What to do about my cat

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
lary - What a sweet face! No wonder the buyers wanted him. And a bull mastiff! I LOVE that breed. They are such sweet giants. Where's his pic?
Here you go Red. His name is Murphy.

The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida
Old 03-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm kidnapping both of 'em! I lost my Maine coon and I miss my big girl. And I love, love, love bulls. Murphy looks like a doll baby -- love the side tongue, such a bullish thing to do. LMK when I can come visit 'em.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
We showed our home twice and accepted the offer from the second couple. We left the cat in the house (he's an indoor Maine Coon) and told the realtor to make sure he didn't get out. He said it wouldn't be a problem and does it all the time. When I returned from driving my drooling Bullmastiff around for 4 hours, my agent told me how much he liked our cat and that the people looking at the house liked him too. Two days later we exchanged offers and agreed to sell. The next morning we received a call from my agent saying that he had a strange request from the buyers. They still loved the house and were still buying, but wanted to know if we would be willing to leave the cat! In this case, I think he might have helped with the sale. By the way, I respectfully declined, I'm not going anywhere without him! I never liked cats, so it's pretty strange to so attached to one.

The Villages Florida
He's gorgeous, and so is Murphy.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Gold member
Default another cat/selling house story

Used to have 2 gold cats (litter mates). Got them in Wisconsin, moved back to Ohio in 1989. Realtor said no problem with the first Open House, left them there.

Came home and thought one of the cats was acting awfully strange, raised hair, just acting weird. Suddenly notice there were 3 cats in the family room. Took a good look and it was actually the next door neighbor's cat, which they allowed outside.

Seems our neighbor's cat was outside the door in the bushes when the Realtor closed down the Open House, and she spent about a half hour trying to catch it and get it back inside - she thought one of ours had somehow gotten out!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM

The first house we bought came with a cat, the owners kept coming back to get their cat, but that didn`t work, so we agreed to keep him. My wife became attached to the cat and one day when I came home, she was upset, the cat was hit by a car, I buried the cat and 3 days later during a storm at night, I opened the do to let the dog out, and the cat ran into the house,,,,, I buried the wrong cat...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

These stories gave me a good laugh - a great way to start the day.

Unfortunately I've made the decision not to bring my 12 yr old indoor silver tabby with me, but right now I'm not finding many options that I think would work to place her with someone else - she's not declawed (and I'm geting new furniture), she doesn't like people (unless they are wearing dark pants and she can leave cat hair all over them), she cries a lot (that started soon after my husband passed away) and sleeps most of the time.

Maybe I should change my house listing to 'Cat for sale - includes house'.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Taylor when I read your note my heart went out to your grieving cat. Senior cats are extremely hard to place and after being your companion for all these years she deserves to make the move with you. Having had cats, I can tell you that there are ways to stop a cat from scratching furniture. I'm hoping that you will reconsider and take her with you to TV. A volunteer at Petco told me that they adopt out many senior cats here in TV so if you decide that you cannot keep her consider bringing her to Petco here in TV where she will have a better shot at being adopted.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Thanks for your thoughts. I keep saying I don't want to take the cat with me, but my heart is not buying it and my friends just laugh at me - they know I'll probably keep her. She'd love the Villages. Having a lanai would put her in heaven. Since she's an indoor cat, she thinks sitting under the Christmas tree is an outside adventure.

OK then, assuming we both will be settling in the Villages, how does one travel with a cat (by car) for a long distance? Or would it be better to fly down with her?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Taylor, great news!! I'm sure that you will get lots of responses on traveling with a cat. Also, on page 7 of this thread (All About Pets) you will find 45 messages on traveling with a cat. Both you and your tabby will love the lifestyle.

Last edited by duffysmom; 03-21-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
Having a lanai would put her in heaven. Since she's an indoor cat, she thinks sitting under the Christmas tree is an outside adventure.
I think it's great that she makes an adventure out of sitting under the Christmas tree. However, I hope she doesn't use the tree to mark her territory!
The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Sage

Back in the days before our four cats checked out (one by one over about 2 years), they used to have a ball at Christmastime. They thought the decorated tree was purely for their enjoyment. They took great delight in snagging ornaments off the lower branches of the tree every year and batting them about. One used to like to race by, stick up a paw, and knock things off as he then raced on out of the room. After a number of years of this "fun", Sandy resorted to leaving the decorations off about the bottom foot or so of the tree so that we wouldn't constantly be trying to find stray ornaments. Made the tree look kinda goofy! By that time, though, the cats were getting older and just lying under the tree was about all the fun they were looking for...........

Bill
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Back in the days before our four cats checked out (one by one over about 2 years), they used to have a ball at Christmastime. They thought the decorated tree was purely for their enjoyment. They took great delight in snagging ornaments off the lower branches of the tree every year and batting them about. One used to like to race by, stick up a paw, and knock things off as he then raced on out of the room. After a number of years of this "fun", Sandy resorted to leaving the decorations off about the bottom foot or so of the tree so that we wouldn't constantly be trying to find stray ornaments. Made the tree look kinda goofy! By that time, though, the cats were getting older and just lying under the tree was about all the fun they were looking for...........

Bill
We has one several years ago that thought she could climb the tree and knocked it over!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
We has one several years ago that thought she could climb the tree and knocked it over!
Shhh... Don't give her any ideas.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Sage

I had a cat who wanted to open the presents under the tree. She would claw a hole in the corner of each wrapped gift. And sadly, none of them were for her.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM

No presents for the cat? My cat has her own stocking.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.