Ebay Selling Puppy Mill Dogs

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Can you explain further? Most sites that I frequent want that information, such as Blockbuster, Amazon, etc., etc.,

What type of cyberfraud can result from listing your name, address and email? It seems there would have to be some sort of solicitation from a criminal, such as an email or letter asking for passwords, account numbers, etc. Answering those solicitations would be inviting cyberfraud, but I don't know how someone could harm us just because they have that simple info: name, address, email address.

Can you explain more, please? I'd like to learn and I'm sure others would, too.
Hi K9,

Sites for shopping - such as Amazon have secure servers that protect and encrypt your information in a variety of ways, including setting up an account with your password, typing in optical recognition characters, etc.

E-mail petitions are quite different. You are providing personal info that can be viewed by anyone - including those hackers in Africa that want to pay you the millions of dollars you have won or have been bequeathed, if only you will provide them with you bank transit number - oh and your SS# for tax purposes.

Seniors are a big target for fraud. In many cases, they (we!) have securities that provide us with an income stream, but that could also be turned into cash. One of my good friends (a retired teacher!) really believed that Bill Gates would share $1,000 of his wealth with her if she was one of the first 100,000 who signed this petition and forwarded it to 10 friends. Just do the math!

Barb gives very good advice - take the computer class, you will learn to be a smarter and safer internet user.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

So if I understand correctly, just the fact that our name, address and email address are on a list somewhere, doesn't mean that fraud can be committed. In order for fraud or some type of crime to occur, we must be contacted by someone trying to commit fraud by posing as a legitimate business, person, etc. Since most of our information is already online in databases, we should be vigilant in researching and confirming requests for information by mail, phone, or online. For example, if Paypal or your Bank, or anyone else contacts us and asks for passwords, account numbers, etc., contact that business directly via the phone number that appears on your correspondence from them.

Yes, scammers and crooks and all types of evil are everywhere.

So, while you may hesitate to sign an online petition, you can contact ebay to express your opinions regarding selling of puppies directly if you have a facebook page by using these links:

http://chn.ge/fX5W2S

http://chn.ge/eRb2R9
Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
So if I understand correctly, just the fact that our name, address and email address are on a list somewhere, doesn't mean that fraud can be committed. In order for fraud or some type of crime to occur, we must be contacted by someone trying to commit fraud by posing as a legitimate business, person, etc. Since most of our information is already online in databases, we should be vigilant in researching and confirming requests for information by mail, phone, or online. For example, if Paypal or your Bank, or anyone else contacts us and asks for passwords, account numbers, etc., contact that business directly via the phone number that appears on your correspondence from them.

Yes, scammers and crooks and all types of evil are everywhere.

So, while you may hesitate to sign an online petition, you can contact ebay to express your opinions regarding selling of puppies directly if you have a facebook page by using these links:

http://chn.ge/fX5W2S

http://chn.ge/eRb2R9
Wrong on the first sentence. Fraud CAN be committed because your information has been sent to unknowns who may be hackers. You are exposing your information to unknown sources who can commmit fraud merely from that bit of information about you. Point being....DO NOT ADD YOUR identity in any form to strangers and more so to people you know and trust WHO DO NOT DELETE THE PRIOR ADDRESSES ON THE EMAILS.

Why add your information for strangers to see? You're inviting trouble. If you have friends that do not erase the listings of email addresses and forward you emails with so many names on it from prior forwards, that's the problem. That email with your name on it continues on to be forwarded by whomever you forwarded it to and the list grows and grows to a point where hackers can have a field day with all of the names listed in just one email.

When you deal with banks, companies such as Amazon, you register and sign into their website and are then on a secured site where only the principles involved can enter this site.

I feel the more I attempt to explain this, the more confusion you may feel. Really, the best way for you to protect yourself is to use the "search" tool and research for the answers or doubts that you may have.

I have emailed everyone on my email address listing that I will NOT open any emails that have "FWD" on the subject line because that shows that the particular email has crossed many paths to get to you and is subject to adding you to this path of innocent or not people.

I'm sure that you would get much satisfaction if you attended the computer classes here in TV, that is if you reside in TV. This in no way is an attempt to interfere with your very kind effort to help our animals. Kudos for you doing your best efforts. Hope that you will accept this information in kind to help you to avoid any form of ID foul play.....barb

PS: Your last sentence is a big resounding YES. Do not give ANYONE your personal information from an email you receive. You MUST call to confirm the ligitimacy of the received email.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Help Those Who Cannot Help Themselves

The Villages Florida The Villages Florida

The photos above are dogs kept by a backyard breeder in a mobile home on the rear of his property. The photo below is a puppy mill -- notice it is a stone building with no windows. These dogs live in pure blackness -- no light at all. Can you imagine the stench?

The Villages Florida

These are some of the breeder dogs from "personal sales" from backyard breeders and puppy mills. My first little poodle looked like the bony one when I rescued her, but she was blind, had no teeth, and was so weak she could not stand up or walk. She was only 6 years old.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Default Petfinder

I have adopted 3 animals (1 dog & 2 cats) by either going to my local shelter or searching petfinder. All were rescued from pet mills or a back yard breeder. This is horrible that they are now using eBay.

Hope you can stop them.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

God bless you, Mitch Duval, for rescuing those sweet dogs. All (most) dogs are sweethearts, whether they are trapped in a cage their whole lives, have been abused in medical labs, used for dog fighting, or neglected on a chain in the backyard with little food, no water, and no companionship. Sadly, some go insane.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.