a small animal, it will usually extend its whiskers in front of its mouth to sense where best to deliver a lethal bite.

The cat’s hunting prowess also owes much to its nature as both a sprinter and acrobat. Cat spines are very flexible, allowing them to put more muscles in gear when running and attain faster speeds. They can rotate half of their spine about 180 degrees and jump many times their own height. Because cats’ collar bones are not attached to the shoulder joint and their shoulderblades swing along with their legs, they have a broader range of movement and can also slip through small spaces.

Because a cat’s claws are retractable and kept sheathed while walking, they maintain their sharpness. The pads and fur on a cat’s feet also muffle its steps, helping it stalk prey silently. Cats can also rotate their wrists, unlike dogs, giving their paws a greater dexterity and allowing for a broad range of movements like grasping, climbing and swiping."

A truly feral cat is a wild animal. They have adapted as hunters and do quite well at it. Catch and neuter sounds like a good idea, but feeding them may not be as important as some think.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
A cat is a hunting machine. (from the internet)

"Start with the eyes. Cats see as well as humans in daylight and six times better than people in poor light. This is because they can open up their pupils much larger than humans can, enhancing their eyes’ ability to collect light. Cats have the highest developed binocular vision of all carnivores, meaning they have great depth perception. And they can see in color -- in contrast to dogs, which have limited color vision.

The cat’s jaw and teeth are also specially adapted for killing. Their shorter muzzles mean they can deliver a stronger and wider bite, and their canine teeth are exceptionally strong. One of their premolars also has an interesting add-on -- a special spur called an anterior cusp, which allows it to crush bones.

The sharp ridges on a cat’s tongue that make it feel rough and sandpaper-like are called papillae. These little spines are made of keratin, the same stuff that’s in hair and fingernails, and come in handy whether a cat is grooming itself or stripping flesh off of the bones of a bird or mouse.

A cat’s ears are particularly good at catching the high-pitched frequencies made by rodents. The rounded shape of the ear funnels even the softest or highest of sounds inward, allowing them to pick up minute traces of prey.

Their whiskers can also pick up tiny vibrations that help them zero in on an unsuspecting meal. When a cat has captured a small animal, it will usually extend its whiskers in front of its mouth to sense where best to deliver a lethal bite.

The cat’s hunting prowess also owes much to its nature as both a sprinter and acrobat. Cat spines are very flexible, allowing them to put more muscles in gear when running and attain faster speeds. They can rotate half of their spine about 180 degrees and jump many times their own height. Because cats’ collar bones are not attached to the shoulder joint and their shoulderblades swing along with their legs, they have a broader range of movement and can also slip through small spaces.

Because a cat’s claws are retractable and kept sheathed while walking, they maintain their sharpness. The pads and fur on a cat’s feet also muffle its steps, helping it stalk prey silently. Cats can also rotate their wrists, unlike dogs, giving their paws a greater dexterity and allowing for a broad range of movements like grasping, climbing and swiping."

A truly feral cat is a wild animal. They have adapted as hunters and do quite well at it. Catch and neuter sounds like a good idea, but feeding them may not be as important as some think.
Wow - I might have to reconsider letting my three cats (especially the one that was born feral) sleep under the covers every night��
Old 01-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Wow - I might have to reconsider letting my three cats (especially the one that was born feral) sleep under the covers every night��
Based on my cat's sleeping ability I think you're safe. [emoji6]
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422028161640.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	47201  
Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post

Kitty Litter and Lovinganimals are two kind and compassionate people.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Don't be sorry. Too many threads get derailed just like this. I'll be happy to swing by and feed them for you. PM me if you need help.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Default Agree to disagree

Ok, can we all agree that we have debated this topic enough. Please let's put this thread to bed. Thank you for all your opinions and especially the comments of those that see my point of view. I wish I could look the other way but I can't.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
What part of the above do you not understand??? (Or WANT to understand)

The cats are obviously capable of killing off birds and other species faster than these prey can reproduce at normal rates within nature.

Who are you to decide that these cats should take over and the other species can just become extinct????
Since when does something you find on the internet become the final answer? I think that there are many different opinions on this subject, and the "What part of... do you not understand" and "Who are you..." sarcastic comments are rude and in violation of the forum guidelines.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Since when does something you find on the internet become the final answer? I think that there are many different opinions on this subject, and the "What part of... do you not understand" and "Who are you..." sarcastic comments are rude and in violation of the forum guidelines.
The Forida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is hardly just "something you find on internet" concerning feral cats in Florida.
"FWC’s Division of Law Enforcement is responsible for protecting Florida’s natural resources, including fish, wildlife and the environment, while providing a safe atmosphere for residents and visitors to recreate. This is in keeping with the Division’s core missions.

FWC officers have full police powers and statewide jurisdiction. They patrol rural, wilderness and inshore and offshore areas and are often the sole law enforcement presence in many remote parts of the state.

The Division of Law Enforcement has cooperative agreements with the National Marine Fisheries Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Officers are also cross-deputized to enforce federal marine fisheries and wildlife laws, thus ensuring state and federal consistency in resource-protection efforts.
Division of Law Enforcement Sections......"
What we do

Cats: Free Ranging and Feral

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.