Must my dog be on a leash when outside with us in our yard? Or only when walking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Thank you for posting this. Found “Sec. 4-7. - Public nuisance animals” very enlightening. We have a neighbor that lets their dog just continuously bark on their lanai most morning when we are trying to have a peaceful breakfast on our lanai. They will occasionally scream “hush” but then just let it keep barking. Time to start documenting these occurrences.
actually, feel bad for the fur baby....he is barking at something, most likely wants to come into the house, and doesn't want to be on the lani alone. He needs company (fur baby bud) or toys to play with or just let him in the house period.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:57 AM
Default Might have missed my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You have asserted in several posts that dogs must be leashed while on the owner's property. Can you show an ordinance that states that? Yes, the definition of Direct Control includes those words but I could not find where the ordinance required a dog on it's owner's property to be under direct control.

I trust my dog and I trust the invisible fences but sometimes mistakes happen - and they can be costly. But, don't confuse safe practices with legal requirements.
The paragraph below is directly from the Deed restrictions for the area I live in, I think this language is in all deed restrictions so you are required to keep your dog on a leash in your yard. I have personally had an incident recently when walking down a street where two dogs came out of a yard across the street looking friendly. When they got close, they started growling and circling. I yelled at the owner who was on her phone, she softly called them back, they finally went to her. I like dogs, but you cannot predict how an animal will respond to a stranger. Keep your dog on a leash even in your yard, it is just a courteous thing to do with houses so close together. Even though your neighbors seem to not care when your dog runs to them, not everyone wants to pet your animal every time they walk outside.
From deed restrictions:
Birds, fish, dogs and cats shall be permitted, with a maximum of two (2) pets per Homesite. Each Owner shall be personally responsible for any damage caused to dedicated or reserved areas by any such pet and shall be responsible to immediately remove and dispose of any excrement of such pet and shall be responsible to keep
such pet on a leash. No other animals, livestock, or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any Hornesite or on dedicated or reserved areas.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,479 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
The dog has to be on a leash at all times, an invisible fence is an exception
Perhaps either you don’t live in Sumter County and not required to obey its laws, or I have mis-read/misunderstood the Sumter County laws regarding dogs not needing to be leashed in their own yards.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,460 Times in 2,550 Posts

Is it just me, or does anyone else find all this 'fur baby' stuff a bit nauseating?
It's a b*****y dog.
No wonder over half the mannerless mutts are out of control, poor little things are suffering from identity crisis!
Old 11-16-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,538 Posts
Default Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else find all this 'fur baby' stuff a bit nauseating?
It's a b*****y dog.
No wonder over half the mannerless mutts are out of control, poor little things are suffering from identity crisis!
Full grown dog = dog. Baby dog = puppy.
Fur baby = derogatory term for child with hypertrichosis, aka: werewolf syndrome. Demeaning to both humans and dogs. Usually used to try and sound cute, or to anthropomorphize something not human.

While I like dogs, I hate it when people try to make their animal sound like something it isn't.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Full grown dog = dog. Baby dog = puppy.
Fur baby = derogatory term for child with hypertrichosis, aka: werewolf syndrome. Demeaning to both humans and dogs. Usually used to try and sound cute, or to anthropomorphize something not human.

While I like dogs, I hate it when people try to make their animal sound like something it isn't.
I wuv my widdle 14-year-old fur-baby puppy-wuppy.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Yep, obvious place to look... but not there either

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-16-2021, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjbatl View Post
The paragraph below is directly from the Deed restrictions for the area I live in, I think this language is in all deed restrictions so you are required to keep your dog on a leash in your yard. I have personally had an incident recently when walking down a street where two dogs came out of a yard across the street looking friendly. When they got close, they started growling and circling. I yelled at the owner who was on her phone, she softly called them back, they finally went to her. I like dogs, but you cannot predict how an animal will respond to a stranger. Keep your dog on a leash even in your yard, it is just a courteous thing to do with houses so close together. Even though your neighbors seem to not care when your dog runs to them, not everyone wants to pet your animal every time they walk outside.
From deed restrictions:
Birds, fish, dogs and cats shall be permitted, with a maximum of two (2) pets per Homesite. Each Owner shall be personally responsible for any damage caused to dedicated or reserved areas by any such pet and shall be responsible to immediately remove and dispose of any excrement of such pet and shall be responsible to keep
such pet on a leash. No other animals, livestock, or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any Hornesite or on dedicated or reserved areas.
So do the deed restrictions say to you that your dog needs to be on a leash indoors as well? Or, are they referring to "dedicated or reserved areas?"

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-16-2021, 02:18 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,814 Times in 3,670 Posts

Quote:
Yep, obvious place to look... but not there either
Really?????

Phone number

Email address

& they don't have answers????
Old 11-16-2021, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Really?????

Phone number

Email address

& they don't have answers????
Not my question, not my problem, not my phone call to make.

My statement was that I did not see a reference to a leash law in the ordinance. I do not see a reference to a leash law on the animal control site either.d

I'm not a lawyer so saying, "this guy on ToTV told me..." won't help much in court. But if a poster is going claim that something is law then they sure ought to be able to point to some official source to back them up.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
You're asking questions: Can you show an ordinance that states that? Yes, the definition of Direct Control includes those words but I could not find where the ordinance required a dog on it's owner's property to be under direct control.

Last edited by dewilson58; 11-16-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Just saw a dog tied to a tree in front yard with no one in sight.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:

My statement was that I did not see a reference to a leash law in the ordinance. I do not see a reference to a leash law on the animal control site either.d

I'm not a lawyer so saying, "this guy on ToTV told me..." won't help much in court. But if a poster is going claim that something is law then they sure ought to be able to point to some official source to back them up.
Quote:
You're asking questions: Can you show an ordinance that states that? Yes, the definition of Direct Control includes those words but I could not find where the ordinance required a dog on it's owner's property to be under direct control.

That question and statement were for TravelHunter who made the assertion. I was not asking the general board and I was not asking Animal Control, though if someone had an applicable link it would be helpful. TravelHunter made the assertion several times so they must have authoritative info to back it up. Their contact info might be useful but I'm sure he/she will see my post and reply (or not).

The Animal Control contact info is great for the OP.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-16-2021, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
I was not asking the general board
FYI:
Comment on a public board, it's public.

Private Messages, are much more private.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
FYI:
Comment on a public board, it's public.

Private Messages, are much more private.

Thank you for that helpful piece of information.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, today, yard, dog, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.