Need to Find a Good Kennel

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Default Need to Find a Good Kennel

We're here for the month, but flying back to OH for my aunt's 90th birthday on Sunday. I need to find a kennel for our 13 yr old fox terrier for just a few days. I'll steer clear of Paw Spa after seeing a negative post recently. Can anyone give me suggestions of a kennel that you've been satisfied with?
Terri
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM

I highly recommend Mulberry Grove Animal Hospital on CR 42. They have wonderful kennel facilities and of course if there is any type of medical emergency, there are 2 terrific vets who are available.
We've used it for our dogs - one who was 15 at the time and another only 2. Always had a good experience with them.
Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Bedtime Tails has an ad on this forum and is highly popular with people in TV. I see that they are going to have an open house. Check it out.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Platinum member

ABCD (All Bout Cats and Dogs) in Belleview are great. Used them for a week for our collie when we arrived here in Sept a week before our house closing. See www.abcdpetresort.com for all info.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Sage

I'm sending a PM with my recommendation.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We have used ABCD kennels as well when we visited the area last december, january. We found them to be very professional and reasonably priced.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
ABCD (All Bout Cats and Dogs) in Belleview are great. Used them for a week for our collie when we arrived here in Sept a week before our house closing. See www.abcdpetresort.com for all info.
I can give a thumbs up to ABCD. We boarded our two dogs there and they were always wonderful to us.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

An old post of mine from a previous thread about boarding dogs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before you board your dog in a kennel, listen to see if they ask you for proof of vaccinations and other precautions (like worm tests) are required. Then, ask them how that is enforced and how they keep up-to-date records with their doggie clients.

Find out how many times a day the dog is taken out of the kennel/run and actually taken for a walk outside.

Will the establishment give your dog food that you provide in lieu of feeding their own brand? A change of food can upset a dog's stomach.

If you board your dog at a veterinarian, be sure that the boarding dogs are kept in separate rooms from the other dogs. You don't want your dog in the same room with dogs that are at the vet because they are sick.

Dogs get very bored, frustrated and nervous when they are in a kennel, especially for a long period. They don't understand that you will be returning for them. They are surrounded by other unhappy dogs that bark constantly trying to tell someone to let them out of "jail". Dogs that spend a long time in a kennel will often forget their housebreaking manners, and suffer emotional trauma for a long time after coming home. The emotional trauma could cause vomiting and diarrhea for several days.

It is not good for a dog to be in a kennel for extended periods. That is why rescue groups find foster homes for dogs until a permanent home is found.

If you can find a "cageless" facility with a large play area that would be best. However, when the dogs are loose in a playgroup they must be monitored 100% of the time. Ask the ratio of "monitors" to dogs, it shouldn't be less than one person for 15 dogs. Dogs should be separated into playgroups according to size and temperment. (Old dogs and young puppies, even though the same size, are not good companions, and timid dogs with rambunctious dogs is not ideal, either. And, you never want your little dog in with big dogs -- accidents happen). The dogs should be put in separate kennels for sleeping and eating.

If you choose to keep your dog at home and use a pet sitter, the dog will be very lonely.

Instead, find someone who stays at home (doesn't work full time) and will take your dog into their own home. Before you take him to his new home-away-from-home, let him stay with that new person in their home a couple of times for 4 hour periods each (yes, you will be paying for that). This way, the dog learns that you will be coming back to pick them up, and they also get to know the person that will be caring for them. This way, you can be sure that your dog gets along with the caretaker and any other animals in that household. If your dog is not eager to return to the caretaker after a couple of 4-hour test visits, then find another caretaker.

When you finally leave your dog, take along their own bed and something that is familiar like a favorite toy, or their regular dog dish. Also take something that smells like you, like a t-shirt that hasn't been washed or a sock that needs laundering. Give the caretaker your dog's regular food, but don't just hand over a big bag of food. Separate each meal into small baggies. That way, the caretaker will know how much to feed your dog at mealtime.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

Check out Bedtime Tails. I take my dog there and she loves it. I love it, too.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Preppy Pets in Leesburg

Buffalo Ridge in Villages
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Preppy Pets in Leesburg

Buffalo Ridge Animal Hosp in Villages (has emeg staff there at night). Daytime Vets are great accomadations excellent

Bedtime Tails in Summerfield.. Stay away from from Pet Spa. Bad report in forum on this laocation and we have jsut had abad experience.

Good Luck
Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Bedtime tails 35is the best, Board my 2 dogs there 352-347-7183
Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
ABCD (All Bout Cats and Dogs) in Belleview are great. Used them for a week for our collie when we arrived here in Sept a week before our house closing. See Pet Boarding in Ocala, Marion County, Belleview, FL - All 'Bout Cats & Dogs Pet Resort, full-service pet care facility, pet boarding, pet grooming, animal day care for dogs and cats for all info.
Have heard good things about ABCD in Belleview. Some of the Doggie Doo Run Run (dog park on CR101 and CR104) people swear by them. Doggie Doo Run Run (boarding part) is good if your dog is very well socialized and has no problems with eating around strangers and the like.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM

I found the boarding hints/tips very helpful! Thanks for reposting!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 AM

We have 2 dogs and have left them on many occasions at Bedtyme Tails Kennel. They get so excited when we pull up to the facility. I would highly recommend them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.