Does anyone else feed the feral black cats in the Village of Rio Grande

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,932 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
The Forida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is hardly just "something you find on internet" concerning feral cats in Florida.
"FWC’s Division of Law Enforcement is responsible for protecting Florida’s natural resources, including fish, wildlife and the environment, while providing a safe atmosphere for residents and visitors to recreate. This is in keeping with the Division’s core missions.

FWC officers have full police powers and statewide jurisdiction. They patrol rural, wilderness and inshore and offshore areas and are often the sole law enforcement presence in many remote parts of the state.

The Division of Law Enforcement has cooperative agreements with the National Marine Fisheries Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Officers are also cross-deputized to enforce federal marine fisheries and wildlife laws, thus ensuring state and federal consistency in resource-protection efforts.
Division of Law Enforcement Sections......"
What we do

Cats: Free Ranging and Feral

My main point was the rudeness.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Then we shouldn't feed the birds and squirrels either!
I believe we should not do so, Cyn.

We fed the Goldfinches in our suburb up North- we started as an act of compassion during a brutal icy winter.
Eventually, they became year round visitors - and dependent upon us. They were at the feeder continually in droves. They were PRETTY and seeing them made my day. I came to rather consider them my "pets'.
We had lots of Morning Doves as well, who rummaged through what dropped to the ground. I assumed they cleaned up the leftovers, as i had very little clean up to attend to.

What I did not know until much later was that the feeder was also attracting and feeding voles and field mice. Soon they built colonies.
We realized it the second Spring, once the snow melted.

We discovered that over our entire corner lot, the sod was riddled with tunnels along which the grass died and that voles/mice tunnels had undermined our front sidewalk. With the spring rains, it began to crack and tilt. It cost $$$$ to restore the sod and concrete damage and was a major undertaking.
The voles would NOT have taken up residence, would NOT have multiplied their numbers to such a degree if there was no steady FOOD source- that is, No bird feeder.

Feeding the birds was not the responsible idea I thought it was. I messed with their natural pattern, basically because by doing so, it made ME FEEL better.
In reality, what began as an act of compassion, was really more a self indulgence that upset the natural order.

There was ample forest preserve nearby and a heavily wooded championship golf course across the street. A source of natural food for them to eat…. and ample shelter…. to allow Nature to take it's course.
( I should also mention the feeder became a target for hawks to easily pick off the finches. Horrifying.)

Here in The Villages, I truly believe there is ample enough green area and forage food for the critters who live here.

And my story of misguided intention is WHY I do not favor leaving food out in the open.
We were fortunate enough that what we had were voles… they could easily have been rats instead.

And, we did not trap and relocate the overpopulation of vermin… we eliminated the steady food source, then eradicated them…. even though they too, 'had a right to live'.
--------------
I think the draw here (and I can empathize) is that these animals are 'kitties' and are cute.
If they were not quite so cuddly looking or were downright ugly, would people feel as compelled to be food providers?

The concern I had, prompting me to post, was not only the regularly supplied food station.

If one wants to personally pay for trap, health check, neuter and release I have no problem. This endeavor of course would carry the additional responsibility of paying for treatment of those trapped animals found with parasites or worse, disease- IF they can be saved, AND paying for euthanasia for those animals trapped, then found suffering beyond any help.

BUT- the PETA guidelines are, DON'T feed them unless you intend to trap within a short period of time.

Feeding feral cats for a YEAR facilitates more litters being born than would occur if the cats foraged on their own.
A lean food source IS Nature's birth control.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 01-24-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM

I lived in New Smyrna and they have a bad feral cat problem over 800 cats
Old 01-24-2015, 02:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Then let Nature take it's course- as you say, and do not interfere with what is wild.
Let's not lose sight of what is wild in the animal world. House cats are not wild animals., regardless of where they were born or where they live. We are speaking about what we call a house cat, not a "wild" cat on the savanna (or wherever) . . . a domesticated animal -- a companion animal.

When we refer to a feral cat, that is simply a term given to a homeless house cat usually born without any human contact whatsoever.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Platinum member

Okay, maybe it is more politically correct for me to refer to feral cats as a non-native species… rather than wildlife.
To my mind, an animal born in the wild is wild.

I have been researching online in an effort to broaden my own perspective, but am mostly finding that researchers are beginning to reevaluate some efforts of TNR.

Here's one:

http://joomla.wildlife.org/documents/cats_tnr.pdf

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 01-24-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 AM

Uptown Girl, it is quite clear to me how you feel about feral/stray cats. In a previous reply to me you said you did not say all feral cats should be euthanized. However, you appear to be searching out every article on the internet that supports that position. I'm glad not everyone agrees with you.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Litter View Post
Uptown Girl, it is quite clear to me how you feel about feral/stray cats. In a previous reply to me you said you did not say all feral cats should be euthanized. However, you appear to be searching out every article on the internet that supports that position. I'm glad not everyone agrees with you.
Kitty, you are stretching my intent again.
I'm not playing games here, nor deliberately discriminating in the websites I am perusing.
I'm trying to clearly view all the ramifications- I want to know them all.

You may be uncomfortable or flat out disagree with the article I posted from The Wildlife Society- tell me if you know the article to be untrue. The article was sad to read, but appears to be a realistic view.
I am open to updated research information.

Some believe a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I tend to find, in my experience, that comprehensive knowledge often allows me wiser decisions.
What is the wise decision here? I do not know, but I know it must be chosen with regard to EVERY aspect of the situation.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 01-24-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.