Must my dog be on a leash when outside with us in our yard? Or only when walking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Short answer is your dog doesn’t have to be on a leash while in your yard.

We have an invisible fence, which is effective in keeping our dog in our yard. Note that if your dog leaves your yard, you’re in violation. Also, as noted above, you want to be outside with it in case a wild animal tries to take off with it.
The dog has to be on a leash at all times, an invisible fence is an exception
Old 11-16-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
The rules listed are for Sumter County and very involved to see/find a leash law. Sounds like as long as your dog will not leave your yard then a leash is not needed but if the dog tends to chase people or roam then a leash is needed.
No, the dog must be on a leash and under your control
Old 11-16-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd2008 View Post
Sumter County Leash Law.

sumtercounty-fl.elaws.us/code/coor_ch4_sec4-4
Direct control shall mean immediate and continuous physical control of an animal at all times such as by means of a fence, leash, cord, or chain of sufficient strength to restrain the animal;

Typical for most counties nationwide.
Note, the inclusion of fence
You can allow your dog to roam on your “Fenced” property, but must be on a leash if not fenced
Old 11-16-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
If your home is within Lady Lake town limits you can let the dog off leash in your yard but you must have control of the dog. A leash is required outside of your property.
No, only if fenced
Old 11-16-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
This is an important point and deserves repeating.

YOU know that YOUR dog is friendly. The person your dog is barreling towards does not. I've seen Pit Bulls happily wave their tails as they ran to (and torn into) other dogs.

It is also just good manners to train your dog not to jump on people. I've had friendly dogs put their dirty paws on my uniform pants and squad car door.
Good reply, also some people are very allergic to dogs
Old 11-16-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
If I was in a charitable mood when a passerby said something like that, I would kindly tell him to keep walking. But I'm not in a charitable mood when someone infringes on my rights.. So my comment would probably end with .. And the horse you rode in on ..

If it was a "friend" I'd thank him for the input, say you want to change the topic and have a beer.
Your rights do not allow you to infringe on the “domestic harmony” of others or your neighborhood.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Dronsfield View Post
We have a very arrogant neighbor behind us. They have no yard we however have a very large wedge lot which they think they can share with us, no regards for private property. Anyhow my wife was out spreading some cracker and bread crumbs for the wild critters when arrogance struck, the neighbor lady had her dog and herself in our yard and informs my wife that she doesn't want her dog eating that stuff, HELLO! quick fix remove yourself and dog from our yard and problem solved. This is just the beginning, the neighbor lady is sitting on our patio while her dog roams freely using our yard as a public dog walk. I was polite the first time and asked her to leave, the second time I was a bit more forceful and demanded she leave. Oh her and the husband thought they were creative and let the dog roam in the yard while they stood on their little strip of property. Well this made it a challenge for them as they had to come into the yard to pick up the poop. I ordered them out of the yard when they got offensive, they have some kind of idea that this yard also belongs to them. Sheriff told me there is no leash law in Sumter County, but that still should not allow others to freely use others yards as their own. What should be my next line of defense??
There is a leash law, call animal control.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:30 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Domestic Harmony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Your rights do not allow you to infringe on the “domestic harmony” of others or your neighborhood.
And likewise, your dislike of dogs will not infringe upon my rights. So just walk by my house and mind your own business.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Note, the inclusion of fence
You can allow your dog to roam on your “Fenced” property, but must be on a leash if not fenced
You have asserted in several posts that dogs must be leashed while on the owner's property. Can you show an ordinance that states that? Yes, the definition of Direct Control includes those words but I could not find where the ordinance required a dog on it's owner's property to be under direct control.

I trust my dog and I trust the invisible fences but sometimes mistakes happen - and they can be costly. But, don't confuse safe practices with legal requirements.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-16-2021, 08:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,926 Times in 3,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You have asserted in several posts that dogs must be leashed while on the owner's property. Can you show an ordinance that states that? Yes, the definition of Direct Control includes those words but I could not find where the ordinance required a dog on it's owner's property to be under direct control.

I trust my dog and I trust the invisible fences but sometimes mistakes happen - and they can be costly. But, don't confuse safe practices with legal requirements.
try: Animal Services | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 11-16-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,308 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
If I was in a charitable mood when a passerby said something like that, I would kindly tell him to keep walking. But I'm not in a charitable mood when someone infringes on my rights.. So my comment would probably end with .. And the horse you rode in on ..

If it was a "friend" I'd thank him for the input, say you want to change the topic and have a beer.
Your charitable mood shows great restraint. Fortunately, we live in a wonderful neighborhood where the only comment I have ever received from passerby’s is, “would it be OK if I pet your beautiful dog”.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:39 AM

I would keep your dog on a leash while outside. What's the chance your dog runs after another dog or a person. It is not worth the risk.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,926 Times in 3,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2016 View Post
I would keep your dog on a leash while outside. What's the chance your dog runs after another dog or a person. It is not worth the risk.
"You can't make me"

Old 11-16-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,308 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2016 View Post
The chance is zero, unless one of us tells her it is OK. She is a very well trained dog and would never leave my wife’s or my control without permission. That being said, not all dogs are properly trained.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
One fleeting moment, passing dog barking, unaware car with animal, wild critter and your fur baby would be gone forever, not worth risk.
I agree! I've seen a bald eagle eating someone's very large cat on top of a pole within view of our house. It wasn't a feral cat since it was so big and fat and bigger than alot of dogs I see here. Just FYI...
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, today, yard, dog, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.