Neighbors barking dog.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

County Code 4-7 - To allow your dog to bark excessively and continuously is in violation of ordinance.
Sumter County, FL - Official Website - Ordinance Highlights

It doesn't get more simple than that. And I assume the other counties that make up TV have similar ordinances.

I hope you are able to work it out with your neighbor.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Sage

This is quoted from the Real Estate Principles, Practice and Law 36th edition

"quiet enjoyment.. A provision in a deed guaranteeing that the buyer may enjoy possession of the property in peace and without disturbance by reason of other claims on the title by the seller or anyone else"
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichjr View Post
What can / should I do about a in house large dog that barks all the time ? My wife and I can not enjoy outside patio reading and napping. The dog barks at all strange, passing by trucks, golf carts, other dogs, people etc.. The dog barks the most, when owners are away from the house. For the most part, the dog is always inside the home.
It would be interesting to hear from the OP how this March 10 issue was resolved.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
County Code 4-7 - To allow your dog to bark excessively and continuously is in violation of ordinance.
Sumter County, FL - Official Website - Ordinance Highlights

It doesn't get more simple than that. And I assume the other counties that make up TV have similar ordinances.

I hope you are able to work it out with your neighbor.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM

I am getting ready to close on a house shortly and when I visited it recently to check some measurements, the dog next door heard me by the gate and started barking, while she was completely enclosed in their own house. The neighbors are also new, and quieted it down quickly, but told me that the dog is used to running in the great outdoors and not to being confined in a house. Let's hope few of us have barking dog problems. Had that dog been barking while I was choosing a home, I probably would have chosen a different home. Let's hope our neighbors dogs get to know us and will quiet down quickly after they hear our voice.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM

We need to be careful not to assume the validity of every neighbors complaint. I am aware of a situation in my neighborhood where the complaining party is generally negative toward dogs. The dog he is complaining about is an extremely well behaved animal that is loved by all of the other neighbors. No one has ever heard the dog barking except briefly when someone comes to the door. The complaining party, on the other hand, has a surround sound system which he occasionally plays at a level which disturbs a large number of neighbors. Just saying.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I think the owners need to learn how to train the dog or call a professional trainer, this is not rocket science.

Talk to them

But if you want to be a creep call animal control

"It is a violation of County Code 4-7 to allow any dog to bark continuously"

But the dog will wind up well U know!!!!
For goodness sake,

This is ridiculous logic! Every pet owner who is told to quiet their dog does not take them to the pound to be put down. They need to know what a nuisance it is for their neighbors. If no one tells them, how will they know?
There could be a problem with the animal, as well, and just because people expect laws to be obeyed by their neighbors does not make them a creep!
I think it is a little creepy to expect your neighbors to listen to your pet bark non stop!
That is like not reporting a burglar because they may end up in jail!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Most of us are reasonable neighbors. If you have spoken to the neighbor in question and there has been no change, only then should you consider doing something different. We live too close to one another here to create a hostile living environment. Take the up road - get to know the neighbor, invite the neighbor over and massage the issue in an "adult" non-threatening manner. I think this approach will have a better outcome than simply calling and reporting to appropriate authorities. Take a long breath and think about it......
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Sage

Okay, people how about a speck of common sense. People in general have no desire for any confrontation with a neighbor. That's one of the things we pay law enforcement/code enforcement/community standards people for. If a barking dog is an issue, make the call. No deputy on a first call is going to ring the offending owners' bell, and shoot the dog. IMHO, they will get some sort of a warning. If this is not enough of a wakeup call, you probably don't want to be involved yourself.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM

I agree with Barefoot, get the dog some exercise. All dogs bark, especially when they are home. They have an instinct to protect their property so they will bark. If the owners would be more pro-active with their dog and get it some exercise, I'm sure the dog will settle down. Also, the owners should take a little more responsibility and try to correct the dog when it barks. I have two little dogs that bark at everything, but I try to discipline them by getting up out of my chair and telling them "No". A nice talk with the owners of the dog would be beneficial also. Don't go to authorities right away. Try to solve the issue with kindness first. Know one wants to loose their dog to authorities if another solution is available.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage

We have lived with barking dog issue for some time. My wife and I are in the category of folks that feel uncomfortable approaching the people. In our case the people live behind us in a court yard villa. In this configuration we never see them and we do not know them like we know our neighbors on our street. I am not sure what my first line is when I knock on the door

Last year we left them a nice note asking them if they could keep the dogs from barking. I think they try as the dogs are brought in within a few minutes of barking. I suspect they do not quite have the skill set to make it stop. When this happens during the day it is no big deal. The issue is it can happen at 2 AM, 4 AM or almost every day at 7:15 – 7:45. When they are let out they bark. Not a nuisance that continues all morning, but it can wake you up if you sleeping in. I cannot imagine my horror if I let Caly (our dog) out at 4AM and she started barking even one bark. I can promise you she would never go out again without being on a very short leash….

So I live with it and hope someday I bump into them while trimming bushes out back. I think once we start talking I could more easily bring it up and see how they think, but until then it is not the end of the world....

PS. If you own 2 or more dogs and are in a Villa off of Murphy's Estates lets get to know each other.

Last edited by ajbrown; 03-17-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: moved text from middle to PS, changed PS.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie47 View Post
We need to be careful not to assume the validity of every neighbors complaint. I am aware of a situation in my neighborhood where the complaining party is generally negative toward dogs. The dog he is complaining about is an extremely well behaved animal that is loved by all of the other neighbors. No one has ever heard the dog barking except briefly when someone comes to the door. The complaining party, on the other hand, has a surround sound system which he occasionally plays at a level which disturbs a large number of neighbors. Just saying.
Sorry to hear, that you have disbelieve opinions towards your neighbor. You must be a dog owner !! Where do you live in relationship, to be able to hear and judge the extent of the dog barking ? Remember, dog owners don't hear what non dog-owners do.

Last edited by Nichjr; 03-14-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.